Can you use Credit Card to get USD exchange to CUC in Havana

newcruiser1956

Hi there. Can you clarify your question please?

You can use your credit card most places. You just have to let your bank know where you are travelling.

Cash withdrawal using your credit card is usually more expensive than changing cash at a bank or using your debit card.

Are you only going to Cuba?

It's been my experience that most places will accept US dollars.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

When I went to Cuba last year I brought cash with me because I didn't want to chance it that my credit card would work. Many credit card companies still do not have a relationship with the country to use them because they are not connected to the Cuban banking system. It's best just to use cash. Also I didn't being American dollars. I actually took Canadian dollars instead because I got more in the exchange in Cuba into their peso(CUP). Do your homework and see what works best for you.

We’ve been to Cuba 3 times. We have never been able to use a credit card anywhere for anything. We brought cash and changed money in the airport. It was very difficult to change money anywhere else. And American money is not accepted at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First of all, there IS an advantage in taking Canadian Dollars or Euros or other foreign currency. If the fee that you pay in exchanging your US dollars for Canadian Dollars is less than the 10% that Cuba will charge you for USD, then you win. The savings might not be enough to be worth the trouble but there are savings. Some people in this forum have reported doing the exchange to CAD without a fee, in which case the savings would be higher.

Last time I checked the only US credit card that would work in Cuba are those issued by Stonegate Bank. We got one before our trip to use as backup if things went awry but we did not need to use it. I see that Stonegate Bank has been purchased by another bank and the link to sign up for their card no longer works. I am guessing that they will not be taking new applicants.

Even with a card that works, ATMs are not common and many, if not most, places do not take credit cards. Take cash.

CUCs vs CUPs. When you exchange your dollars you will get CUCs, which is the currency that tourists are expected to use. You cannot get CUPs at a CADECA, which is a currency exchange. However you can get CUPs if you want them, you can go to a bank and exchange CUCs for CUPs. The 3 CUP bill has Che Guevara on it and is a nice souvenir for the folks back home. Costs you about 12 cents.

There are situations where US dollars are accepted, actually, such as tips, paying non licensed cabs, etc, but it requires them to stand in line at a CADECA to get them exchanged as they can't USE dollars.

Do I need to bring lots of cash with me to exchange,

Or may I just use an international credit card that I can take cash from to get CUC?

Thank you!

American credit cards do not work in Cuba. Take cash and exchange into CUC's. A few places might take American dollars, but if you were a Cuban would you want to be paid in a foreign currency?? That makes them have to go and exchange it. The money exchange places in the ports were easy-peasy.

As indicated Credit cards are not accepted in Cuba. However a very easy exchange booth is located in the Havana cruise terminal. Just bring your US dollars and they exchange very quickly. Some tour companies accept USD as do some merchants and vendors.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Tapatalk

First of all, there IS an advantage in taking Canadian Dollars or Euros or other foreign currency. If the fee that you pay in exchanging your US dollars for Canadian Dollars is less than the 10% that Cuba will charge you for USD, then you win. The savings might not be enough to be worth the trouble but there are savings. Some people in this forum have reported doing the exchange to CAD without a fee, in which case the savings would be higher.

For most Americans, there is no advantage. Unless you live near the Canadian border and can drive over and get some CAN $ with no fees or unless you're planning on converting several hundred dollars into CUCs, the transaction fee and exchange rate will eat up any savings you gain by avoiding that 10% penalty. For the average cruise passenger who might need to buy a few souvenirs or pay for a lunch or a taxi, there are no real savings. And, if you overestimate your needs, you're then faced with converting those CAN $ back into US $ with even more fees attached.

I guess that we will have to agree to disagree. We had a total of 4 days in port and exchanged $800. The savings we had were not huge (about 5%) but in my mind worth the effort. It is not right to say there is no advantage in doing this. A "small advantage" would be a better description.

I guess that we will have to agree to disagree. We had a total of 4 days in port and exchanged $800. The savings we had were not huge (about 5%) but in my mind worth the effort. It is not right to say there is no advantage in doing this. A "small advantage" would be a better description.

No, I agree with you. In your situation needing $800, there is a small advantage in converting to CAN $ first. In my situation where we have one day in port and will likely spend $100 or so, the pendulum swings the other way.

No, I agree with you. In your situation needing $800, there is a small advantage in converting to CAN $ first. In my situation where we have one day in port and will likely spend $100 or so, the pendulum swings the other way.

And that's why it was an advantage to us....we each spent about $500. We spent 4 days in 3 ports.

Do I need to bring lots of cash with me to exchange,

Or may I just use an international credit card that I can take cash from to get CUC?

Thank you!

Even if you could get a cash advance in Cuba with a credit card, it would not be a good idea. Such advances bear interest charges starting immediately and they continue accruing until the card balance is paid off in full.

For ATMs in foreign locations that accept them (wherever), use your bank's ATM card, preferably one that rebates transaction fees from other banks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums