My first Viking Ocean cruise - initial thoughts (on board now)

jend**

Taking the Viking Sun from Venice to Athens. The ship is beautiful, and we have no complaints about our penthouse junior suite. The food is really good too. However, we took a Uniworld riverboat cruise last year, and Uniworld's customer service and value, imho, is significantly better.

Everything was included with Uniworld and everyone at Uniworld simply wanted to make sure everything was in every way perfect for you. On the Viking ocean cruise, our stateroom comes with complementary sodas that are freely restocked. We got the same can of soda one night in the bar on the ship and got charged. I went to guest services and asked why we got charged since we wouldn't have gotten the soda from the bar had we known, since we were on our way back to the room, and guest services just said that's just how it is, you get charged in the bar. I asked why, and she said that's just the rule. You would think they would've said, hey we see this is confusing, now you know so we'll take off that charge this one time. Did they do that? Nope. Seriously, they couldn't care less that I was bothered about their seemingly non-sensical rule. I know the cost of the soda is minor, but I'm annoyed by the principle - they just didn't care.

Also, the spa on the ship is amazing and beautiful, however, the guests on board have no general respect for the limited spa resources. They are 4 heated spa chairs, and people would leave their stuff on the chairs and go elsewhere. I have no problem with people lying on these chairs for as long as they want, but to simply leave their stuff on the chair to go elsewhere? 3 chairs were left like this while someone was on the fourth chair.

I don't think I would take a Viking cruise again.

If you didn't want to be charged for soda buy the drink package. If you read the fine print on what's included you shouldn't be surprised or upset.

So you won't sail Viking because of a soda and chair hogs in the spa?

Interesting.

If you didn't want to be charged for soda buy the drink package. If you read the fine print on what's included you shouldn't be surprised or upset.

Interesting.

I thought the same thing! I’d have just brushed off the soda thing with an, “Oh, I didn’t know.” (Except I do know because I did my homework and plan to get the drink package [emoji16]). I have also found that often the way you approach things, equally as often, changes the result)

As far as the chair hogs go, I’d heard that wasn’t a problem on Viking, but in the case of the spa, if there are only 4, I would have moved the articles aside and used the chair. If the previous occupant came back, I’d have said, “Oh good, you’ve come back. You’ve forgotten your things.” [emoji12]

I’ve found that attitude is everything, and I’m bringing quite a positive one for my Viking Ocean cruise. I had a phenomenal time on our river cruise with Viking last year and plan to have an equally phenomenal ocean cruise!

FWIW when I saw the title, I was expecting a description of the ship, the cabin, the amenities, the food, etc. Oh, well disappointment all around it seems [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Interesting.

Really, I can’t believe how people nick pick over a can of soda - you spent thousands of dollars for this cruise and you’re worried about something as trivial as this. Also you shouldn’t compare a river cruise to an ocean cruise, they are completely different . Each has own goals and objectives. We’ve been on both and like both -it really boils down to the itinerary you would to see.

I thought the same thing! I’d have just brushed off the soda thing with an, “Oh, I didn’t know.” (Except I do know because I did my homework and plan to get the drink package [emoji16]). I have also found that often the way you approach things, equally as often, changes the result)

As far as the chair hogs go, I’d heard that wasn’t a problem on Viking, but in the case of the spa, if there are only 4, I would have moved the articles aside and used the chair. If the previous occupant came back, I’d have said, “Oh good, you’ve come back. You’ve forgotten your things.” [emoji12]

I’ve found that attitude is everything, and I’m bringing quite a positive one for my Viking Ocean cruise. I had a phenomenal time on our river cruise with Viking last year and plan to have an equally phenomenal ocean cruise!

FWIW when I saw the title, I was expecting a description of the ship, the cabin, the amenities, the food, etc. Oh, well disappointment all around it seems [emoji849]

Great points, Cyber Kat. Hopefully a true review is forthcoming as jend** is currently on board.

Sorry to hear that everything is not meeting your expectations. I hope you're enjoying your cruise anyway.

I think you have to be careful to compare apples to apples. Having been on one river cruise, with Viking, it would be hard to compare the level of service and the intimate atmosphere to any of the ocean cruises that we've been on. They are very different experiences. We will be taking a Viking Ocean cruise next year and that will in some ways be more comparable to our other ocean cruises. Even so, since costs are very different and therefore include more or less, that can also make it difficult to fairly compare. A lower priced cruise might be expected to cover fewer of the costs such as excursions, beverages, specialty restaurants, etc and vice versa with a higher priced line.

Also, the spa on the ship is amazing and beautiful, however, the guests on board have no general respect for the limited spa resources. They are 4 heated spa chairs, and people would leave their stuff on the chairs and go elsewhere. I have no problem with people lying on these chairs for as long as they want, but to simply leave their stuff on the chair to go elsewhere? 3 chairs were left like this while someone was on the fourth chair.

Are there only 4 chairs in the spa? Oh dear, that sounds like a small room, we had thought it was much bigger. In fact, we thought that there is one spa for men, and one for women. Or is that incorrect? We will be taking our first Viking cruise in a couple of months, so am trying to get as much information as possible!

UPDATE: I emailed Viking and they called back and fixed the soda incident. It was not about the cost, it was about the way I was treated when I questioned the charge. The manager who called was wonderful and understanding.

In reading everyone's replies, I realize I was just angry in the moment. However, customer service is extremely important to me, and now i can say that Viking has done a great job.

PS: I still hate chair hogs :evilsmile:

PPS: ship is beautiful, food is great, and Viking ocean is a great alternative if you want an ocean itinerary but not a super large ship. On regular ocean cruises, I get really sea sick, but I haven't needed to use my patch yet for this cruise.

UPDATE: I emailed Viking and they called back and fixed the soda incident. It was not about the cost, it was about the way I was treated when I questioned the charge. The manager who called was wonderful and understanding.

In reading everyone's replies, I realize I was just angry in the moment. However, customer service is extremely important to me, and now i can say that Viking has done a great job.

PPS: ship is beautiful, food is great, and Viking ocean is a great alternative if you want an ocean itinerary but not a super large ship. On regular ocean cruises, I get really sea sick, but I haven't needed to use my patch yet for this cruise.

I am so pleased that you're settling in now and liking your cruise! Have fun! BTW everyone in the world hates chair hogs and every cruise line has their share--just read all the posts on CC. ;)

Save

While onboard sign up for another Viking cruise.;)

The new Orion floated out and will be available next year. (5th)

We're headed for our 4th Viking cruise next March. :D

http://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/viking-spirit-renamed-viking-orion-to-debut-july-2018

Enjoy! :cool:

Edited by bcorre2
edit

Great post in so many ways.

Chair hogs - loathe them.

Are there only 4 chairs in the spa? Oh dear, that sounds like a small room, we had thought it was much bigger. In fact, we thought that there is one spa for men, and one for women. Or is that incorrect? We will be taking our first Viking cruise in a couple of months, so am trying to get as much information as possible!

There are four heated beds but there are about six regular beds, maybe a couple more. As for why personal items left on beds, the people may have been in the snow room or hot water pool. Not many use the the spa so it's usually available. As for the drinks, if you have the beverage package, then you have no problem, if not then you get charged.

if paying for a can of pop (which I bought the package so won't worry about)

and someone leaving their towel on a chair are the only

down sides, I think I will enjoy my cruise in 3 weeks.

Plenty of chairs by the pool and not many people use the spa, so don't worry.

I am so pleased that you're settling in now and liking your cruise! Have fun! BTW everyone in the world hates chair hogs and every cruise line has their share--just read all the posts on CC. ;)

Save

And yet no one ever admits to doing this [emoji33][emoji48]

Thanks for the update! That’s been more my experience with Viking - great customer service,

hmmm...I did not know those concrete things were heated....you have to put your things somewhere while you are in the hot tub, sauna, cold room or warm pool. Where should I put my robe, Ipod, room key and towel? I have no abandoned the area for hours (chair hog) but am using the area.

Cahpek...there is a men/women side with a dry sauna, COLD plunge pool, showers, lockers...the other areas are coed. there is also a spinner in the locker room to help dry your suit.

Thank You - I Agree - I really like Viking’s customer service personnel both on the ship and over the phone. They really do care about you and will try to solve any issues that you might have .

The Spa is wonderful but I do see your point and the spa personnel should watch out for the drop and leave your towel clients that have no thoughts of anyone but themselves .

Hope your voyage is smooth and you don’t have to resort to the patch.

Just to pitch in with our experience .... Every time we went to the spa, there was no one else there! It probably depends on the itinerary.

If you use the snow grotto, hot tub etc., you have nowhere to put your stuff, other than on the lounge beds. For what's it's worth those ceramic tiled heated loungers are very uncomfortable - I did try them but just could not get comfortable and they are just lukewarm. So I can't imagine wanting to spend any time on them anyway!

The changing rooms are lovely with small sofas to sit on while you wait for your treatment, lots of towels etc., and that spinner which dries (almost) your costume. If you are more than a size UK 5/6 foot ask the spa desk for larger pool shoes as they do just put the small size in the ladies lockers.

The spa treatments we had were lovely too - no hard selling of products!

The area is not small and it’s part of the total spa area . It’s wonderful and the Snow Grotto is special . If you don’t understand the Norwegian spa concept ask at the spa’s desk for a time that they do a run thru and a brief expiation of what available . My wife and I did the fun meeting during a 23 day Mediterranean cruise and we still talk about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

if paying for a can of pop (which I bought the package so won't worry about)

and someone leaving their towel on a chair are the only

down sides, I think I will enjoy my cruise in 3 weeks.

Yes you will !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just to pitch in with our experience .... Every time we went to the spa, there was no one else there! It probably depends on the itinerary.

If you use the snow grotto, hot tub etc., you have nowhere to put your stuff, other than on the lounge beds. For what's it's worth those ceramic tiled heated loungers are very uncomfortable - I did try them but just could not get comfortable and they are just lukewarm. So I can't imagine wanting to spend any time on them anyway!

The changing rooms are lovely with small sofas to sit on while you wait for your treatment, lots of towels etc., and that spinner which dries (almost) your costume. If you are more than a size UK 5/6 foot ask the spa desk for larger pool shoes as they do just put the small size in the ladies lockers.

The spa treatments we had were lovely too - no hard selling of products!

We had the same experience - a few people on the sea day only. We are very familiar with the ritual and really enjoyed the spa.

Yes, we left our robes on the lounges but there were at least 12-14 of them and no people around. You are actually there and could see if people are coming and need space (that never happened).

Now about ceramic tiled heated lounges. They are very uncomfortable and I expected them warmer than they were. I asked and was told that they supposed to be average body temperature not hot as we all probably expected when we read "heated" :)

It sounds strange to me that someone will leave clothes on those benches for long time as OP mentioned and I'm not saying that it didn't happened but where those people went? You have everything in one place except of dry sauna and small cold pool :confused: