St Nicholas Rum

miss_rach

All,

This will be our first trip to Barbados and are doing the Mount Gay tour have a few other things planned and don't think we have time to get up to the abby. Do they sell St Nicholas Rums in any of the shops in the Port? If so all of them or just a few select ones?

Cheers!

Thanx!

Looking to see if they sell the Rum at any of the Port stores. Not sure if we are going to make it up there and if they sell it in the port probably won't, but if not might try to squeak it in.

If you click on "contact" on their website you can email the abbey for the answer to your question. From what I read in the link provided, it sounds like it is only sold in the abbey gift store. There is an admission fee so it would only be worth going if you allotted enough time to tour the site. Enjoy your day in Barbados.

• 3 weeks later...

This is just my opinion but others may differ. I would skip the Mount Gay Tour and do St. Nicholas Abbey instead. I enjoyed St. Nicholas Abbey much more than I did Mount Gay. Just thought it was ok. It's at an off-site location and wasn't a real factory experience. You can buy their rum anywhere. St. Nicholas Abbey had the house, gardens, plantation and windmill. We also tasted the different rums, bought a bottle and had it engraved.

This was just our experience given we have done the two.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Having just returned from our Celebrity Summit cruise yesterday (2 Dec) we were in Barbados 27 Nov. While in port we did a private tour with Sanjay Kini. He picked us up at the port and we toured various locations over the Island both on the Atlantic and Caribbean side. He made a stops at a few local "rum shacks" on the tour for local drinks and eats as well. We toured both the St. Nicholas Abby as well as the Mount Gay distillery's. We ended at Mount Gay and walked a block and caught the local bus back to the port. After we got back to the port I forgot that Cockspur rum was also made on the Island, I would have gone there vs Mount Gay. Both tours were nice but the Abby was much better and you could even see them actually making rum and they would answer all questions, where as the Mount Gay tour was only information only and then a tasting but no seeing the rum being made and they would tell you much information i.e. where they got the oak barrels to age the rum. The folks at the Abby told us they got the barrels from Jack Daniels. All in all it was a great day on the Island and Sanjay was a great tour guide.

• 2 months later...