What to do in port

cruise.freak

• 1 month later...

We are going in 2 weeks. We plan to go visit Saint Louis Cathedral, the library and The Grand Marche. All are close to one another and seems quite close to the pier.

The Cathedral was designed by Effel and is supposed to be quite beautiful.

We are not planning a beach day here as we have one the previous and following ports. If we pass by a pharmacy I will definitely go in to buy French beauty products... at less than what it sells for in the US and Canada

We are going in 2 weeks. We plan to go visit Saint Louis Cathedral, the library and The Grand Marche. All are close to one another and seems quite close to the pier.

The Cathedral was designed by Effel and is supposed to be quite beautiful.

We are not planning a beach day here as we have one the previous and following ports. If we pass by a pharmacy I will definitely go in to buy French beauty products... at less than what it sells for in the US and Canada

I would love to try your idea.

• 3 weeks later...

We are back and we loved Fort-de-France! Lots of people to help in English at Port ! We strolled thru the streets, stopped at the library, visited the Cathedral and went to the Grand Marche. HAd some pastries. .. just loved it !

Thanks Joecruise! Would love to see the Cathedral and eat pastries!! Do you remember what bakery you visited and do they take US dollars?

I don't know the name of the bakery. ..I saw so many ! It was in a commercial center downtown where we went to buy my son a French book !

They probably take US dollars...we had bought Euros before going. I know around the port they take US dollars at par with Euros which is a great exchange rate for you...at least 20% ..

• 2 weeks later...
We are back and we loved Fort-de-France! Lots of people to help in English at Port ! We strolled thru the streets, stopped at the library, visited the Cathedral and went to the Grand Marche. HAd some pastries. .. just loved it !

You were able to just get off the ship and walk to the attractions then? Thanks for the info!

You were able to just get off the ship and walk to the attractions then? Thanks for the info!

There's not a whole lot to do in Fort-de-France. I wouldn't really say there are attractions. You can't walk to the Balata Cathedral from the port, or the Balata Gardens, or see Mt. Pelee, or the zoo, or anything like that. You pretty much have to take a taxi or a tour in order to see the sights. I highly recommend finding a tour of some sort or getting a taxi. Martinique is beautiful, but Fort-de-France is pretty run down.

Yes you can walk to St-louis cathedral, the fort, the library and the spice market from there !! I didn't find Fort-de-France run down ! !! Not as poor as all the other ports we visit !!

• Like 1

Yes you can walk to St-louis cathedral, the fort, the library and the spice market from there !! I didn't find Fort-de-France run down ! !! Not as poor as all the other ports we visit !!

I didn't spend any time in Fort de France except to drive through briefly. We went to the other popular sites on Martinique, like the Balata Gardens (my favorite place on our entire cruise!) and St. Pierre. The people on my cruise who stayed in F-de-F instead of going on a tour did not have anything nice to say about it.

• 8 months later...

Did you plot your route on google maps? :x Just wondering how you navigated around! Do you remember the bakeries?

Did you plot your route on google maps? :x Just wondering how you navigated around! Do you remember the bakeries?

No sorry I don't remember the bakeries...it was in a commercial center. As for the route, yes we mapped it on Google maps. But everything was close to each other. You can find some nice info on TripAdvisor too!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I was there in January of 2016 and didn't like it at all. I thought the town was dirty and the locals weren't very friendly at all. They didn't seem to care that much about your business. I read in a different thread that they only get 18% of their income from tourism, so maybe that's why.

I think on my upcoming cruise I'm just going to stay on the ship.

debbie