Sail in and/or sail away on a Fjords cruise.

Hi,

We will be going on a Norwegian Fjords cruise next month. Our plans are in place, except for...dinner. I'd like to make some dining reservation times if possible (I know the grabbing something at the buffet is always an option, but it would be nice to be served at dinner.

Another consideration is what time would the evening show be? Is there more than one? Is there something that is not to be missed - in particular something that would relate to a port that we would be visiting? Any info on that would also be helpful.

I am worried about missing sail aways. I've noted info that I have found (correct me if I'm wrong.

Our itinerary is:

1. embark Copenhagen

2. cruising

3. Geiranger - 1-1/2 to the mouth - 5 hrs in total

4. cruising Arctic circle

5. Tromso

6. Honningsvag

7. cruising

8. Alesund - no more than an hour

9. Flam

10. Bergen - probably less than an hour

11. cruising

12. Copenhagen

Soooo looking forward to this cruise!

Thanking you in advance for any assistance you can give on this,

Jane.

I find that early seating dinner on most cruiselines conflicts a bit with the sail-out. I think it’s later on some of the Italian lines, but for reference, the sail out from places like Geiranger and Flåm can take a few hours. If you want to enjoy the whole thing, I think late seating is better.

For the lines I’ve been on that had multiple dinner seatings, they’ve always offered two performances for the evening entertainment, so that there was at least one show available regardless of your dinner time. With late seating, that could mean choosing the entertainment or the sail out, but I’ve never seen a ship show that competes with the fjords.

Of course there’s always the sail in as well, but I’m not a morning person! :) And I don’t mind doing both. One year we watched the Geiranger sail-in up on deck with cameras, and then spent the sail-out in the outside hot tub for a different perspective. It was actually really great, since we were looking up at the towering fjord walls, and it was much warmer in the water! People on deck were all bundled up, and we were nice and comfy!

What cruise line are we asking about? Ship? I would be asking on the board for that cruise line.

Most cruise lines schedule their meals and entertainment so you can do both, not be forced to chose one over the other.

Thank you CruiserBruce! Duly noted and done.

I find that early seating dinner on most cruiselines conflicts a bit with the sail-out. I think it’s later on some of the Italian lines, but for reference, the sail out from places like Geiranger and Flåm can take a few hours. If you want to enjoy the whole thing, I think late seating is better.

For the lines I’ve been on that had multiple dinner seatings, they’ve always offered two performances for the evening entertainment, so that there was at least one show available regardless of your dinner time. With late seating, that could mean choosing the entertainment or the sail out, but I’ve never seen a ship show that competes with the fjords.

Of course there’s always the sail in as well, but I’m not a morning person! :) And I don’t mind doing both. One year we watched the Geiranger sail-in up on deck with cameras, and then spent the sail-out in the outside hot tub for a different perspective. It was actually really great, since we were looking up at the towering fjord walls, and it was much warmer in the water! People on deck were all bundled up, and we were nice and comfy!

Thank you - I do like the idea of the hot tub! And definitely no show can compete with the fjords (why else are we here?) Dinner...there's always grazing at the buffet!

Agree you probably want to go late.

The further north you go, the longer the daylight. So there will be plenty to see on the sail outs. And once above the Arctic Circle, you'll have 24 hr daylight.

Thank you Diane - I just figured that the ship would be the closest to the coastline during sail-ins and sail aways, and that if there is something "extra" special regarding certain ports. We'll just need to burn the candles at both ends this trip!

Jane.

Like you, I was focused on the coastline. Until one night, after dark, I looked towards the sea.

And there were lights all over from the oil rigs. Big oiling area. It was fascinating.

And re: Bergen, if you want to take the funicular, easy to do on your own.

The long fjords are Storfjord and Geiranger Fjord to Geiranger - I have added videos from the two fjords.

- In the video the Storfjord sailing started 04:30 am and we did enter Geiranger Fjord at 05:30 am for an 8 anm arrival at Geiranger - the Seven Sisters Watersfall just before Geiranger is a must.

- Sognefjord and Aurland Fjord to Flåm - Here my video also starts at 04:30 - the last part when sailing out is at 11:15 pm

The other fjords are just short fjords - scenery is fantastic - I have included some of the other fjords in my 'Cruising the Magnificent Fjords of Norway' - Midnight Sun is also magical - I have added my Midnight Sun video from a Hurtigruten cruise from Bodø to Kirkenes

Enjoy your cruise.

lj27w5PLG9o

W4ADnHAWzYM

hxy6c2DUqXY

_ZzhGY8x_2E

I am with you on this one.. Frequently on cruises we bypass dinner, or make alternate arrangements, to see the sail out. Most people on the ship think I am crazy!

I can tell you that the sail - in to Flam was really special. We were scheduled to dock at 6:30 and I was up at 4:30 (in June it was plenty light at 4:30.) It is a long sail - in. This was the best part of the cruise for me, I was the only one on the deck at first and it was beautiful, and very quiet. I do think the sail out was less spectacular - I am not sure why, maybe due to wind, sun angles, shadows, etc. The scenery was just more spectacular in the morning than in the evening.

We chose MTD for this sailing but fully expect to just graze at the buffet when there is evening scenery. When we cruised in Alaska we did that as well.

I do have what may be a foolish question. Is there much difference in watching a sail in versus a sail out of a fjord. I am not usually an early riser but will be up at 4:30 if I need to be.

Hallasm - thank you for the videos - I also checked out your blog - did you take notes while filming - how did you remember all of those names? I am terrible with names.

ccjack - for Flam we do not arrive until 10:30, so I am sure we will be up to watch most of that beautiful sail - in. 3:30 or so sunrise could be a bit tough. I love to get up early for sail ins along with a sunrise, watching the little towns waking up.

Allentownboy aka Doug - we're on the same sailing! I think we may be grazing at the buffet along with you, if we can pull ourselves away long enough for that. We do have members in our group that do enjoy the shows, but I feel this is a show of a lifetime.

I am loving all the input I've gotten here - thank you all! I've also posted these same questions on the Royal Caribbean thread.

I do have what may be a foolish question. Is there much difference in watching a sail in versus a sail out of a fjord. I am not usually an early riser but will be up at 4:30 if I need to be.

Not really. The angle of the sun will be different, but that’s about it. I have found that in Geiranger they sometimes point out some of the sights during the sail-in, but that’s often a bit later in the morning after the ship has passed Hellesylt.

Hallasm - thank you for the videos - I also checked out your blog - did you take notes while filming - how did you remember all of those names? I am terrible with names.

Technology. I do have a Canon pocket camera with built-in GPS. Taking photos along with my video I alway have a time stamp and position. Google maps helping a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

ccjack - for Flam we do not arrive until 10:30, so I am sure we will be up to watch most of that beautiful sail - in. 3:30 or so sunrise could be a bit tough. I love to get up early for sail ins along with a sunrise, watching the little towns waking up.

Allentownboy aka Doug - we're on the same sailing! I think we may be grazing at the buffet along with you, if we can pull ourselves away long enough for that. We do have members in our group that do enjoy the shows, but I feel this is a show of a lifetime.

I am loving all the input I've gotten here - thank you all! I've also posted these same questions on the Royal Caribbean thread.

10:30 is a bit more reasonable.... on deck by 7:30 should be good. Ours was very early - look at all the people on the deck with me below ! That did make it very quiet and special. I took some 360 degree panoramic videos without a single person in the video... Hallasm videos are excellent.. thanks for posting... Have fun !

35673775891_e3f096b11c_c.jpg

CCJack -

Thank you for yet another response. I'm loving the 7:30! - we would probably be there earlier than that. So jealous of your empty decks...we can only hope (but, so very doubtful), but, all in all, life is good!

Jane.

CCJack -

Thank you for yet another response. I'm loving the 7:30! - we would probably be there earlier than that. So jealous of your empty decks...we can only hope (but, so very doubtful), but, all in all, life is good!

Jane.

Me too. 7:30 works. See you on deck.

Ruth