From the Bridge: A Luxury Revolution Means Ultra-Luxe May Be For You After All

LauraS

Very interesting article. I agree with some of it (but, Viking Ocean is not a luxury cruise line) - however, IMHO, CC is not in touch with what luxury cruisers want. Yes - Regent's newest ship has 750 passengers while Seabourn and Silversea has far less passenger capacity. Crystal's ships are old and, yes, they are bigger. Luxury cruisers tend to want smaller ships. So, anything over 1,000 passengers makes our heads spin.

• 2 months later...

Viking is a luxury cruise line. Ultra cruise lines are Silversea, Seabourn, Regent better known as 6 star cruise lines. Viking is 5 1/2 star. When all the cruise line reviewers learn to use the star system there will be no mix up. We can use the terms ultra luxury, luxury, premium but what do call cruise lines that are less than premium?

Viking is a luxury cruise line. Ultra cruise lines are Silversea, Seabourn, Regent better known as 6 star cruise lines. Viking is 5 1/2 star. When all the cruise line reviewers learn to use the star system there will be no mix up. We can use the terms ultra luxury, luxury, premium but what do call cruise lines that are less than premium?

I've never heard of Silversea, Regent and Seabourn classified as ultra luxury (I've only heard that term recently used, associated with the upcoming batch of yacht-style cruise vessels from Scenic, Ritz Carlton, etc..). It was my understanding that those lines would be in the 'luxury' tier, while Viking would be in the Luxury-lite/premium plus category with Oceania, Azamara, Windstar, and a few others. But perhaps I'm wrong.

In any case, to answer your other question, lines that are beneath the 'premium' category are considered in the 'contemporary' category (Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Carnival, Disney)

I would be happy to use a star system but since there isn't one that is recognized by all (and never will be either), we'll just have to live with our approximations.

I've never heard of Silversea, Regent and Seabourn classified as ultra luxury (I've only heard that term recently used, associated with the upcoming batch of yacht-style cruise vessels from Scenic, Ritz Carlton, etc..). It was my understanding that those lines would be in the 'luxury' tier, while Viking would be in the Luxury-lite/premium plus category with Oceania, Azamara, Windstar, and a few others. But perhaps I'm wrong.

In any case, to answer your other question, lines that are beneath the 'premium' category are considered in the 'contemporary' category (Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Carnival, Disney)

Agree that Silversea, Regent and Seabourn are not classified as "ultra luxury". However, if Oceania, Azamara and Viking are being called "luxury" by CC when they are premium plus or luxury-lite, then I suppose that the first three, in terms of differentiating between the six cruise lines, would need to be called "ultra luxury". I do not to consider Windstar to be luxury but there are a couple that aren't mentioned much -- Sea Dream and the Paul Gauguin. Plus, there are some foreign lines like Hapag-Lloyd that are luxury.

Or I suppose we could call SS, SB,Regent and Crystal Super Super Knock You Dead Luxury.

This silly frequent allusion to a star system means nothing because it is not issued by one central definitive source.

Or I suppose we could call SS, SB,Regent and Crystal Super Super Knock You Dead Luxury.

This silly frequent allusion to a star system means nothing because it is not issued by one central definitive source.

And, don't forget, out "star" man doesn't consider Crystal on the same level as Regent, Silversea and Seabourn, something about the size of the cabins! ;p:p:cool:

The cruise industry has to set the standards for 6 stars (ultra luxury), 5 1/2 stars Luxury, 5 stars (premium).

6 Stars standard

Passengers 1000 max with a 1 to 2 ratio.

Must be all suites with min 275 sq ft not including veranda.

All inclusive (beverages and gratuities).

Food (gourmet cuisine).

Service (impeccable school trained).

The bottom line there must be a standard set for the top level of cruising for this to work.

It'll never happen, as we've discussed before, because there are too many variables. Not to mention that the cruise market is constantly changing. Just based on the 'standards' you suggested, you couldn't even say any particular line is 5 or 6 star because many lines have ships that exceed some of your limits and others that don't. Want to create confusion? Tell people that their chosen cruise line is 5, 5 1/2, or 6 star depending on the ship they choose. And then the entire scale has to slip when the new offerings from Ritz or others exceed the current standards...

No, rating cruise lines isn't like rating hotels or restaurants simply because there are way more moving parts. Rating a cruise line is line rating a hotel...AND a restaurant...AND a tour service...AND a transportation company - all wrapped into one.

Personally, I don't care how many arbitrary stars my chosen line has - I care about service, itinerary, cost, and feel. And really, no one knows my definition of 'luxury' better than me.

The cruise industry has to set the standards for 6 stars (ultra luxury), 5 1/2 stars Luxury, 5 stars (premium).

6 Stars standard

Passengers 1000 max with a 1 to 2 ratio.

Must be all suites with min 275 sq ft not including veranda.

All inclusive (beverages and gratuities).

Food (gourmet cuisine).

Service (impeccable school trained).

The bottom line there must be a standard set for the top level of cruising for this to work.

Can you please direct me to where the cruise industry has set down these requirements? Which publication? And who in the industry has the authority to assign these stars?

I am trying to set standards for the cruise industry. It's not up to the cruise lines to set the standards. It's up to the cruise line reviewers who should set the standards. I did talk to the CEO of CLIA ( cruise line international association) who agree with me who should set the standards. Ultra luxury standards must have least what I stated above. Generally speaking most seasoned cruisers who have been on 6 and 5 star cruises would know the difference and agree with me. I do know what are the 6 star cruise lines: Europa 2, Regent, Seabourn, Silversea. In relation to the new type of ships coming out they are called super mega yachts. I am booked on the first new super mega yacht called Scenic Eclipse in 2018. I have been reading the brochure from Scenic and by 6 star standards this would be 6 stars.

Well, I'm sure there are a lot of Crystal regulars who would disagree with the classification suggested here. And technically, Europa 2 is a ship, not a line. And Hapag-Lloyd only operates the one ship that meets these 'standards' - in fact, there are quite a few lines who operate ships both above and below the requirements stated here. :confused:

I'm not holding my breath. Besides, one could meet all of the standards mentioned and still provide a sub-par experience.

"Contemporary category" seems a misuse of the word.

Contemporary - "modern or ultra modern in style or design" (The Oxford Dictionary)

I would think Viking fits this category.

I am trying to set standards for the cruise industry. It's not up to the cruise lines to set the standards. It's up to the cruise line reviewers who should set the standards. I did talk to the CEO of CLIA ( cruise line international association) who agree with me who should set the standards. Ultra luxury standards must have least what I stated above. Generally speaking most seasoned cruisers who have been on 6 and 5 star cruises would know the difference and agree with me. I do know what are the 6 star cruise lines: Europa 2, Regent, Seabourn, Silversea. In relation to the new type of ships coming out they are called super mega yachts. I am booked on the first new super mega yacht called Scenic Eclipse in 2018. I have been reading the brochure from Scenic and by 6 star standards this would be 6 stars.

So basically all your posts are based on your own opinion. And we all know what people say about opinions.

Please stop making your posts seem like they come from some authority. I understand that you consider yourself an authority but I certainly do not,

So basically all your posts are based on your own opinion. And we all know what people say about opinions.

Please stop making your posts seem like they come from some authority. I understand that you consider yourself an authority but I certainly do not,

+++++++1 :p

What makes you an authority when you comment on cruise critic? If you have a better idea on what makes a cruise line luxury by all means tell us? What makes your opinions different? Like you said we all know what people say about opinions.

What makes you an authority when you comment on cruise critic? If you have a better idea on what makes a cruise line luxury by all means tell us? What makes your opinions different? Like you said we all know what people say about opinions.

I do not post what qualities a cruise line should offer in order to get a certain amount of stars. You do. I admit my posts are my opinion. You do not. You are certainy entitled to think what you want, just not to imply that what you think is somehow the end all and be all or the standard for qualifying how good a cruise line is.

I do not post what qualities a cruise line should offer in order to get a certain amount of stars. You do. I admit my posts are my opinion. You do not. You are certainy entitled to think what you want, just not to imply that what you think is somehow the end all and be all or the standard for qualifying how good a cruise line is.

You are wrong. My standards are the end all. There is no authority who set the standards. If anybody has a say it's the cruise reviewers. What I am trying to establish some standards for Luxury Cruise lines by talking to different cruise reviewers. We can debate this forever. My standards are right on and most cruisers who have been 6 or 5 star cruise lines mostly agree with my standards. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't make me wrong. I have been cruising since 1973 this is not my 3rd cruise. I have the same experience if not more than you.

Play nice, kids.

Paul, your posts do often sound like you're referring to an existing industry-wide rating system, which currently doesn't exist and probably never will for the reasons several of us have pointed out on several threads.

You say you've been cruising since 1973. That's good, but it doesn't mean squat if they've all been on mainstream cruise lines. Based on the discussions on many of the boards, your proposed standards could be considered arbitrary and don't accurately reflect the entire experience of a luxury cruise. There's nothing in there about crew attitude. Nothing about being called by name. Nothing about the crew knowing your likes and dislikes. Nothing about the pre- and post-cruise experience. There are a ton of intangibles you can't hang stars on. Luxury is like *********** - I can't tell you what it is but I know it when I see it.

Frankly, between Paul with < 60 posts in 8 years and Wripro with over 13,000 in 13 years, I know whose posts I give more weight to...

Play nice, kids.

Paul, your posts do often sound like you're referring to an existing industry-wide rating system, which currently doesn't exist and probably never will for the reasons several of us have pointed out on several threads.

You say you've been cruising since 1973. That's good, but it doesn't mean squat if they've all been on mainstream cruise lines. Based on the discussions on many of the boards, your proposed standards could be considered arbitrary and don't accurately reflect the entire experience of a luxury cruise. There's nothing in there about crew attitude. Nothing about being called by name. Nothing about the crew knowing your likes and dislikes. Nothing about the pre- and post-cruise experience. There are a ton of intangibles you can't hang stars on. Luxury is like *********** - I can't tell you what it is but I know it when I see it.

Frankly, between Paul with < 60 posts in 8 years and Wripro with over 13,000 in 13 years, I know whose posts I give more weight to...

I don't put much into your thought process saying somebody has more post then some one else. This has absolutely nothing to do with experience. Standards has nothing to do with crew attitude. How did you ever come to the brilliant conclusion that I only did mainstream cruise lines? Obviously you haven't read any of the post.

+++++++1 :p

Make that plus ++++++++++++ 2

The Swiss government rates their hotels by a really accurate star system. We have never been disappointed by thise they rate as 5 star. Maybe the Paul 1439 can take a page from their book for his rating system.

I don't put much into your thought process saying somebody has more post then some one else. This has absolutely nothing to do with experience. Standards has nothing to do with crew attitude. How did you ever come to the brilliant conclusion that I only did mainstream cruise lines? Obviously you haven't read any of the post.

I honestly don't care how you feel about my thought process. I stated my opinion, and we all know what that means based on previous posts..

I merely commented on post count to point out that some people here have taken more of their time to help other cruisers rather than just jump in with some arbitrary standards.

I've read this entire thread, and I've disagreed with your assessment several times. Your 'standards' are random, and they obviously reflect what's important to you. That's fine. But to say that crew attitude doesn't factor into the definition of luxury is just absurd. There are many factors that make a luxury experience, and a surly crew can absolutely ruin an otherwise excellent cruise.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there are way too many moving pieces in this industry to ever devise a consistent, meaningful, and equitable rating system. Just like with the existing cruise rating books - there's no concensus on which lines tank where.

This will be my last post on this thread - you obviously have your view and I have mine. We disagree. Good luck on your crusade.

Bill, brilliant post!

Paul, we (CC posters) really cannot set standards for the cruise industry nor can we determine with any degree of certainty whether a cruise line is luxury or not (referring specifically to Crystal). I feel that you are really trying to tackle a subject that most industry experts have been unable to tackle. And, as a person with probably too many posts, I have learned that attacking other posters just don't work. Somehow we need to read other opinions - try to see where the poster is coming from and debate the issue (not the person).

Just trying to help without attacking.

Edited by Travelcat2

whether a cruise line is luxury or not (referring specifically to Crystal)

You are seriously questioning whether Crystal is defined as a luxury cruise line?

And if my memory is correct you've never sailed Crystal yet feel qualified to question something that pretty much every serious reviewer takes as a given - interesting - is that based on the age of the ships or their size?

We should put you in a room with Crystals CEO - it would be an interesting discussion