Anyone Ever Been To Hemingways?

firerecruit71295

My wife, 2 1/2 year old son and I will be stopping in George Town, Grand Caymans in March as a port stop. We just want to spend the day on 7 Mile Beach. We just need a place to hang out, some shade for when little man naps, some drinks and some food... oh and bathrooms.

I stumbled across Hemingways on CC and did some research. It seems nice but I was looking for some first hand experience from fellow cruisers.

How far is it from port?

Does it get crowded quickly?

I heard we can rent a cabana for $150 which comes with two bottled waters and a bottle of prosecco... just wondering if this would be worth it... otherwise we are just going to grab some loungers with an umbrella.

Was food and drinks good?

Anything else youd like to share?

Thanks so much in advance.

Just returned from 2/16 cruise and our taxi driver brought us here. Its an abandoned Hyatt or Hilton hotel that is now a beach club. We were reluctant at first but turned out to be the highlight of our cruise. Beautiful beach, lounges and chairs and umbrellas. Drinks were adequate. Close to port. Wish we had more time there.

We have stayed in Grand Cayman several times and each time we have had lunch and/or dinner at Hemingways. Yes, expensive (as is everywhere in GC) but good food, good service and a great beach location. I had forgotten about it but we will port there on our cruise in Sept. and I have penciled Hemingways in as our destination that day. Thanks for the above referenced post!!

We were at Hemingway’s in February. It was awesome! No need to rent a cabana. The beach loungers never filled up. No fee but you have to spend $25/pp to use the chairs. Food and service were both excellent. It is mainly an Asian menu, but they do offer a few standards like burgers. We had mostly finger food - tempura, summer rolls, etc. Hemingway’s is a cruiser’s dream spot! BeautIful, uncrowded beach.

• 1 month later...
We were at Hemingway’s in February. It was awesome! No need to rent a cabana. The beach loungers never filled up. No fee but you have to spend $25/pp to use the chairs. Food and service were both excellent. It is mainly an Asian menu, but they do offer a few standards like burgers. We had mostly finger food - tempura, summer rolls, etc. Hemingway’s is a cruiser’s dream spot! BeautIful, uncrowded beach.

Does the $25pp average out? For example, my MIL does not drink or eat much but we are taking our kids and we will have a couple drinks so I am sure our tab will for sure average out to $25pp. Or is it a strict, keep track of what each person orders sort of thing? Also, we are taking kids ranging from 2-11yrs. are they also $25 pp each? I have been looking around but havent found answers. I might just send an email to them and ask.

Edited by JennArtX
question added

• 4 months later...

Hi there - any updates on Hemingway's? This is our planned destination for our day trip September 21st. Read elsewhere that the property might have been under contract for sale. Hoping that's not the case because it looks perfect. Thanks in advance.

Susan

Hi there - any updates on Hemingway's? This is our planned destination for our day trip September 21st. Read elsewhere that the property might have been under contract for sale. Hoping that's not the case because it looks perfect. Thanks in advance.

Susan

Hemingway’s closed this past weekend. Sorry, you’re going to have to make other plans.

https://www.caymancompass.com/2018/09/02/editorial-after-30-years-the-sun-sets-on-hemingways/