Sailing into Southampton, what to do until late flight from Heathrow (LHR)

Thought I would share this suggestion for those who terminate their cruise in Southampton and have hours to kill until their flight out of Heathrow. Last summer we disembarked at 8 AM and our flight wasn’t until 4:30 and we didn’t want to sit around the airport for all of that time. The solution we came up with was to take a private transfer to Windsor, spend a few hours wandering thru

the delightful town, watch the marching of the guard, have a great lunch, visit the Windsor Farm Shop and then the driver dropped us off at Heathrow. We would have had plenty of time to tour Windsor Castle but we had seen 16 castles and palaces already on the cruise and we were all “ castled out” by then (if you decide to tour the castle be sure to book your tickets online in advance.) The driver kept our luggage locked in the trunk of the car and we were free to explore. The cruise line offered an excursion for twice the price And far less time in town. We used Blackberry Car Service, cost was £144 for a car for 4. It made an utterly dreaded day into an enjoyable interlude before the long flight home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for posting this.

That sounds like a great way to spend the day before heading to Heathrow for a later flight.

We may end up doing this after our upcoming cruise that ends at Southampton.

Yes, the obvious choice if you have a late flight out.

Plenty to keep you occupied even if you don't visit the castle, and only 20 mins from LHR so you don't need more than about an extra half-hour wiggleroom.

Problem is Windsor's not convenient from Southampton (or even LHR) by public transport, and there's no left-luggage facility anywhere in Windsor.

So private transfer is pretty-well the only option.............

.......except perhaps those with even later flights

- ? possibly ship's tour-transfer

- .https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_to_london_shared_bus.html (but the bus doesn't get to LHR til around 5pm, so no good for the OP)

- private transfer via LHR to drop luggage (luggage drop or left-luggage) before continuing to Windsor & pay-off the transfer car. At the end of the day take a local taxi back to LHR (about £35). Costs time, but might make sense with an evening flight because you're not paying for hours of waiting time.

JB :)

• 2 months later...

We are docking in Southampton and are using Hummingbird Cars to LHR for a 4 PM flight. Does anyone have any suggestions for a

quick stop in some quaint town or small city along the way? I have seen Salisbury mentioned a few times. Any comments would be appreciated. This would be on a Thursday in July.

Salisbury and Stonehenge would fit your timescale, but would add about 40 minutes to your drive-time / cost as well as the driver's waiting time (say 60 mins in Salisbury and 60 to 75 mins at Stonehenge). You would also be advised to pre-book timed (30 minute window for arrival) admission.

Easier and cheaper would be the cathedral city of Winchester. It's close to Southampton, and just a mile off your direct route to LHR.

If cathedrals aren't your thing, also just a couple of miles off your route is Wheels museum in Basingstoke - indoor street scenes, stocked shops etc of the early 20th century. Basingstoke itself isn't worthy of a visit, it was a market town but vastly over-developed in the 1970's.

Highclere castle (Downton Abbey) would add something under an hour to your drive-time. You'd need to actually visit,, the place is not visible from the road.

Same added drive-time for the village of Chawton, and the last home of Jane Austen.

Or Brooklands, a couple of motorway junctions off your route near Heathrow. An important airport in its time and Britain's first motor racing circuit circa 1905, now an aircraft and motor racing museum.

Or Brooklands, a couple of motorway junctions off your route near Heathrow. An important airport in its time and Britain's first motor racing circuit circa 1905, now an aircraft and motor racing museum.

Come on JB, let’s blow our own trumpet when we can...the worlds first purpose built motor racing circuit!

Simon

Salisbury and Stonehenge would fit your timescale, but would add about 40 minutes to your drive-time / cost as well as the driver's waiting time (say 60 mins in Salisbury and 60 to 75 mins at Stonehenge). You would also be advised to pre-book timed (30 minute window for arrival) admission.

Easier and cheaper would be the cathedral city of Winchester. It's close to Southampton, and just a mile off your direct route to LHR.

If cathedrals aren't your thing, also just a couple of miles off your route is Wheels museum in Basingstoke - indoor street scenes, stocked shops etc of the early 20th century. Basingstoke itself isn't worthy of a visit, it was a market town but vastly over-developed in the 1970's.

Highclere castle (Downton Abbey) would add something under an hour to your drive-time. You'd need to actually visit,, the place is not visible from the road.

Same added drive-time for the village of Chawton, and the last home of Jane Austen.

Thanks so much for your response. I didn't realize that Salisbury was out of the way and Winchester sounds enticing. What I would like is the feeling of a typical English town center. I've seen photos of Salisbury which make it look like it is charming. Is there a town center or area like that in Winchester? If not, is there another "quaint" town along the way to LHR that you would suggest?

Thanks so much for your response. I didn't realize that Salisbury was out of the way and Winchester sounds enticing. What I would like is the feeling of a typical English town center. I've seen photos of Salisbury which make it look like it is charming. Is there a town center or area like that in Winchester? If not, is there another "quaint" town along the way to LHR that you would suggest?

The centre of Winchester is actually MORE historic than Salisbury, it was the capital of Wessex from around AD 500. Wessex, the southern part of modern-day England, was one of the several kingdoms that united to become the United Kingdom around AD 900.

Its cathedral dates from before the Norman Conquest (1066 and all that), much older than Salisbury's.

The historic centre, right by the cathedral, is little more than one street - very easy for a flying visit.

I prefer Salisbury because it's more laid-back and rurally -based. But Winchester is the more historic and iconic.

Your driver will probably drop you near King Alfred's statue and collect you from there at an agreed time - parking in the centre of Winchester is next-to-impossible.

Ps to Simon. Yes, my apologies to Brooklands - the WORLD's first purpose-built motor-racing circuit.

The centre of Winchester is actually MORE historic than Salisbury, it was the capital of Wessex from around AD 500. Wessex, the southern part of modern-day England, was one of the several kingdoms that united to become the United Kingdom around AD 900.

Its cathedral dates from before the Norman Conquest (1066 and all that), much older than Salisbury's.

The historic centre, right by the cathedral, is little more than one street - very easy for a flying visit.

I prefer Salisbury because it's more laid-back and rurally -based. But Winchester is the more historic and iconic.

Your driver will probably drop you near King Alfred's statue and collect you from there at an agreed time - parking in the centre of Winchester is next-to-impossible.

Ps to Simon. Yes, my apologies to Brooklands - the WORLD's first purpose-built motor-racing circuit.

Without wishing to become pedantic, the United Kingdom didn't come into being until 1801 following the Act of Union in 1800 when its full title was The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. I believe that you meant "that united to become The Kingdom of England around AD 900".

Don't wish to confuse our overseas visitors

Hi JB,

I really appreciate all the information you have given me. I think that we will try to get our driver to sing by Winchester on our way to Southampton and, on the way back, stop in Salisbury for 45 - 60 minutes.

Without wishing to become pedantic, the United Kingdom didn't come into being until 1801 following the Act of Union in 1800 when its full title was The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. I believe that you meant "that united to become The Kingdom of England around AD 900".

Don't wish to confuse our overseas visitors

No doubt you're right, don't want to confuse our overseas visitors.:o

On the other hand, you can't get a more British name than John Bull.

Not too sure about Burgmeister :p

Regards