Dawn vs Getaway

coolio111

First cruise with small kids and elderly.

Which cruise to choose, Dawn or Getaway? Probably the only cruise the elderly will take.

We are not really into swimming that much, so should we save our money and choose Dawn?

But overall for the 7 day Western Caribbean cruise there is only 1 sea day at the beginning on Monday and one sea day at the end on Saturday.

The Getaway I like the sports complex. But will the sports complex be very busy/full since only 2 sea days?

If you have been on the Getaway what was the wait time like for the sports complex activities?

Not sure if at all ports we are going to do excursions or just look around the port and hang out on the boat.

Please advise.

Edited by coolio111

Having cruised on both ships, I would recommend the Dawn. We felt the Getaway was very crowded at the pool area and buffet, which would make it difficult with kids and elderly if they have any mobility issues.

But, I am sure many will disagree.

Without a doubt—the Getaway! Especially for the kids! It is so fabulous!! Sailed her last January—loved it—and convinced daughter and her family to sail with us back on the Getaway this coming January! Her children will love it, as will your children!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't been on Dawn but when it comes to kids, Getaway will win every time. We are mega ship people. The one time we went to a smaller ship, my kiddo was bored out of his mind. He's not a kids club type so it's important that there is lots to do outside of the club. Just my 2 cents.

Which cruise to choose, Dawn or Getaway? Probably the only cruise the elderly will take.

We are not really into swimming that much, so should we save our money and choose Dawn?

But overall for the 7 day Western Caribbean cruise there is only 1 sea day at the beginning on Monday and one sea day at the end on Saturday.

The Getaway I like the sports complex. But will the sports complex be very busy/full since only 2 sea days?

If you have been on the Getaway what was the wait time like for the sports complex activities?

Not sure if at all ports we are going to do excursions or just look around the port and hang out on the boat.

Please advise.

Having been on both the Dawn wins hands down. The only reason I go on the Getaway is because I am often solo and get a better price on a studio.

Please advise.

I have been on both ships, and I would strongly recommend Dawn. Dawn has the T-Rex Kids Pool at the aft of the ship (where Great Outdoors is on Jewel-class.) It's a fairly large area and would be much easier to access than the kids' pool on Getaway. While you are at the kids' pool, the grandparents might enjoy the Library or Thermal Suite, both of which are excellent. Dawn has very good entertainment options, from the Stardust Theater and Bliss Ultra Lounge to the Atrium. Finally, Dawn is basically brand new in terms of its public spaces, as it just experienced a

Getaway is a bigger, fancier ship, but BA-class is the most crowded class of ship NCL ever produced, and it will feel that way. That's why NCL's new management has been increasing public space and cutting passengers on all of its newest ships. I'm sure you'll have fun on either ship, but I'm guessing you'll have a more pleasant time on Dawn. Good luck!

For older kids I would say Getaway, but for small kids and elderly I would say Dawn.

Pretty well what I was going to say. The OP just said "kids" which could mean 2 year olds or 20 year olds. For younger kids, they will be happy with the Dawn, older ones will prefer the Getaway. The elderly people mentioned by the OP would probably prefer the size of the Dawn over the Getaway, as well as it being a quieter and less busy.

I would love to do the Breakaway with my kids (9 to 16 years old) but the Dawn sailing out of San Juan has some great ports to visit, so we picked the Dawn (plus it was about 2/3 the price for the cruise on the Getaway)\