World cruise 2019 food and entertainment

AmandaLMcL

We are considering doing the world cruise on the Q Vic in 2019. Until now, with the exception of one P and O cruise many years ago, we have always sailed with Celebrity which we love. The main reasons for looking at Cunard are : Embark and disembark at Southampton (convenient and no luggage weight limit), itinerary (with the exception of NY, it goes everywhere we want) and cost (reasonable). While we have no problem with the more formal aspect of Cunard compared with Celebrity, my questions concern the buffet - the reviews are never good (limited choice and long queues) , and the evening shows which I am concerned may be a bit old fashioned. Do they change the buffet choice on such a long cruise, and what is the entertainment like on Cunard?

Edited by AmandaLMcL
Typos

Hi, not too sure from your post if you intend to eat informally in the Lido Restaurant for the whole Cruise? We have been on 3 Full World Cruises with Cunard; 2 on QV and 1 on QM2 - normally having Breakfast and Dinner in the Main Dining Room. Lunch when taken is either in the Lido (Buffet) or the Red Lion. In my experience there were at times queues at the Buffet, however not too long as there are different service areas. Lunch is from 12 Noon until 3PM and over time you will find a time to suit you. I found that looking for a table was my problem. The choices and variety were good and the themed meals good - enough to satisfy all palates.

Entertainment is good and the main Cunard Dance/Singing Troupe May repeat their shows on each leg of the World Cruise. Entertainers Singer/Magician/Comedians et al change every leg. In the Queens Room there is Dancing to a live Band and Themed Balls two or times each leg. During the day there are all kinds of classes; Dancing, Photography, Painting etc etc.

As an extra for full World Cruise passengers there is an off ship Dinner Party usually when there is an overnight stop. There is a full World Cruise passenger Party each leg and a dedicated lounge which can be used during the day.

I am sure other posters will come on and reassure you. The World Cruise with Cunard is a fantastic experience and QV is a wonderful ship. Once you know your Stateroom/Suite let me know and I may be able to give you some information on it.

Enjoy your planning and join in your Roll Call for help and information - very helpful for ports of call and excursions. I found that searching on the Cruise Websites for Cunard World Cruise Blogs was worthwhile and you can pick up a lot of hints which will help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've cruised many times with Cunard, Britannia, and have found the entertainment, music and lectures to be very good to excellent.

The food has ranged mostly from good to excellent in the dining room and adequate to very good in the Lido. Beef seems to be a Cunard specialty and some of the best beef we've had has been on Cunard. Room service, which is 24 hours, is also fairly good.

Enjoy your cruise, I think you'll be happy with Cunard.

We did a 48 day segment of the 2015 QV world cruise and this past year we did the Holland America full world cruise on the Amsterdam.

Just for comparison...I would agree that the entertainment (on both ships) was directed to an older audience with the Amsterdam being much worse. My husband is 72 and I'm 62. While the QV had a couple of 'lounge lizard' types as entertainment most of it was much better then that. On the HAL ship they had numerous entertainers/shows celebrating the 'rat pack'. Maybe my Mom might have found that interesting I did not. Advantage: QV

As for the QV buffet. I don't know what all the complaints are about, maybe we just choose really well but we didn't have any complaints. We had breakfast and lunch in the lido and dinner in the dining room. The couple of times we had dinner at the lido we found everything to be just fine. I think there are some people who just don't like buffets and when they have to go to them they find fault.

Another thing, not really under entertainment, but related, are the enrichment speakers on board. Cunard gets excellent speakers who present material relative to the trip, our 48 days on the QV was no different. The speakers on HAL were not great with a couple of exceptions, it was very disappointing although the rest of the cruise was great.

I don't think you will be disappointed in a QV world cruise, I wish I was going too...

As far as I am concerned, no cruise line has better lectures than Cunard. They get a wide range of people who speak on dozens of topics.

You will get a number of presentations of local singers and dancers as you go around the world as well as professionals. Some may be to your liking and others not.

The two buffet lines open at different times (usually 30-45 minutes apart) for lunch. I would sit in the one that opened later and watch the sea or read a book. People who were anxious for a meal would go to the line that opened first. When the later one opened I would be one of the first to go through - no long queue or difficulty finding a table.

We are mid 50's & have travelled many times with Celebrity, also with RCL, Princess, Crystal & Cunard (QM 2 on a couple of TA's & QV on another TA). Can only speak as we found & whilst the QV is a nice ship, we truthfully found it pretty staid to put it mildly. Daytime entertainment and talks were good, and the buffet was perfectly adequate. As for evenings, we're not massive party animals, but the atmosphere after around 7 p.m. was often pretty dull & we'd certainly had enough after ten days.

We are considering doing the world cruise on the Q Vic in 2019. Until now, with the exception of one P and O cruise many years ago, we have always sailed with Celebrity which we love. The main reasons for looking at Cunard are : Embark and disembark at Southampton (convenient and no luggage weight limit), itinerary (with the exception of NY, it goes everywhere we want) and cost (reasonable). While we have no problem with the more formal aspect of Cunard compared with Celebrity, my questions concern the buffet - the reviews are never good (limited choice and long queues) , and the evening shows which I am concerned may be a bit old fashioned. Do they change the buffet choice on such a long cruise, and what is the entertainment like on Cunard?

My two cents is ...do it! Do it while you are young and have the ability to get off the ship and have some real adventures and theres no one better to do it with than Cunard.