Nassau and Freeport, off the beaten path

aachavezz

Looking for ideas of stuff to check out in December, we don't typically like the regular 'touristy' spots and prefer to see things that are a bit more... authentic? I guess? Would love to check out some amazing local hole in the wall restaraunts for a casual lunch while exploring. Neither of us have been to either port, and this is BF's cruise ever.

Several posts here highly rate the food tour in Nassau. Do a quick search here or on Trip Advisor for details.

Nassau and Freeport are generally safe in the main tourist areas. I would caution against wandering too far away from those areas and the crowds on my own, just as I would in any city. Maybe hire a driver for a few hours to give you a tour of some of the more local areas and stay with you at each stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were in Nassau in September and found it pretty friendly. Originally we were a bit concerned due to some of the reviews even though the last time we were in Nassau about a decade ago we found it fine.

We walked to Fort Fincastle and Queen's Staircase. Many of the locals said hello when we walk by them. We also walk to Potters Cay. Bay Street, the main drag, gets a bit sketchy further east but it was fine. We did pass by a lunch place a cheap stew that looked good.

Potters Cay has bunch of hole in the wall eateries. I think it's more of a night time place where the locals hang out but many of the places were open for lunch. We ate a Mckenzies Fresh Fish & Conch which is the first stall since I read some good reviews on it. The fried conch was pretty tasty while the side of fries were pretty bad. That plus a can of Coke ended up being $16USD including tip. I thought eating at Mckenzies was ok. It was the busiest of the eateries. But I'm kind of curious if the other places might have been a better experience just because they weren't as busy. Make sure you leave enough time to get back to the ship because they don't seem to whip out the food very fast here.

We ended up taking a bus back to the port area that took a long loop south to the Mall at Marathon and then back north to the port. It was a nice and cheap ($1pp) way to end up seeing other parts of Nassau.