Tried and Tested Shoes for Walking Europe

AdventureGal79

Seeking your tried-and-tested recommendations for shoes (brand and line) to wear in Europe! Specifically ladies, but this topic might also be very helpful for men!

I know that shoes are very subjective, but I'm looking for shoes that are comfortable for walking around Europe in. Think cobblestone streets, hard floors of museums and churches, etc.

Bonus points if they look a little classy, or at least not like athletic shoes!

I'm a New Balance 928v3 person as well. They are athletic style. My podiatrist agrees that they are the best for people with foot problems (I've had surgery on both feet). Vionic shoes are a bit more classy and I can get by with them. Another brand that is great for bad feet and cobblestone streets are Keen's and they have several different styles but probably too clunky for your what you have described that you are looking for.

I have been happy in Skechers' GoWalks and when I can find a pair that fits right Clark's Cloudsteppers. Both shoes feature memory foam in the insole and rubber soles. GoWalks come in many styles and fabrics including some that don't look like running shoes. The Clark's look more like grown-up shoes with leather uppers..

They make GoWalks for men as well and DH has been wearing a black mesh moccasin/slip-on that he wears for day and night. In fact, he brings two pairs that look exactly alike. We walked miles and miles through the streets of Barcelona this past December and neither of us complained about aching feet.

Liked my Clarks Cloudstepper deck shoes on my recent trip. They're two tone black and brown so a bit dressier than a tennis shoe Lightweight packing too. For more arch support I also took my Dansco shortie boots. Great for the rain encountered in British Isles.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We cruised the Baltics in June and my Ecco GTX sneakers were extremely comfortable for hours of walking in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallin and St. Petersburg. In additon the GTX style provides waterproofing to keep your feet dry. I have several pairs and always receive compliments from both men and women. They are more expensive than the New Balance and Sketcher sneakers but the Ecco brand has served me well.

I have a new pair of Nike Air Pegasus. two shades of black and black soles. Don't look like trainers but extremely comfy and padded. Then Sketchers for DW and me. Comfy but the foam breaks down rather rapidly with wear. After that, flip flops..:cool:

I have a new pair of Nike Air Pegasus. two shades of black and black soles. Don't look like trainers but extremely comfy and padded. Then Sketchers for DW and me. Comfy but the foam breaks down rather rapidly with wear. After that, flip flops..:cool:

Not for a day of cobblestones and museums.

I'm in the Skechers Go Walk camp. We just returned from the Homelands cruise and seemed to walk every kind of pavement and my legs and feet did just fine. I have the Skechers Goga Max/Go Step shoes, too, which look like soft loafers. And, one of my best purchases: Skechers short boots lined in fleece! I sprayed them for waterproofing and they were warm, dry, and comfortable in all weather. I tend to buy everything on Amazon so I can order multiple sizes, styles, and colors and return everything I decide I don't want. I can also wear them around the house for a little bit to make sure they feel good.

I've been wearing Ecco's for many years. Unfortunately my feet don't tolerate prettier shoes/sandals. I find that their BIOM line has a lot of support and some versions are Goretex lined so they are waterproof. Ecco's come in a variety of styles so I don't feel stuck in the "little old lady/therapeutic" styles. I have been wearing their "Yucatan" sandals for over 10 years now and find they are the best. You have to be aware that the footbed wears out over the years, so even if your shoes look in good condition, the support structure isn't there anymore. I remember my friend's husband, who is a serious runner, replaced his (expensive) runners every few months because of this.

Mia

I know it's early, and Viking hasn't done Alaska yet, but maybe some of you have already cruised on a different line. I'm booked in mid July of 2019, on inside passage. Are there shoes you recommend that aren't strictly outdoor/hiking? I don't hike, really, and I'd like to wear them again

I know it's early, and Viking hasn't done Alaska yet, but maybe some of you have already cruised on a different line. I'm booked in mid July of 2019, on inside passage. Are there shoes you recommend that aren't strictly outdoor/hiking? I don't hike, really, and I'd like to wear them again

We didn't feel the need to pack any special shoes for our Alaska cruise on HAL. My podiatrist only allows me the New Balance so that is what I wore.

Clarks, Eccos and Sketchers just don't have enough support. Since I have found the Vionic brand, I can wear them for short times.

Seeking your tried-and-tested recommendations for shoes (brand and line) to wear in Europe! Specifically ladies, but this topic might also be very helpful for men!

I know that shoes are very subjective, but I'm looking for shoes that are comfortable for walking around Europe in. Think cobblestone streets, hard floors of museums and churches, etc.

Bonus points if they look a little classy, or at least not like athletic shoes!

Paul Green https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EMBLQGO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love them! They look very nice and extremely comfortable :)

I purchased Keens for our 2 months in Europe last April-May as I have issues with Walking and loved them, walked England, Wales, Scotland, Homelands cruise, Belgium, Italy and back again in England and they were great.

When we did the Inner Passage cruise tour with HAL (our first cruise btw) I did a mixture of new balance walking/hikers and country walkers. What's frustrating tho now with NB is that they keep shifting things so the shoes you positively love don't stay around more than 2 yrs. Or they decide that we simply need (God knows why) bright greens and pinks for contrast. Which I detest. Sometimes they'll do updated versions but not often.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On my last 12 day trip in Italy this past September , I packed Asics Gel Cumulus 18's , Birkenstock Arizona's and wore Merrell Moab's on the plane. This was a perfect combination for walking and comfort. I averaged over 20K steps a day. I will be packing these for my Viking Iconic Cities of the Western Mediterranean ocean cruise in January