Something new for last minute bookings?

Hflors

My sister who isn't very cruise savvy booked a last minute cruise. She booked it in Sept 17 for a November 17 cruise. She told me when they were doing the booking the rep said she and her husband would be required take HAL insurance. Since it was around/ past final payment she was required to pay for everything including the insurance the same day. When she called me later she asked me if I had ever been required to take Hal's insurance. Yesterday another insurance question came up for another cruise us girls are taking in January and she asked me again. I said I would post the question on CC. Has anybody ever been "required" to take the HAL ins for a last minute booking? Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Thanks in advance for any info.

They may have indicated that if you want HAL insurance, you have to pay for it now. It would be unlike HAL, in my experience, to pressure you into buying it with this tactic. My rep is always straight forward and understanding when I purchase my own insurance or pass on the pre-cruise hotel "deal".

I have never been required to take insurance (just booked yesterday for example).

Likely what the person was told was that since they were past final payment day, IF they wanted HAL insurance they HAD to take it that day (or it would not be available after that).

Thanks guys for your replies. She must have misunderstood. I know she would not have taken it unless she thought she had to as her husband has terminal cancer. Even though they have insurance I am sure it won't cover him.

I don't ever remember reading here about people who have booked cruises at the last minute being required to bauy HAL's insurance.

I

I have never heard or read of mandatory purchase of HAL's cancellation coverage . It is not travel insurance and I purc hase 3rd party insurance to be sure I have adequate out of country medical insurance. HAL does not offer anything near adequate and I refuse to purchase HAL's cancellation.

What kind of money grab gimmick are they up to ? The day they require that, is the day I am Gone !!!

Edited by sail7seas

I think that there was a misunderstanding or miscommunication.

We typically book inside the final payment window-most often 30-45 days out.

We have never been forced to insurance on any cruise line. If this was he case, we would no longer consider that cruise line.

Thanks guys for your replies. She must have misunderstood. I know she would not have taken it unless she thought she had to as her husband has terminal cancer. Even though they have insurance I am sure it won't cover him.

The HAL CPP is the best cancel for any reason policy that I have found, so they both will be covered if they can't take the cruise. She was wise to take it. I assume your statement that "it won't cover him" refers to another insurance policy?

The HAL CPP is the best cancel for any reason policy that I have found, so they both will be covered if they can't take the cruise. She was wise to take it. I assume your statement that "it won't cover him" refers to another insurance policy?

I do n ot want a cancel for any reason policy at the cost of not hav ing adequate medical insuance\ I know the price of the cruise and would not b ook it if I could not affoord it. I DO NOT know the possible cost of out of country medical care should I become ill or have an accidnet while out of U.S. I need to know I have adeequate medical coverage which I get when I purchase thid party insurance. From HAL I get a tiny sum for medical bills Thatt could totlal tens of thousands of dollars. Cancel for any rreason coverage if vvery shorrt sighted IMO for anyone on U.S, medicare that pays rareely for out of country medical I do not put cancellation insurance at the top of possible exposure list. Cost of the cruise is a known amount. POssible medical bills is an unknown amount and can be vry, vrey high.

I would far rather lose the price of a cruise if I cancel during penalty period than lose thec ost of possibly very high medical b ills. !!! think about it........... From hAL's cancellation polifcyWhat does $10,00 in medical insuance cover? Not much.

C an cellation is the least that really should be insured. IMO IF one does not have medical insuance that pays internationally.

Edited by sail7seas

I meant if his cancer becomes worse (as it is a pre existing condition) I don't think it would cover him if they need to cancel.

As a travel agent and former HAL employee, here's an educated guess at what happened.

Passengers booked a cruise inside final payment. Then:

1. They asked if they could add insurance and were told since full payment due now you would have to add it now, OR
  2. They asked if it's inside penalty how does it work for cancellation and HAL said it would be full penalty but they could add insurance right that minute if they wanted some sort of cancel structure that wasn't "wave goodbye".

Obviously I wasn't on that call, not their TA, not a current HAL employee and simply making an educated guess on something without a ton of details... but insurance is never mandatory. I'm not aware of any country that 100% mandates coverage of some sort

I do n ot want a cancel for any reason policy at the cost of not hav ing adequate medical insuance\ I know the price of the cruise and would not b ook it if I could not affoord it. I DO NOT know the possible cost of out of country medical care should I become ill or have an accidnet while out of U.S. I need to know I have adeequate medical coverage which I get when I purchase thid party insurance. From HAL I get a tiny sum for medical bills Thatt could totlal tens of thousands of dollars. Cancel for any rreason coverage if vvery shorrt sighted IMO for anyone on U.S, medicare that pays rareely for out of country medical I do not put cancellation insurance at the top of possible exposure list. Cost of the cruise is a known amount. POssible medical bills is an unknown amount and can be vry, vrey high.

I would far rather lose the price of a cruise if I cancel during penalty period than lose thec ost of possibly very high medical b ills. !!! think about it........... From hAL's cancellation polifcyWhat does $10,00 in medical insuance cover? Not much.

C an cellation is the least that really should be insured. IMO IF one does not have medical insuance that pays internationally.

You are correct. However, the issue is not whether medical insurance is necessary. It is whether HAL's CPP is a good cancellation policy. It is not, as you pointed out, a medical insurance policy or even travel insurance. If one doesn't have medical insurance which covers you out of the country, which we do have, a med-evac policy is wise.

We need a cancel for any reason policy and a med-evac policy. We do not need a medical insurance policy.

You are correct. However, the issue is not whether medical insurance is necessary. It is whether HAL's CPP is a good cancellation policy. It is not, as you pointed out, a medical insurance policy or even travel insurance. If one doesn't have medical insurance which covers you out of the country, which we do have, a med-evac policy is wise.

We need a cancel for any reason policy and a med-evac policy. We do not need a medical insurance policy.

That may not be your issue but it is mine.

Keep in mind, Med Jet does nto pay medical biills(for those who have Med Jet Asist policy) , only evacuation. Most third party travel insurance includes med evac depending upon which policy a person chooses

After reading and re-reading the OPs post I have a simple question. Did they book direct with HAL...or through a travel/cruise agency. Not all agencies (and agents) are what I would loosely call reputable...and we would not be surprised at some agents steering a novice towards insurance (it increased their commission).

Hank