Galveston taxi/Uber situation now fall 2017

eskiemomo

I am looking for recent information on how to get a short taxi ride from the Galveston cruise terminal to a nearby hotel approximately 4 miles away. It is too short of a distance to be worth renting a car or a limo/towncar service.

On the morning of disembarking the Royal Caribbean cruise, will there be plenty of taxis out there willing do to a short ride?

Would it be easy to get a taxi upon disembarking just outside the port ie: avoid the $20 port charge?

Taxis do not pay a $20 toll. They pay a monthly fee for port access and it breaks down to a buck or maybe a little more or less for each time they enter the port. If they tell you otherwise they are being untruthful.

Also wondering about Uber/Taxi options in Galveston. I know Uber prices vary based upon availability. When we were on Anthem of the Seas last December, I checked the Uber app before we left our stateroom and rides to Newark were running around $20 on Uber. By the time we were outside the price had jumped to over $70!

What are taxi prices between Galveston and IAH? I know those stay consistent.

TIA

My family just got off Liberty of the Seas on Sunday and took Uber to Hobby airport. While waiting to get off the ship, the app said it was about $34. Once off the ship, it was $47 to Hobby which was about what we had paid to get to the port. Still cheaper for the 4 of us than a car service.

My sister (who was also on our cruise) flew out of IAH. She ended up renting a car from League City (Budget, I think) so she caught an Uber from the port to the rental car facility ($17) and then drove to the airport. She did the same thing coming down. Said it was a little cheaper than the Uber from IAH which was about $90.

Both of us only had to wait 5-10 minutes for the Uber driver to pick us up. They called as soon as they picked up the ride to find our exact location and then picked us up right in front of the terminal. Super easy. :)

• 3 weeks later...
My family just got off Liberty of the Seas on Sunday and took Uber to Hobby airport. While waiting to get off the ship, the app said it was about $34. Once off the ship, it was $47 to Hobby which was about what we had paid to get to the port. Still cheaper for the 4 of us than a car service.

My sister (who was also on our cruise) flew out of IAH. She ended up renting a car from League City (Budget, I think) so she caught an Uber from the port to the rental car facility ($17) and then drove to the airport. She did the same thing coming down. Said it was a little cheaper than the Uber from IAH which was about $90.

Both of us only had to wait 5-10 minutes for the Uber driver to pick us up. They called as soon as they picked up the ride to find our exact location and then picked us up right in front of the terminal. Super easy. :)

Was that price for an uber x? We have a group of 4 but I think we'll need an xl for the luggage.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...

We just used Uber to get to/from Hobby (HOU) airport to Galveston port. The price was $44 to go from the airport to Galveston when we arrived fairly late Sunday night (the night before the cruise). It was $50 to return to the airport when we docked back in Galveston yesterday. The pricing is flexible based on demand, but should fall within the range that I gave above.

Was that price for an uber x? We have a group of 4 but I think we'll need an xl for the luggage.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Exactly why we needed an UberXL. We paid $98 going to the port from SpringHill Suites close to Houston Hobby (HOU) and $113 from the port to HOU last month.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We plan on getting an Uber XL from our hotel in Texas City to the cruise port. I’ve been trying to schedule a pickup ahead of time but when I go to finalize the booking it keeps saying unable to process at this time.

Any ideas there?

Uber does for sure go to the cruise port right?

We plan on getting an Uber XL from our hotel in Texas City to the cruise port. I’ve been trying to schedule a pickup ahead of time but when I go to finalize the booking it keeps saying unable to process at this time.

Any ideas there?

Uber does for sure go to the cruise port right?

Yes, Uber (and Lyft) both go to the cruise port. If you’ve never used Lyft before, they give you $5 off your first ride when sign up.

Not sure about why it won’t let you schedule in advance. We waited to schedule our ride until right before we were ready to be picked up at our pre-cruise hotel close to Houston Hobby airport and we waited 7 minutes for our car to arrive. After the cruise we waited until we had made it through customs and were outside the terminal. We waited 5-10 minutes. Hope this helped!

Sent from my iPad using Forums