Can help with Q for Oslo if someone needs it;)

Would appreciate a guesstimate of how long we should allot to visit each of these: Vigeland Sculptures, Holmenkollen Tower, and Kontiki. We don’t need in depth visits but don’t want miss the “must see” things at each place. Thank you for any thoughts and input. We would probably have the Oslo pass so no time needs taken in to consideration to purchase tickets.

Would appreciate a guesstimate of how long we should allot to visit each of these: Vigeland Sculptures, Holmenkollen Tower, and Kontiki. We don’t need in depth visits but don’t want miss the “must see” things at each place. Thank you for any thoughts and input. We would probably have the Oslo pass so no time needs taken in to consideration to purchase tickets.
I typically spend about an hour at Vigelands Park even though I’ve been there dozens of times. So I’d say at least 90 minutes for a first time visit. More if you’re particularly interested in the artwork (or if you leave off the central path and wander around the non-sculpture areas of Frogner Park).

I think it took us at least an hour to get through the Kon-Tiki reading all of the information, because it definitely brought on some museum fatigue.

For the ski jump, it depends on what you want out of the visit. The ski museum can probably take an hour, but I personally don’t find the subject interesting enough to spend that much time. Getting to the top of the jump tower depends entirely on the crowds. Best case, it can take 15 minutes if there’s no queue. Worst case, I’ve heard of a 2-hour wait.

We will be arriving at Gardermoen Airport next month and want to take the local NSB train to the Central Station, I think Oslo S. I apologize if this has been covered before, but I can't seem to figure out how we buy a ticket. Since we're not sure what time we will be ready to take the train, we'd prefer to buy the ticket at the airport. Are there machines or ticket agents? Will we be able to use our credit card? What about ApplePay? We are arriving without Krone and would prefer to avoid ATMs at the airport. Thanks in advance for any advice.

We will be arriving at Gardermoen Airport next month and want to take the local NSB train to the Central Station, I think Oslo S. I apologize if this has been covered before, but I can't seem to figure out how we buy a ticket. Since we're not sure what time we will be ready to take the train, we'd prefer to buy the ticket at the airport. Are there machines or ticket agents? Will we be able to use our credit card? What about ApplePay? We are arriving without Krone and would prefer to avoid ATMs at the airport. Thanks in advance for any advice.

No problem. It is ticket machines and office. You can pay by visa or master card. They don’t do Apple Pay.

No need to pre book tickets for the local trains.

Only for the long distance trains to Bergen, Trondheim, Bodø, Stavanger etc.

Safe travel:D

No problem. It is ticket machines and office. You can pay by visa or master card. They don’t do Apple Pay.

No need to pre book tickets for the local trains.

Only for the long distance trains to Bergen, Trondheim, Bodø, Stavanger etc.

Safe travel:D

Thanks for the help. That should work out just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Our ship (Navigator of the Seas) docks at Filipstad 1030-1700 on Sunday 17 June. We are interested in visiting the Folk Museum, Viking Ship museum, Fram & Kon Tiki museums (some or all) - what is the best way to get there? We will have one 82yo (who is active & sprightly) but we don't want to overdo things for her with too much walking. Are there taxis at the port at Filipstad and would that be our best option? Bus 30 does not seem to stop very close to Filipstad.

many thanks

Rose

Our ship (Navigator of the Seas) docks at Filipstad 1030-1700 on Sunday 17 June. We are interested in visiting the Folk Museum, Viking Ship museum, Fram & Kon Tiki museums (some or all) - what is the best way to get there? We will have one 82yo (who is active & sprightly) but we don't want to overdo things for her with too much walking. Are there taxis at the port at Filipstad and would that be our best option? Bus 30 does not seem to stop very close to Filipstad.

many thanks

Rose

There will probably be some taxis at the port. A taxi to the Folk Museum would probably cost around 200-250 NOK, depending on the taxi company.

The closest 30 bus stop is about 15-20 minutes walk to Solli plass or back to Rådhuset. If you wanted to walk, there is a fairly smooth and wide walk in path back into town from Filipstad. The walk to Solli requires crossing a somewhat steep pedestrian bridge over the highway.

We prepaid for the tour we're doing this weekend, but figure we need some cash for tipping the tour guide. As this is the only cash I figure we'll need, what does everyone recommend we do for a small amount? I'm thinking we only need like $20 worth of NOK - should I just eat the poor exchange rate and buy some on the ship?

We prepaid for the tour we're doing this weekend, but figure we need some cash for tipping the tour guide. As this is the only cash I figure we'll need, what does everyone recommend we do for a small amount? I'm thinking we only need like $20 worth of NOK - should I just eat the poor exchange rate and buy some on the ship?

You could just use an ATM

Do you have any other stops in Norway where you could get some??

is it worth it to spend time going up the Sneak Peak elevator if we will also be seeing views from the roof of the opera house and at the castle/fortress?

I didn't even know this was a thing! I don't know anyone who has done it, so I can't comment too much about it specifically.

The views from the fortress will be of the harbor areas, since it's not particularly high. From the opera roof, if you turn around, you'll get some view over the city. However, it's diminishing a bit as they build up the Barcode area more and more. The highlight is more looking out over the water.

If you're particularly interested in a view of the city, 20 NOK doesn't sound bad, but I wouldn't say Oslo is the most picturesque city when viewed from above. The view from up in the hills is nice, but that's really capitalizing on the fact that the city is right up against the water and surrounded by the hills. It makes for a nice panorama because of the justification. Being in the middle of it, especially down by the water, I don't know if it would be that spectacular.

I took a look at some photos from the top on Google Images and TripAdvisor, and personally I think it looks underwhelming. However, it's definitely a more overhead view than you'd get from the other two locations, and 20 NOK is not a lot of money for Oslo. If it looks like something you'd be interested in, then sure, go for it! Just set your expectations at the right level!

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a detailed map anywhere of the royal place park? We will be there the week after the palace tours end (much to my disappointment), but it sounds like the Queen Sonja Art Stable is still open and I am also interested in seeing Princess Ingrid Alexandra's sculpture park.

Is there a detailed map anywhere of the royal place park? We will be there the week after the palace tours end (much to my disappointment), but it sounds like the Queen Sonja Art Stable is still open and I am also interested in seeing Princess Ingrid Alexandra's sculpture park.

This photo is a few years old, but they may have updated them since the addition of the new sculptures:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Slottsparken_Royal_Palace_Oslo_Norway_tavle_kart_map_infoboard_2015-10-05.jpg

This photo is a few years old, but they may have updated them since the addition of the new sculptures:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Slottsparken_Royal_Palace_Oslo_Norway_tavle_kart_map_infoboard_2015-10-05.jpg

Thank you, that's helpful with the labels for the buildings. On Google Maps they are not all labeled so I was having trouble figuring out which one exactly was the art stable. (I am assuming it's the one labeled Stallbygningen because Google Translate tells me that means "stable block" and the change to the art gallery did not happen until 2017.)