Check-in Documents

mattie00

Our last 2 cruises (Escape and Getaway) the checkin person never even took our paperwork that we had signed. We just had to sign the small machine at checkin. I will still always have a paper copy with me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't know. But i would like to know this as well.

Yes this would be very interesting !

Last two cruises I have been on I have done all the precheck work online and just offered

the top copy of the cruise documents with the BAR CODE.

A scan of that BAR CODE; passport and a major credit card to establish form of payment

and a brief wait for my Key Card and it is off to the onboard fun.

I would suppose that like the airlines do with the boarding pass reader it would be possible

to replicate the BAR CODE data during the online check-in - what could be easier ?

Each cruise seems to get easier and easier to run the gauntlet of the Check-In.

NCL knows they need better methods of moving the masses.

A bit of advertisement and promotion would certainly help in this regard !

Does anyone know whether or not we must have hard copies of reservations for check-in or can you check in using your downloaded documents on your smart phone?

I always take only electronic copies, and I don't even need those. The only thing that you really need is the appropriate identification.

I always take only electronic copies, and I don't even need those. The only thing that you really need is the appropriate identification.

Great. We won't have access to a printer unless we find a UPS store as we will be travelling for the next 5 months and don't have a printer in our motorhome. I have already asked my travel agent to check with NCL and see if there is any way that we can receive the required information earlier so that we can print before we leave next week but don't expect a positive reply. We aren't scheduled to receive our cruisedocs until 3 weeks after we leave home. Don't want to have to pay for printing unless absolutely necessary. We can make up luggage tags.:cool:

Please don't take this the wrong way. But you are traveling for 5 months in a motorhome. A printer cost $50.

a motorhome is like a cruise ship cabin, where storage space is at a premium. there is always never enough storage space to store everything.

For whatever its worth, when we boarded the Escape on 10\7, terminal B, there was a security agent or whatever their title is...he asked for our passports and embarkation documents. He matched up everything and then sent us in the terminal to do check in.

Great. We won't have access to a printer unless we find a UPS store as we will be travelling for the next 5 months and don't have a printer in our motorhome. I have already asked my travel agent to check with NCL and see if there is any way that we can receive the required information earlier so that we can print before we leave next week but don't expect a positive reply. We aren't scheduled to receive our cruisedocs until 3 weeks after we leave home. Don't want to have to pay for printing unless absolutely necessary. We can make up luggage tags.:cool:

The porters have luggage tags that you can use. No need to print anything.

For whatever its worth, when we boarded the Escape on 10\7, terminal B, there was a security agent or whatever their title is...he asked for our passports and embarkation documents. He matched up everything and then sent us in the terminal to do check in.

They can match your e-docs, you don't need paper ones.

Does anyone know whether or not we must have hard copies of reservations for check-in or can you check in using your downloaded documents on your smart phone?

It can depend on the terminal. There have been some terminals where we've had to show our paper boarding document just to get into the terminal.

Other times we've never had to show anything since our info is in the computer for the check-in people.

I work at the NYC cruise port. It is NOT required to have a printed doc. Your ID (passport, etc) is required, but not your cruise docs. TSA Security will look up your name on the daily manifest if you do not have the cruise docs printed. Many people do not have access to printers. Once you get past security to the check-in agents, you just need your name and IDs.

You could also find a library in a town you are traveling in and use their computers to print for next to nothing there :)

I always have my printed copy, it has our reservation number on it and they have always asked us to see it at security. I think having the printed copy also speeds up the check in process, but I never have not taken one and don't think I'm going to start now.