Cheddar on Norwegian?

GetMeOnThatShip

One distinctive omission I've noticed on the 4 Norwegian cruises I've sailed on - both Caribbean/North America & Europe/Africa itineraries - is a lack of orange cheddar. Instead a white imitation cheese in cellophane wrap is made available for sandwiches & cheeseburgers (it doesn't melt), and only shredded white English cheddar (not the same) is made available for omelets. This is the case in both buffets & dining rooms. I've asked several staffmembers & the bottom line is: Norwegian simply doesn't buy orange cheddar.

Does anyone else who sails Norwegian miss orange cheddar?

cd6224e81aa927d607fbabfd39ad49d3.jpg

One distinctive omission I've noticed on the 4 Norwegian cruises I've sailed on - both Caribbean/North America & Europe/Africa itineraries - is a lack of orange cheddar. Instead a white imitation cheese in cellophane wrap is made available for sandwiches & cheeseburgers (it doesn't melt), and only shredded white English cheddar (not the same) is made available for omelets. This is the case in both buffets & dining rooms. I've asked several staffmembers & the bottom line is: Norwegian simply doesn't buy orange cheddar.

Does anyone else who sails Norwegian miss orange cheddar?

cd6224e81aa927d607fbabfd39ad49d3.jpg

Sorry but almost all cheese (aside from the blues and their powerful relatives) is pure white or slightly off white.. LOL

The yellow is an additive from the flavorless Annatto seed and is used in all yellow cheeses from American to Cheddar..

And YES the cheddar (whatever color) served on almost every ship is flavorless.:D

bosco

Sorry but almost all cheese (aside from the blues and their powerful relatives) is pure white or slightly off white.. LOL

The yellow is an additive from the flavorless Annatto seed bosco

You feel Annatto is flavorless?

And YES the cheddar (whatever color) served on almost every ship is flavorless. bosco

You think?

You feel Annatto is flavorless?

Depends on how much is used, too much is almost peppery..

You think?

25+ cruises and lots of cheese plates in place of desserts and rare to find a cheddar that couldn't pass for an unholy Swiss.. A few times in the older specialty rooms on Celebrity (Olympic-Normandie) their cheese cart presentation had some really flavorful cheeses.. Buffet choices are flavorless or at least have proven so on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and HAL. We will soon see how NCL stacks up.. LOL

bosco

25+ cruises and lots of cheese plates in place of desserts and rare to find a cheddar that couldn't pass for an unholy Swiss.. A few times in the older specialty rooms on Celebrity (Olympic-Normandie) their cheese cart presentation had some really flavorful cheeses.. Buffet choices are flavorless or at least have proven so on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and HAL. We will soon see how NCL stacks up.. LOL

bosco

Sounds rough. Sorry to hear that!

Here is another quirk: we were on an MSC cruise in the Mediterranean earlier this year and they do not carry maple syrup on their ships, at least in Europe. They had the pancakes and waffles and fruit toppings, but no maple syrup.

Paul

Here is another quirk: we were on an MSC cruise in the Mediterranean earlier this year and they do not carry maple syrup on their ships, at least in Europe. They had the pancakes and waffles and fruit toppings, but no maple syrup.

Paul

Miss that good old tree sap. I've seen molasses at a few places, just not for me. LOL

bosco

Cheddar cheese is from Cheddar Gorge in Somerset, UK. The "orange cheddar" is what we call Red Leicester cheese. Made in Leicester.a8091e1386e13ce74f4268eca0f91926.jpg262257a92991c7ea3ff9256c920aa133.jpg999f150c0e87ec1253b54da8efdc609c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now you went and did it. My taste buds are in high gear driving me out to the store for some real Cheddar. Nothing like a plate of good cheese some biscuits or crackers and a pint or two of bitters..Paradise any day of the week..

As for the Bitters, I use East Kent Goldings in all my brewing..

bosco

Paul

Sort of gives one a newfound appreciation for butter & honey. On Norwegian, when a staffmember is asked for something that's missing, they tend to (at first) point to what they have instead & insist that's what you're asking for. Might be a "saying no in a positive way" customer service thing.

Ok.. Here is the thing that I am willing to do.. I want to have a maple syrup and Orange Cheddar Cheese competition. I will put my VT stuff against any of the others!!!! Sailing Getaway soon so lets get it on NCL!

Did the Vermont maple syrup tour thing on our own back in 1969. LOL Got stuck about 4 times in the mud travelling through the countryside in the Spring. LOL lots of great memories and excellent syrup..

bosco:D

Cheddar cheese is from Cheddar Gorge in Somerset, UK. The "orange cheddar" is what we call Red Leicester cheese. Made in Leicester

Right on but none compare with Long Clawson Stilton!!

a pint or two of bitters

Now that would be a lip puckerer. Bitter is great but bitters!!!

This has to be fishing post - or one to wind up the Brits:mad:.

Cheddar is not orange - end of.

Proper mature cheddar is slightly off-white in colour and has flavour (with a u;)). It is wonderful on its own, with Marmite in a sandwich, with tomato or proper ham or proper pickle in a sandwich, as cheese on toast with a sprinkling of paprika and in my unctious cheese straws recipe.

That rubbery, orange abomination masquerading as cheddar is only good for stopping the ship bashing the dock whilst parking. And breathe...