Does it help the crew to upgrade onboard?

Rozza1980

I'll keep it brief!

Got Classic and want premium.

Do the crew get any extra if I upgrade onboard?

Will it cost the same?

Online about £9 per day plus service charge.

On the silhouette from Rome round a few Greek islands and Israel.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Rozza1980
Mistyped

I'll keep it brief!

Will it cost the same?

Thanks in advance

I'm not aware of any benefit to the crew on board. If anything, it might actually cause more issue to wait till doing it on board as it slows the queues going to the bars on the first or second day.

Certainly, the cost will be the same pre-cruise or on board to upgrade, unless the price of the beverage package changes between now and your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. The server who sells you the upgrade gets the reward otherwise they wouldn't push it like they do!

We got off the Equinox just yesterday and I waited until the second day to upgrade. We were in the buffet when one of the servers came by. It so happened that she had tried to sell me on the first evening, but I told her I would wait a day. Sure enough, she was delighted that I upgraded with her. The fact that I was charged for the full 10 days instead of nine, resulting in three trips to Guest Relations to get it corrected through the cruise was not her fault, though!

I was told that the person who takes your upgrade gets the tip. True or not?

Yes, that's true -- the person who gets you to upgrade gets to keep the 18% gratuity. If you'll notice they are all over you like vultures once you board trying to get you to upgrade.

Yes, that's true -- the person who gets you to upgrade gets to keep the 18% gratuity. If you'll notice they are all over you like vultures once you board trying to get you to upgrade.

Yes and they should pick a bar they plan on returning to often. My experience is that server will take care of you well very well every time you return to that bar. We went to the bar where we upgraded every evening.

I'll keep it brief!

Will it cost the same?

Thanks in advance

Yes it was confirmed to me as well that crew member who sells upgrade on board gets to keep the entire 18 percent tip for the upsell. I hate this policy as the first few days they are all over you everywhere you go to get that tip. Nothing says "Modern Luxury" like being haggled by the crew. Perhaps Celebrity should pay their crew better.

Yes it was confirmed to me as well that crew member who sells upgrade on board gets to keep the entire 18 percent tip for the upsell. I hate this policy as the first few days they are all over you everywhere you go to get that tip. Nothing says "Modern Luxury" like being haggled by the crew. Perhaps Celebrity should pay their crew better.

Yeah, and then you will pay more for your cruise. ECON 101 ;)

Don't worry about a delay because you are making the upgrade on-board. The waiter/bartender just gives you a slip to sign that you are upgrading and the office figures out the cost that will be charged to your OB account. Hint: if you are elite plus, you probably will get a 15% discount on the upgrade cost if you wait to do the upgrade on-board. Yes, if your cruise only stops at EU ports...upgrade before you go...but that's the exception. When you upgrade on-board, they will put a sticker on your room card...and don't worry if it comes off, guest services will just give you a new card with the upgrade imprinted on it.

They definitely get the commission from signing you up for the upgrade and definitely look after you if you upgrade with them, so choose someone at a bar you will frequent. We were on a B2B last year and decided to upgrade part-way through the first leg. We used to drink at the Passport Bar and promised it to one of the bar servers there. For our second leg she was leaving the ship and asked if we would upgrade our second leg with her friend who was taking over on the same bar. We were well looked after on both legs.

It was confirmed to me by a head bartender that the up selling server/bartender do get to keep the full gratuity of the upgrade. He also said that once everyone has upgraded, the servers slack off their service because they won't be paid anything additional whether they serve or not.

I actually observed one female server on my Eclipse sailing just walk around for over half an hour in the Oceanview Cafe one dinner service without getting one drink order filled. I was seated right across from the bar.

At many embarkation ports, including some in the U.S. there will be local sales tax charged on any purchase before reaching international waters. I had that happen in Ft. Lauderdale once when I upgraded while still docked. Look for little placards on the tables and bar to indicate if they are forced to charge the local tax. Or you could ask the server/bartender.

Spain is the worst. If you do not visit a non EU port on your cruise, you will be charged the VAT on all purchase for the entire cruise.

Has anyone given the upgrade to a sommelier in a specialty restaurant and if so, did they notice a difference in their service?

No but you just gave me a great idea to do that in Blu on our next cruise! Didn't think of that for some strange reason. We usually do at Martini Bar, but I can honestly say that since it's so busy every night the service isn't any faster.

Do you get any discount by buying on board? I have always upgraded before I travel!

No, discount, but, very occasionally they will offer a 2 for 1 upgrade on board. It happened to us in May on the Infinity, and I am hoping it happens again next week when I cruise.

Sounds like a discount to me! Lol:)

TRUE, lol, but, you know what I am saying. Typically, we both upgrade on board, but, I had decided not to on the last cruise until they offered 2 for 1. How could I refuse it? If we don't get 2 for 1 on our upcoming cruise only my dh will upgrade. The classic choices are fine for me, but, I would like him to have some nicer bourbon choices. I may occasionally buy a martini and just pay the difference.

TRUE, lol, but, you know what I am saying. Typically, we both upgrade on board, but, I had decided not to on the last cruise until they offered 2 for 1. How could I refuse it? If we don't get 2 for 1 on our upcoming cruise only my dh will upgrade. The classic choices are fine for me, but, I would like him to have some nicer bourbon choices. I may occasionally buy a martini and just pay the difference.

I know what you are saying just got excited at the chance of a deal! Did you ask for it or was it offered ?

I know this thread is about upgrading, but I am wondering if you can wait and buy your drink package once at sea. We are in Hong Kong for 2 days before setting sail. We board on the Sunday and set sail at 8pm the next day.

We plan on being off the ship visiting family as much as possible then and don't really see the benefit of buying the drink package ahead of time. If we wait until the Tuesday morning we can save about $80. 12 days vs 14 days.

Appreciate any advise from you seasoned cruisers.

Thanks

Betty