Dublin Airport Check In Time

Cruzinram

It does seem excessive, but......

I am flying to Miami in 10 days and plan to be in the airport 3 hours to 3h 15m before my flight.

Its a few years since I flew to USA from Dublin, as Aer Lingus now have a direct flight to Miami, so no more transfers in Heathrow! yes!

Your first stop will be Baggage drop and/or check in. This can take some time.

Next step is to clear Security. Lines can be long for this.

Anyway, look at this website - https://www.dublinairport.com/

It shows how long it is currently taking to clear security. Check it yourself at 3 to 4 hours before your flight (Delta 11.15am IRISH TIME). You will then get an idea of how long it will take to get through this stage. (Delta use Terminal 2). An alternative is to purchase 'Fast Track Security @ €6.49 each. (see the same link above) This shortens the queue a bit. I will be purchasing these passes.

Next you proceed towards US Pre Clearance. Normally, they do flights in batches, so you cannot just 'walk up' to an available officer. There is a sign that shows which flights are being currently processed. When you get the call, you identify your bags and go through the usual customs and immigration procedures (remember you will arrive to USA as a 'domestic flight' so no waiting in customs queues etc).

Having cleared Pre, you head towards the gates and there is another security check before arriving to the gate area.

As a separate note: be aware that there are very few facilities after this second security check in the gate area unless you have Business Class tickets/status for lounge access.

It does seem excessive, but......

I am flying to Miami in 10 days and plan to be in the airport 3 hours to 3h 15m before my flight.

Its a few years since I flew to USA from Dublin, as Aer Lingus now have a direct flight to Miami, so no more transfers in Heathrow! yes!

Your first stop will be Baggage drop and/or check in. This can take some time.

Next step is to clear Security. Lines can be long for this.

Anyway, look at this website - https://www.dublinairport.com/

It shows how long it is currently taking to clear security. Check it yourself at 3 to 4 hours before your flight (Delta 11.15am IRISH TIME). You will then get an idea of how long it will take to get through this stage. (Delta use Terminal 2). An alternative is to purchase 'Fast Track Security @ €6.49 each. (see the same link above) This shortens the queue a bit. I will be purchasing these passes.

Next you proceed towards US Pre Clearance. Normally, they do flights in batches, so you cannot just 'walk up' to an available officer. There is a sign that shows which flights are being currently processed. When you get the call, you identify your bags and go through the usual customs and immigration procedures (remember you will arrive to USA as a 'domestic flight' so no waiting in customs queues etc).

Having cleared Pre, you head towards the gates and there is another security check before arriving to the gate area.

As a separate note: be aware that there are very few facilities after this second security check in the gate area unless you have Business Class tickets/status for lounge access.

I'll be flying American Airlines so terminal #2..my flight leaves June 7th at 11:00am DUB-PHL-LAX (coming off a Celebrity Cruise so I'll disembark asap ship due in at 5:30am) what time do I put in for fast track 7:00am and what if I'm a bit late for that time slot...what happens ?

I'll be flying American Airlines so terminal #2..my flight leaves June 7th at 11:00am DUB-PHL-LAX (coming off a Celebrity Cruise so I'll disembark asap ship due in at 5:30am) what time do I put in for fast track 7:00am and what if I'm a bit late for that time slot...what happens ?

If the ship arrives at 5:30 am, you're not getting off until around 7-7:30am. The ship has to go thru customs, be released for disembarkation, etc.

If the ship arrives at 5:30 am, you're not getting off until around 7-7:30am. The ship has to go thru customs, be released for disembarkation, etc.

Really ??? Cruised over 25+ times and that's luckily never been the case...Any thing you know about the particulars of my ship, port from personal experience you would like to share ?

A bit early/bit late really doesn't matter too much. I'd suggest booking 7.30 for fast track. If you are ready earlier it will be no problem to go through. You do not need to wait for your time slot.

A bit early/bit late really doesn't matter too much. I'd suggest booking 7.30 for fast track. If you are ready earlier it will be no problem to go through. You do not need to wait for your time slot.

Thank you so very much for your advice....much appreciated.

BTW: There's been a bit of a flight time change...it went from an 11:00am departure to 11:20am...every few minutes helps...right :D

This is the latest flight time departure for my date on AA. So at this point it may not change much but if it does possibly would you suggest I just go ahead at this time and purchase the fast track for 7:30am...I noticed it said on the website you provided (thanks again for that) it said "limited availability".

Our flight departs at 5:55 AM. How early will the check-in attendants be there? We have arrived at other European airports 2 hours prior to departure, and no one is at the check-in counter because of the early time.. If we are taking KLM to Amsterdam and connecting to Delta to the US, will we go through the US preclearance?

YIKES...I have an 8:30 A.M. flight out of Dublin on KLM going to Amsterdam to change planes going to Canada. Does that mean I also need to be there 4 hours in advance?

The 4 hour check in minimum is for flights departing Dublin to the US as passengers pre-clear immigrations (Customs and Border Patrol) in Dublin. Flights to European destinations would not require this extra time. Texasstar, you will not clear customs in Dublin since your first destination is Amsterdam. Preclearance only applies to flights non-stop to the US from Dublin.

Here is the recommendation from KLM for check in time:

https://www.klm.com/travel/gb_en/prepare_for_travel/checkin_options/dropoff_times/index.htm

Safe travels.

Edited by DogLover
Add comment

Our flight departs at 5:55 AM. How early will the check-in attendants be there? We have arrived at other European airports 2 hours prior to departure, and no one is at the check-in counter because of the early time.. If we are taking KLM to Amsterdam and connecting to Delta to the US, will we go through the US preclearance?

KLM fly from Terminal 1 which they share with, amongst others, Ryanair. There are multiple flights leaving between 6 and 7 am, so check in desks will be manned ok.#

Pre clearance is only for flights from Dublin to U.S. so you will complete immigration and customs when you return to U.S.

YIKES...I have an 8:30 A.M. flight out of Dublin on KLM going to Amsterdam to change planes going to Canada. Does that mean I also need to be there 4 hours in advance?

2 hours is plenty. Note the KLM fly from Terminal 1.

KLM fly from Terminal 1 which they share with, amongst others, Ryanair. There are multiple flights leaving between 6 and 7 am, so check in desks will be manned ok.#

Pre clearance is only for flights from Dublin to U.S. so you will complete immigration and customs when you return to U.S.

2 hours is plenty. Note the KLM fly from Terminal 1.

Thank you....good to know, I really did not want to go to the airport at 4:00 AM. Bad enough there is a 6 hr time difference so major jet lag.

Thank you so very much for your advice....much appreciated.

BTW: There's been a bit of a flight time change...it went from an 11:00am departure to 11:20am...every few minutes helps...right :D

This is the latest flight time departure for my date on AA. So at this point it may not change much but if it does possibly would you suggest I just go ahead at this time and purchase the fast track for 7:30am...I noticed it said on the website you provided (thanks again for that) it said "limited availability".

If you get off the ship by 6.30 and grab a cab you will be in the airport for 7am. Allow time for checking in your bags, and I would run with the 7.30 for Fast Track. Don't worry too much about the 'Limited Availability' as it's more of a marketing ploy. Even peak morning boarding time tomorrow morning ( 5 - 7 am) still has availability.

If you get off the ship by 6.30 and grab a cab you will be in the airport for 7am. Allow time for checking in your bags, and I would run with the 7.30 for Fast Track. Don't worry too much about the 'Limited Availability' as it's more of a marketing ploy. Even peak morning boarding time tomorrow morning ( 5 - 7 am) still has availability.

Thank you so much for being so helpful. I'm usually not one to cut things so close (couldn't avoid it for this trip) so I'll try to get off the ship asap.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a link for the Dublin Airport

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-information

Lots of information. You can buy a fast pass for 6-8€, depending on time, that gives you a time of under 10 min. That is just for the Irish part of check in and security and then you proceed to U.S. pre-clearance so basically two securities. 4 hours seems to be the magic number.

Also read some blogs on the CC Ports of Call Britain board about this.

Another tip

Join Pinterest. Tons and tons of pins for Dublin, Ireland, Azores, places of interest, what to wear, what not to do in a pub, etc. I found pins for all the places we are visiting on our tours. Guaranteed to keep you busy for hours and hours. Make a travel folder and save the ones you like.

I’m reading that Delta does not RECOMMEND four hours check in before a flight, but REQUIRES it. In other words for an 11am flight, they halt check in at 7am and you will not board if you arrive after that. I’m hoping there’s a possibility of doing an online check in, but it looks like you have to physically be at the airport.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I asked this question when going through Fast Track on way to MIA. Agent said that the timing slots was for their management use, to try to ascertain how may channels need to be manned at a particular time. Your Fast Track pass is valid for the date issued and not a specific time.

TIME TAKEN THRU' U.S. PRECLEARANCE @ Dublin Airport.

Recently we flew Aer Lingus to Miami and I made notes of time taken through security, pre clearance etc. However, I have mislaid the notes so here are approx times from memory. I am ignoring Check in and baggage drop as they have no relevance to Delta/AA etc as EI has check in kiosks and automated baggage drop.

12.45 pm - Security check point. I had booked Fast Track for 12.30 so asked if 'time' is important - agent said no! Time is irrelevant to passenger access. It is for their use to arrange manpower.

Security took 5 minutes for the two of us as there was no queue.

DW spent nearly 20 minutes in the pharmacy, book store and 'comfort break'.

We went straight down to US Pre clearance and there was a another security check (short queue which moved quickly). We then joined the queue for the actual pre clearance.

There are machines and if you have Global Entry it will speed up the process.

The lines move quite quickly and they are supervised, so you cannot pick the 'wrong' line.

We were at our gate for 2pm. So all in all, about an hour to get to gate. There were 3 other Transatlantic flights leaving within the same time slot as us.

This is just to give you and idea of the times involved.

TIME TAKEN THRU' U.S. PRECLEARANCE @ Dublin Airport.

Recently we flew Aer Lingus to Miami and I made notes of time taken through security, pre clearance etc. However, I have mislaid the notes so here are approx times from memory. I am ignoring Check in and baggage drop as they have no relevance to Delta/AA etc as EI has check in kiosks and automated baggage drop.

12.45 pm - Security check point. I had booked Fast Track for 12.30 so asked if 'time' is important - agent said no! Time is irrelevant to passenger access. It is for their use to arrange manpower.

Security took 5 minutes for the two of us as there was no queue.

DW spent nearly 20 minutes in the pharmacy, book store and 'comfort break'.

We went straight down to US Pre clearance and there was a another security check (short queue which moved quickly). We then joined the queue for the actual pre clearance.

There are machines and if you have Global Entry it will speed up the process.

The lines move quite quickly and they are supervised, so you cannot pick the 'wrong' line.

We were at our gate for 2pm. So all in all, about an hour to get to gate. There were 3 other Transatlantic flights leaving within the same time slot as us.

This is just to give you and idea of the times involved.

Thank you so very much for all this information....My ship docks at 5:30am and I'm going to try and be off the ship asap...into a taxi and on my way for my AA 11:20am flight...So you do suggest I purchase the Fast Track? Some have posted it will be of no benefit.??

I do not have Global Entry...my TSA Pre-check does me no good internationally. I guess I'm still concerned that many say I will need 4 hours to check in time frame.

Thank you so very much for all this information....My ship docks at 5:30am and I'm going to try and be off the ship asap...into a taxi and on my way for my AA 11:20am flight...So you do suggest I purchase the Fast Track? Some have posted it will be of no benefit.??

I do not have Global Entry...my TSA Pre-check does me no good internationally. I guess I'm still concerned that many say I will need 4 hours to check in time frame.

I would be inclined to go for the 11.20 flight. My reasoning would be like this.......

(1) Even if every pax turns up at checkin at the 4 hour limit, it is going to take AA some time to check them in and deal with their bags.

(2) If you are off the ship by 7am then you should be at the airport by 7.30 (that's 3 hrs 50mins hours before your flight. I can see no problem with checkin.

(3) Fast track may or may not save time - it depends on how many passengers are in the regular security line, but for the price, it really is a bit of insurance that will get you airside possibly quicker, but certainly no slower.

(4) I was pleasantly surprised at the smooth operation of the pre check, including calling out pax for departing flights and moving them up the line.