New to Sky. Which excursions in Cuba?

Penelope Star

Hi friends

I am cruising on the Sky in November. Looking for reviews on excursions in Cuba? Good and bad. Before I commit to choosing one. Any advice is welcome!

The “how to aim your sonic weapon at embassies” excursion is loud, but on a whole new level...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As there appears to be only one sailing in November on the Sky that stops in Havana, I think we are on the same cruise! We are going to be with a group, but I think my husband and I are going to book a tour outside of NCL. Husband really wants to do the vintage/classic cars, so I think we will be doing that during the 2nd day that we are there. (since we don't get to port until 5pm)

I booked thru my timeshare so I feel a bit lost on some of the details. I was not even aware that we could book outside of NCL Tours. Is it cheaper to do it that way?

As there appears to be only one sailing in November on the Sky that stops in Havana, I think we are on the same cruise! We are going to be with a group, but I think my husband and I are going to book a tour outside of NCL. Husband really wants to do the vintage/classic cars, so I think we will be doing that during the 2nd day that we are there. (since we don't get to port until 5pm)

We are just off the Sky. We were in port from 8 am Tuesday, October 17 until noon on the 18th. We booked an independent 6-hour car tour through oldcartours.com for our full-day in Havana. Our guide and driver were fantastic! There was much more than a drive throughout Havana. We walked along cobblestone streets and up and down stairs. We saw much of the city from the forts to Old Havana, to the more modern city, drove through residential areas, saw many embassies, enjoyed a mojito in a park, and racked up 10,000 steps easily. The cost for the 6-hour tour in a car of our choice was $240 for the car, driver, and guide. So much better than booking through NCL. I believe the cost of a similar tour with NCL was closer to $600!

On the second day, we wandered throughout the old city, bought a few souvenirs and explored an old train car - a hidden gem. We could've gotten a taxi for another drive around Havana, but wanted to see more of the old buildings and interact with the people.

Be prepared for it to be hot and humid.

I think this is the tour company we plan on using but only doing the 3 hour tour. Any other suggestions or comments about this company? Did you just reserve it online? Also, did you do anything in the evening that you were there? And also, did you just concert USD to CUC when you got to port? Thanks!!!

We are just off the Sky. We were in port from 8 am Tuesday, October 17 until noon on the 18th. We booked an independent 6-hour car tour through oldcartours.com for our full-day in Havana. Our guide and driver were fantastic! There was much more than a drive throughout Havana. We walked along cobblestone streets and up and down stairs. We saw much of the city from the forts to Old Havana, to the more modern city, drove through residential areas, saw many embassies, enjoyed a mojito in a park, and racked up 10,000 steps easily. The cost for the 6-hour tour in a car of our choice was $240 for the car, driver, and guide. So much better than booking through NCL. I believe the cost of a similar tour with NCL was closer to $600!

On the second day, we wandered throughout the old city, bought a few souvenirs and explored an old train car - a hidden gem. We could've gotten a taxi for another drive around Havana, but wanted to see more of the old buildings and interact with the people.

Be prepared for it to be hot and humid.

A lot of the Havana tours I’m looking at take cash only in Cuban currency. How does one go about getting enough for the day? I’m so used to charging everything internationally I don’t know what the up to date procedures are

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think this is the tour company we plan on using but only doing the 3 hour tour. Any other suggestions or comments about this company? Did you just reserve it online? Also, did you do anything in the evening that you were there? And also, did you just concert USD to CUC when you got to port? Thanks!!!

I reserved our car on-line and received an email confirmation. He was very open about answering my questions and concerns. We didn't pay until the tour was over. Yes, you convert your USD to CUC in the terminal building. Our $320 USD paid for our tour and a couple of incidental purchases.

We were too exhausted to explore Havana that evening. My husband was coming down with a cold and his back was killing him. We opted to eat on the ship - they had Cuban entrees every evening.

Taxis are everywhere by the terminal so if you want to go out again on another tour, they are easy to get. May even be cheaper but you won't have an English speaking guide. Our guide was fantastic. Without her, I doubt we would've understood what we were seeing and the history behind the city.

The next morning, we converted a few more dollars for souvenir purchases. If we'd had extra CUC's we could've sold them back at a loss, of course.

A lot of the Havana tours I’m looking at take cash only in Cuban currency. How does one go about getting enough for the day? I’m so used to charging everything internationally I don’t know what the up to date procedures are

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Once you clear customs (showing your passport and visa) and pass through a security check, you will see a currency exchange area ahead. You will have a full day and a half in Havana. I was able to get money in the mid afternoon for my evening tour and the one the next morning before the ship left Havana. The exchange was really busy the morning we sailed away, so I would not try to get more than what I could spend because you won't likely have time to exchange the money back to dollars.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm trying to talk Hubby into the Dec 11 for our anniversary. Never been on the Sky. Hubby isn't much of a cruiser but this is a short one maybe he'll indulge me.

Hey, I wasn't sure I was much of a cruiser, either, but I liked this cruise (my first ever cruise as a passenger!). It is informal which really helps someone ambivalent about cruising relax. The open bar on this boat helps a lot, too! Lol! Tell your husband that it is pretty informal and laid back and nothing beats being on the top open deck at sunset sailing out of Miami with a tropical drink in hand. It is also only 4 days, so really, it isn't like you are stuck on the boat crossing the Atlantic or something. The day on the private beach after Havana was nice and relaxing, too. Happy anniversary!

Once you clear customs (showing your passport and visa) and pass through a security check, you will see a currency exchange area ahead. You will have a full day and a half in Havana. I was able to get money in the mid afternoon for my evening tour and the one the next morning before the ship left Havana. The exchange was really busy the morning we sailed away, so I would not try to get more than what I could spend because you won't likely have time to exchange the money back to dollars.

Also-- if you have Euros, exchange those. There is a 10% surcharge to change US Dollars. There is no surcharge on other currencies.

I was on the Sky to Cuba in August. We booked a private tour through Locally Sourced Havana Tours online before we went and were able to pay by credit card. I think it was $240 for two of us and included a walking tour of the Old City, lunch at an authentic paladar with one drink, a ride in a classic car, and a drink at the Hotel National. We really enjoyed it and it was nice to be on our own time table. The groups from the ship are really big.

The second day we went about 20 minutes outside of the city to Cojimar where we had a cooking demonstration at Cafe Ajiaco. For $50 pp we got a trip to a local garden where we learned about local agriculture, the returned to the restaurant where we went into the kitchen with the chefs to help prepare local dishes. After we learned how to make a mojito at the bar and then were served way more food than we could dream of eating, with a local beverage. It was a great experience that I highly recommend.

We had dinner at Paladar LaGuardia in the evening. It had a vert nice atmosphere and we really enjoyed venturing out. It is in an old mansion that was converted into apartments. The restaurant in on the top floors. We ate on a giant balcony overlooking the city. If you want to do this you must make reservations in advance online. Also, make sure you get enough CUCs from the port terminal in the morning, as it closes at night.

There are also tons of small restauants in the old town, right near the port. There is live music everywhere and you can get super cheap mojitos (like 2 CUCs).

I reserved our car on-line and received an email confirmation. He was very open about answering my questions and concerns. We didn't pay until the tour was over. Yes, you convert your USD to CUC in the terminal building. Our $320 USD paid for our tour and a couple of incidental purchases.

Our 6-hour tour, including driver and translator, was 240 CUC - or approximately $270, or $320 with the tip we gave her.

Don't forget the show at the Tropicana. Do NOT take the shore excursion. Reserve online and you pay in cuc when u get there. Good opportunity to hire an old car to get there. We had a pink 58 Fairlane convertible take us there- took about 30 mins and was worth every penny! Also plenty of taxis to get u back to ship. Shore excursion people get cheated-they were made to leave before the whole show was done. (And someone from that group asked if they could stay behind and just taxi back. They were not allowed to.)

We picked two offerings by NCL. Our favorite was the farm to table experience - authentic Cuba. Quite muddy at the farm after some rain - so be prepared. The rides in the classic cars aound the port look like great fun - didn't have time this trip. Many found very interesting interactive tours online. We'd go back in a heartbeat. And we will, soon.

We just got back Monday from Cuba, we used Blexie-Havana Tours. You can find many reviews on trip-advisor . We had Lauren and she spoke better English than any of us. Its a 2 hour walking tour and a 4 hour riding around and having lunch and other fun things such as shopping for Cigars and Rum all for 130 CUC or 160 USD. What great time, riding around in a 1955 Chevy with A/C. The car can fit 4 so its only 65 a couple, cant beat it. Like I said, if you have any questions on Cuba I will be more than happy to answer them.