Beach Snorkel Lockers?

Sunflower & The Scientist

I posted over at NCL also, but wondering what people do to keep their belongings safe while they beach snorkel. We will be on POA, will not be renting a car, no trunk, so will be at beaches with our own snorkel equipment and nowhere to store our personal belongings we will be carrying along. Are there lockers at the beaches?

And....go ahead and laugh at me, but....are there sharks at any of the snorkel beaches? Also, are there typically other people snorkeling around you or are you out there all by yourself.

Thanks

There are lockers for rent at Kahaluu in Kona. There can be sharks just about anywhere in Hawaii but attacks are very rare here. Popular snorkel spots, like Kahaluu, can be crowded but there are plenty of other locations that are more remote and less crowded (but you'll most likely need a car to get to them).

Are there lockers at the beaches?

..are there sharks at any of the snorkel beaches? Also, are there typically other people snorkeling around you or are you out there all by yourself.

No lockers at the beaches. Outside of towels, lotion and such, bring only what you need and keep it on your person in a waterproof holder.

Sharks can pretty much show up anytime and anywhere. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen. The number of people snorkeling in your area depends upon how popular or remote an area you choose to snorkel in.

No lockers at the beaches. Outside of towels, lotion and such, bring only what you need and keep it on your person in a waterproof holder.

Sharks can pretty much show up anytime and anywhere. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen. The number of people snorkeling in your area depends upon how popular or remote an area you choose to snorkel in.

Should have qualified the above by saying we are speaking only for Maui. As a thought though, have you given consideration to taking a snorkel sail?

Yes, we have thought of doing it with a group from a boat, but I am not a strong swimmer and the thought of deep water would kind of freak me out...and neither of us want to spend a long time doing it. We'd hoped to spend an hour or two here and there, then go on to other activities. We are bringing our own snorkel equipment as it is what I am comfortable with.

But with that said, we'd rather do it with a group if we could find an excursion that does not go on a boat but does it on the beach. We wanted to go to Hanauma Bay the day before we cruise, but we will be at Pearl Harbor in the morning and that is when all the Hanauma Bay groups go.

I'm always open to suggestions!

• 4 weeks later...

If you rent a car on Kauai and drive past Hanalei to the end of the road, there's a nice snorkel beach. Kei'i I believe is the name. It has a reef around the beach that pretty much protects the inside area from big sharks if I remember right. We loved it there. Public restrooms there also.

We just bought some aquapacs for our phone and id's that another CC member suggested. There aren't any lockers at most beaches. You might look into that.