Huge brawl on the Legend, with video.

Thorncroft

I was on the subsequent trip from Melbourne to Hobart. The guests departing said the incident was isolated and most people did not even know it was happening. Remember there's 2,500 people on the vessel so that not hard to understand. To the elfin princess who abducted me from the Carnival Legend Red Frog bar at 10pm 20/02/18. I salute you.

Gee. I don’t know if she actually even talked to the captain during the cruise. But you obviously believe everything that everyone posts on social media, so I’m very happy for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So if believe everything posted in social media, so what? How do you even know that? You got me and this passenger all figured out, but I wouldn't quit your day job and to offer psychic readings. I read this report in the news like the other folks on here. I've never been on this gals social media.

You still didn't answer my question. What competent answer could the captain have given, for allowing 8 days of violence to continue? You don't believe her answer, but what answer would be music to your ears?

I don’t even know that anyone asked him. I WASN’T THERE. Who knows if he was even asked this question, prior to his being hauled off to HQ. I don’t know what answer he gave or will give. And I really don’t care.

I just don’t blindly believe this woman just cause she said so.

My apologies if was you.

Feel free to quote the part in the Australian passenger contract that states if you are assaulted by a security guard you will need to file a civil case in Miami against Carnival and travel to the US and that the police in Australia would be refused permission to board and to arrest the man to face charges if they saw fit to do so because Aquahound says so.

If you would stop arguing for one second and try to comprehend what Aquahound is telling you, he was only responding to your claim that American courts aren’t irrelevant. American courts are relevant because it’s one course of action that could be taken. Aquahound knows what he’s talking about in these matters. Maritime crime is his field of expertise.

Hmmm, just last week, a woman smashed a bottle over a guy’s head on Princess. A few months ago, a woman was murdered on Princess. And need I remind you of the woman who was brutally raped and almost killed on HAL? Don’t act like this stuff doesn’t happen on all lines and don’t act like you’re not reading these responses.

I agree this has gone on to long, everyone had their opinion but no one knows what really happened.

You said American courts are irrelevant. You were wrong. If the person on the ground wants to take action against the security guards, they need to file suit against Carnival in Miami. That's how it works. Don't believe me? Read Carnival's cruise contract.

I believe Carnival Australia is a separate entity. Contract may be different. Not sure.

That's what happens when you try to insert facts into a hyperbole conversation. ;)

What I don't understand is why Miami Courts were moved to New South Wales Australia to deal with this civil case against Carnival Australia - the same owners of this vessel I believe. I find it most odd you chose to make your "attack" out of context in the first place since I was obviously responding to the suggestion American LEO rights are valid on a cruise ship sailing to Australia and criminal offence taking place with the Australian (not American) police being called by Carnival to deal with it. Instead you chose to suggest that an Australian would need to appear in a Miami court to sue an Australian company whose contracts will most certainly not be the same as the contract you will be travelling under.

Welsh v Carnival PLC trading as Carnival Australia [2014] NSWCA 430 McColl JA Sackville AJA Adamson J 12 December 2014

I look forward to you inserting some "facts" in the future. :D

I kind of understand the crew security going in hard. They're on a ship at sea, there will only be a limited number of security personnel available - and dealing with these yobs would severely impair their capacity to respond to any other issues. It would not be any different if you went to punch a police officer - possibly you would be shot dead. I think the violence was necessary and proportionate by security.

All this makes me wonder if I will be safe on my 2 week Alaskan Aug '18. I would think that on a 2 week cruise, we would not get that kind of crowd. I know this cruise was 10 days, but from what I have read on CC boards a 10 day cruise is short for Aussies. I hope I do not regret not canceling.

Thousands of cruises a year. Virtually everyone has cell phones with video and access to internet. If you cancel based on one cruise with one bunch of ignorant passengers, you might as well move to a cabin in the woods and never come out.

Thanks for nothing ! Now we have even more info to rant on about. ;)

If this thread proves anything, its that even hindsight is not 20:20.

A couple of points missed:

1. Perhaps the sheer number in this group dictated the Carnival response. I don't know the capacity of the Brig on Legend but I sincerely doubt it would hold 20 or more passengers. 4 were put off in Lifou which is probably the capacity of their jail.

2. These South Pacific Island nations are either independant or French controlled. Most are very small and whilst the cruise industry basically IS their main source of income - there are many locals who are resentful of the impact cruise passengers have on their serenity.

3. Like any situation, there will always be those willing to pigeon hole. Arguments like: 'only in Australia'; 'Drink packages should be banned'; 'discount cruises have opened cruising to a lesser class of people'; don't add anything useful to the conversation. They do however dilute the real issues here.

In no way do I condone the actions of the Carnival Crew. However, having been in many similar situations working in crowd control, I realise that most of the options to descalate or peacefully resolve this sustained level of violence - simply aren't available on a cruiseship. The introduction of any new security measure will umdoubtedly introduce other risk factors.

As I said, I cannot condone the way the crew vented their frustration, but can wholeheartedly condemn the actions of the aggressors and sincerely hope karma somehow provides their punishment.

I just stepped off the Tassie trip a few days ago from the Carnival Legend. It was calm and safe on board the whole trip.

A good thing about most Aussies, no matter their creed or heritage - do not suffer fools for very long

What I don’t understand is that the Ship is big, more than one pool if a group of people are being rude stay away from them. If people have noticed in the beginning they were trouble if they come around go somewhere else. I have always told my kids in school if you know who the bully is stay away from that person.

Was on the Conquest a few years back. A large group of heavy drinkers were also on.They didn't seem violent, just LOUD. They were easy enough to avoid, you could just listen for them, but dang they always seemed to show up where we were. Guess we knew where all the hot spots were. As far as I know they never caused any security issues. Were just having a very good time. A bit obnoxious but seemed harmless.

Edited by dwayneb236

What I don’t understand is that the Ship is big, more than one pool if a group of people are being rude stay away from them. If people have noticed in the beginning they were trouble if they come around go somewhere else. I have always told my kids in school if you know who the bully is stay away from that person.

Exactly, stay at a distance, grab some popcorn and a bucket of beers and watch the stupidity!;p

Yeah just walking is a good one, I agree with you for sure. Some folks seem to have a penchant for getting too close to the action. Others seem always to have trouble follow them around, and never question their lot. Carnival is kind of new to servicing a Melbourne base. Melbourne has always had a bit of a dark shady element, no more than any other city IMO. They keep to themselves for the most part for their code or self-preservation, which is how we like it. My x's mum said once you take man on his own and he's a good man, you give him a mate and then he's becomes half a man. That's how we see mindless gang violence - folks with brain injury that need rehab.