Clothing for Norwegian Fjord cruise

We are taking our Norway cruise at the end of June and I am really wondering what sort of clothing is best. I am trying to have us not look like total tourists but I also need to be mindful of space and weight of our luggage. I think long pants are necessary but maybe not too many pairs of jeans. I know a lot of people wear exercise clothing when out and about. Is this acceptable in Norway? Thanks!

depends on how far north you are going in Norway

layers including a rain jacket

we have been in June & July/Aug

I had hats & mitts rain jacket & fleece both trips the south part of Norway we had some days where shorts could be worn

We are excited about heading to Norway on the Koningsdam in June as well, and I am planning to take a pair of fleece lined leggings for the bike ride down the mountain at Flam as well as a raincoat. I am going to tuck in a cashmere sweater to wear with casual knit travel pants in case it is chilly. I usually do knit layers, but I hate to be cold, so I will be digging out a pair of gloves just in case the fjord cruise is breezy. I pack in compression bags and I don't think Amsterdam will be cold at all, so it is a bit more challenging to be prepared for whatever you need.

Shoes present the biggest issue for me weight wise in the luggage. I am taking lightweight sketchers for serious walking shoes and probably dressier wedge sandals for evening.

Just in general, I don't take jeans (although I live in them at home). They are heavy, take up a lot of space, and, if need to be washed, take a long time to dry

I wear supplex nylon pants when we travel. They are very light, take up very little space, and can even dry, under the right conditions, in a couple of hours.

Took them to Norway, Iceland and Antarctica ... along with lightweight good quality long underwear.

crewsgirl: Can you talk a bit more about compression bags, please? I for sure need something of the sort, but have never used them.

Thank you.

I use the Ziploc brand too! These are readily available at Walmart, the Dollar Store, Target, Amazon, just about anywhere. And I never use a vacuum to get a good closure and seal. I lay all my tops together and only fold them 1 time, then I do the same with pants and place in the compression bag and gently remove all the air. I don't make it ridiculously tight, but it is amazing what you can get in there.

I use them for several reasons:

I can actually pack 30% more

It allows me to stay so organized, they have different sizes depending on the bag you are carrying and what you need.

I can pack my overnight precruise items in a single compression bag and never have to open my other bags if we are doing a few days before we get on the ship.

And it is cleaner in the event TSA decides to go through my bag, they won't have their hands on my things. :o:o

Unpacking when you get home is a snap.

I designate one bag for dirty laundry while on the trip and it stays separate from the other clothing.

I have used this method for years while doing business travel and managed to go very efficiently and compactly.

I carry the 26"Lipault plume spinner which weighs only 6.6 lbs, my Lipault carry on bag weighs 4.9 lbs. and it is a game changer for us. So easy. I never exceed the weight limits and take lots of clothes, usually more than I ever wear.

This year, I splurged and got my husband a set of his own Lipault luggage. I love it. Threw away the heavy old Samsonite we had.

Layers are the key. I always take a lightweight but properly waterproof rain jacket and a lightweight but warm fleece or down jacket to wear under it if it's cold. I am wary of thermal underwear as the days can start cold and rapidly warm up at that time of year. I take a thin foldable bag to carry all the outer layers as I peel down to a t shirt in the sun!

One thing I have found really useful is knee length socks under my trousers! If it is cold, they keep my lower legs warm, (and keep some of the rain from penetrating to skin level ) but can be folded down if it gets hot! Easier to cope with than thermal tights or base layers, and finding somewhere private to shed them!

Weather in Norway can be very variable, even within the same day, and when it rains, it rains!

I am heading to the Baltic Area in late Sept(Norway/Sweden/Germany/Denmark,etc). Feel okay with what I have for layering on top, but still unsure of the type of pants/jeans/shoes/boots to wear for walking about in wet chilly weather. Any advice is appreciated.

I am heading to the Baltic Area in late Sept(Norway/Sweden/Germany/Denmark,etc). Feel okay with what I have for layering on top, but still unsure of the type of pants/jeans/shoes/boots to wear for walking about in wet chilly weather. Any advice is appreciated.

I usually wear a pr of jeans on the plane then pack other long pants ..not too lightweight but cotton blends

zip offs are good if the weather warms up in the day

if you are planning to hike a nice waterproof hiking boot or I normally just take a good pr of walking shoes

enjoy

I usually wear a pr of jeans on the plane then pack other long pants ..not too lightweight but cotton blends

zip offs are good if the weather warms up in the day

if you are planning to hike a nice waterproof hiking boot or I normally just take a good pr of walking shoes

enjoy

Yikes, my boots are sooo heavy, I hate to try to pack them. I am interested in other alternatives for good walking shoes. For city sightseeing (my kind of hiking, haha) I have some Ecco mary janes that fill the bill nicely. But, for that waterproof element, I need some suggestions that don't weigh a ton, please.

Yikes, my boots are sooo heavy, I hate to try to pack them. I am interested in other alternatives for good walking shoes. For city sightseeing (my kind of hiking, haha) I have some Ecco mary janes that fill the bill nicely. But, for that waterproof element, I need some suggestions that don't weigh a ton, please.

I do not hike so my ECCO closed toed shoes work fine

I have another pr of Sketchers I wear on the ship if my other shoes are too wet

I have found it works for me

There is a traditional expression in Norwegian that "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing." (It rhymes in Norwegian.) So you will not look out of place at all dressing for the elements.

A good waterproof jacket is the most essential. Preferably something that breathes, so that you don't get clammy inside. Don't count on an umbrella, since it won't hold up in some of the particularly windy weather along the coast.

Layers are always a good idea, because the climate does vary. Not only can the weather change significantly from day to day, or even within a day, on a nice sunny day the temperature will easily drop 5º when the sun goes behind a cloud. When it's warm enough to wear short sleeves, if I'm out all day I will typically carry a light "summer jacket" with me in case it becomes overcast.

If you're planning on being very active, moisture-wicking synthetics will not look terribly out of place either. It's not uncommon to see people wearing exercise clothing made from high-tech performance fabrics on their way to/from a sports activity.

For waterproof footwear, boots are really only necessary if you're doing some serious hiking. If you're headed up into the mountains on a "difficult" rated trail, then absolutely. However, for most day hiking around the Norwegian ports, hiking shoes are typically fine unless you need additional ankle support. There are plenty of lightweight waterproof hiking shoes available at outdoor stores (e.g. REI in the US).

For a typical cruise, I'd recommend a few short-sleeve tops that can be used alone or as base layers, a lightweight fleece, a mid- to heavy-weight fleece (depending on your cold tolerance), a waterproof breathable jacket (that can be worn over the fleece to create the equivalent of a winter jacket), a pair of comfortable walking shoes (preferably waterproof), a warm hat, and gloves. Since I like having a wrap at dinner, I usually bring along a pashmina that can do double-duty as a scarf if I'm feeling chilly outside.

We are going on the Koningsdam to Norway the first week of June. What to wear has been our biggest consideration! I’m sure Alaska cruisers go through the same thing. I hate to overpack, so we are planning to utilize the laundry service early to midway through our short cruise.

I’m bringing my waterproof Ahnu hiking shoes, but also a lightweight pair of tennis shoes. I wear these hiking shoes all the time and highly recommend them. I wore them in rainy Olympic National Park in Washington last fall and my feet stayed dry. Also, if you can wear merino wool socks, your feet will stay warm and dry as well since they wick away moisture.

Since we’re doing a few tours where we could get cold (e-cars in Geiranger- no windows [emoji15] and hiking around Mt. Floyen in Bergen), I’m taking a pair of fleece lined leggings and pants. Those may also come in handy for windy, cool conditions on deck during sail in/out of the fjords.

I agree with others about their recommendations for raincoat and layers. That’s what we’re planning to pack. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
This is just one brand --- if you plan on using compression bags make sure you don't purchase the kind that uses a vacuum cleaner to suck out the air!!

85254946075482p?$478$

Does the compression and up making all your clothes wrinkled?

Does the compression and up making all your clothes wrinkled?

I don't press the compression bag all the way down to make it all scrunched and tight and crazy looking. And I lay a stack of clothes together and only fold them over once before putting them in the compression bag, and I haven't found it to be too bad actually. I hang them in the closet as soon as we board and can let them "steam" a bit in the bathroom or press something if I absolutely have to. I like to travel in knits and easy care fabrics as well. No linen for this girl.

Is there a difference between a compression bag and a regular zip-loc bag? What I mean is how is the compression accomplished? Just by a person pressing down? Then just any plain old zip-loc could be used, no? I'm confused. Thanks.

Is there a difference between a compression bag and a regular zip-loc bag? What I mean is how is the compression accomplished? Just by a person pressing down? Then just any plain old zip-loc could be used, no? I'm confused. Thanks.

I have used both the compression bags I have you roll or squeeze the air out & there are some valves on the end to keep the air from getting back in

The large zip locks work ok but I find they allow air in more easily but they will work

The compression bags have a valve that allow all the air to be removed from the package, it is much more efficient that a regular ziplock in my experience. I don't usually roll them to remove the air because that really will wrinkle all your garments. I press them down uniformly to remove as much air as possible while creating a neat package that goes in the suitcase. Truth be told, I lay down on the compression bag and remove the air. Works great for me. Ha.

I will be packing 1 medium size compression bag for our 3 days in Amsterdam before we board the ship and that will occupy my carry on bag.

Then, my larger checked bag will consist of 3 different compression bags for the week long trip and shoes will fit in the sides of the suitcase.

I am planning to take a soft ultralight down coat with a removable hood that stuffs into its own bag as well. And I will easily be under 50 lbs on the checked bag and I don't plan to do laundry and I take usually 2 tops per day while we are traveling. I always change from daytime to nighttime.

For night time wear, I am taking 1 black maxi dress, 1 black jumpsuit, 4 dressy tops, 3 pairs of dressy pants. Does this sound about right ? And I would love to hear your combos for nighttime wear. I am trying to minimize shoes as well.

I don't usually roll them to remove the air because that really will wrinkle all your garments. I press them down uniformly to remove as much air as possible while creating a neat package that goes in the suitcase. Truth be told, I lay down on the compression bag and remove the air.

I roll mine then flatten them for packing the clothes are not wrinkled but I will try your method of lying on them :D

Many thanks for responding. When I look at the photo of those "ziploc space bags," I don't see any valve. That's why I was confused. So there's a valve on those ziploc compression bags?

Many thanks for responding. When I look at the photo of those "ziploc space bags," I don't see any valve. That's why I was confused. So there's a valve on those ziploc compression bags?

Mine are not zip lock but look like these

71Zl6TMkSXL._SL1218_.jpg

The valve is across the end of the bag. We just got some of the ziplock brand to pack our jackets in. Seem to work pretty well, but I don’t think I’d pack clothes in them. Seem like they would wrinkle things. Norway in one week from today!

The valve is across the end of the bag. We just got some of the ziplock brand to pack our jackets in. Seem to work pretty well, but I don’t think I’d pack clothes in them. Seem like they would wrinkle things. Norway in one week from today!

The ziploc bags do not wrinkle your clothing any more than if you packed your clothing in your case. It keeps them from shifting around in your luggage. A big plus, as someone mentioned is if the TSA needs/wants to do an inspection, everything stays neater.

I hate to get off the topic of squish-able bags, but related to your original question, apparently the weather has been very warm in Norway this year, temps in the 80's.

We leave on a Norway cruise next week and it's throwing a wrench in our packing plans.