"senior" lady - need help - formal wear -what web-site ?

I want to be able to wear "flats" or sandals - to dinner - on all nights of cruise (including "formal" night) :D

Also prefer to have long sleeves (jacket with pants) or long sleeved blouse or dress

I would love to find a web-site that offers pretty, dressy pant-suits - or - long dresses with long sleeves

I am 72 years old - wear size 8 or 10

THANKS for any suggestions !!

Formal isn’t as formal as it used to be. I’ve found lovely evening jackets at Dillards, the most common brand is Alex Evenings. The quality is exceptional

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have bad feet and wear Vionic sandals with my dressier outfits. They have a few styles that are fancier-looking. If you can wear any shoe, you can find some sandals w/ low heels and practically flats that are fancier looking. If you go on zappos.com and choose sandals, narrow down to dress and evening/cocktail, then choose flat, less than 1 inch and 1-1.75 inch, you will see some really pretty ones that you might be able to wear.

I have one pair of fancy Annie brand sandals w/ a tiny kitten heel that I can wear for short periods (long enough for dinner and walking around the ship for a little bit), but that brand seems to be about died out. I did a google search, and hardly anything comes up for them anymore. When I bought them just a few years ago (2011 I think), they had lots available, especially for wedding shoes. Must have gone out of business.

I tried on a pretty Alex Evenings jacket and matching shell that I found at Macy's. I looked at my hands and the floor and both were covered with glitter! Needless to say I took them off. Then I saw the tag attached to the jacket warning about glitter coming off when wearing. Unless you like leaving a trail behind you, search for a style without glitter:)

My mom used to get some nice clothes for cruise evenings at a store called Draper's and Damon's. She didn't like to order online but there was a store near her in Florida. They still sell some nice dressier clothing (and resort clothing) online:

http://www.drapers.com/?cid=ps_dd_google_br_drapers+and+damons&src_code=DEAPAID&pr_code=D4856

I have found that TJMAxx.com has Alex evenings gowns and cocktail dresses, and also other popular brands of dressy dresses or gowns with jackets. Many are age appropriate for mature women who are young at heart!!;) ..And they are typically cheaper than anywhere else. You can return items to the local store within 30 days if you have one near you.

My mom used to get some nice clothes for cruise evenings at a store called Draper's and Damon's. She didn't like to order online but there was a store near her in Florida. They still sell some nice dressier clothing (and resort clothing) online:

http://www.drapers.com/?cid=ps_dd_google_br_drapers+and+damons&src_code=DEAPAID&pr_code=D4856

The D&D stores are closed! I was just in FL visiting my mom and she told me theirs is gone. Confirmed by website.

To OP...try SteinMart if you have one in your area.

• 4 weeks later...

Kohls has some nice evening gowns and some brands that do not drag on the floor (so you can wear lower heels), but you will probably only find these dresses online. If it doesn't fit nicely, I have been known to take it back to the store. Same with Belk. I hear Nordstrom has free shipping for returns, but can't vouch for it myself. I also like Steinmart for cocktail dresses (which will also pass for formal night on some cruise lines like RCCL which has seemed less formal every time I sail). I second Dillards for true formal gowns and definitely evening/formal separates. I always check retailmenot.com for online coupons, and I take advantage of Black Friday sales (usually online).

• 2 months later...

I only wear flats and have found 6pm.com has a nice selection. Consider gauzy evening pants with a sequined top. My local Saks has fantastic deals on formal wear each year during the summer months. Just bought a fabulous ballgown for $50 to wear to a charity gala so check them out.

Chico's and Coldwater Creek both have some lovely clothing that is a bit more relaxed both stylistically and in terms of fit. I love the beautiful jackets I've picked up on clearance or in the outlets of each especially. Nice quality and good fit. I find a lot of my cruise wear in their Travelers line. Currently both have a lot of sales going on, too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I get my cruise clothes at Kohl's but I have gone a little simpler than I was even a few years ago. I had a bad experience on stairs on Princess several years ago, got my heel caught in the hem of a long skirt. There were 2 gentlemen going down just ahead of me, they caught me. It could have been awful. Came home, mailed the skirt and dressy shoes to my niece, now it is flats, slacks and very dressy tops for me.

• 1 year later...
On 10/5/2017 at 7:01 PM, awhfy said:

Formal isn’t as formal as it used to be. I’ve found lovely evening jackets at Dillards, the most common brand is Alex Evenings. The quality is exceptional

I have had good luck with Alex Evenings.  You can often find AE Items at a discount on sites such as ebay.

• 2 weeks later...