HELSINKI public transportation

My first time to Helsinki, coming on Brilliance of the Seas on 9 May.

I read that on arrival in Terminal 1 (altho I do not know which terminal we will be at) I can buy single tram tickets. I want to get tix to take tram #7 to the Senaatintori (Senate Sq) and walk over to Kauppatori (Market Sq). I want to know if it's possible to buy roundtrip single tix or 2 tix (one for each way) at the same time for each person?

I know there is a day pass for €9 pp but we are only going out and coming back - single tix are €2.50 pp. That would be only

€5 pp.

We are spending the day at Suomenlinna, using the water bus because I like their route better than the city ferry route.

The Helsinki public transport (HST) has sadly made it more troublesome for tourists.

This year it is not possible to buy tickets from the tram driver anymore (bus drivers will still sell single tickets)

From the cruise ship in West Harbour (quay LMA) there is a bit of walking but once you reached the tram tracks you'l see Terminal 1 to the left and Terminal 2 to the right, both about equal long way to walk to. Terminal 1 is the one closer to the city. The tram stops outside the terminals have ticket machines that take credit cards (Visa and Master Card, I assume only with chip) or Euro coins, NOT notes.

You can select Finnish/Swedish/English and then at top left corner of screen select tram tickets (2.50 E) and you'll be asked how many.

The tickets will be valuated as you buy them so sadly you cannot buy tickets for the return trip. In city there are similar machines at the Suomenlinna ferry terminal or at the subway station under the railway station. (2 floors down).

You can buy return tickets that can be validated later at the Suomenlinna ferry pier at the Market Square.

https://www.hsl.fi/en/news/2018/hsl-ticket-office-market-square-ferry-terminal-open-30-april-15044

Other places are R-kiosks arond town or the HST service point one floor under the railway station at the subway entrance (next to the flower shop)

I hope you aware that if you buy the 9 E day ticket then the Suomenlinna ferry (but not the water bus) is included.

https://www.hsl.fi/en/tickets-and-fares/sales-points

Edited by Ultima Thule

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ultima Thule, as I am visiting Helsinki for the first time and would like to purchase the day pass, won't you be able to buy from the bus drivers? On their website it still state you can buy from them, I just want to be sure as I will be traveling with kids, thank you for any info

Sadly, no! Not LMA . Quays LHB and LHC on the other side of the bay had bus 14 but Melkki has only trams. :(

Consider using a shuttle bus into town. There should be a shuttle service for most cruise ships at LMA.

http://www.portofhelsinki.fi/sites/default/files/images/Risteilylaiturit%202018.png

On the following map bus routes are blue, tram routes green, "N" indicates night.

https://www.hsl.fi/sites/default/files/uploads/linjakartta_helsinki_kantakaupunki_web.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Bus 8X is a replacement for tram 8 until 31 August 2018 because of track repairs. Its stop is about half a kilometer from the quay LMA. I have never walked that route myself but it should be walkable even if the southern part of the West Harbour peninsula (Jätkäsaari) at the moment a huge construction place..

At the end of the bay from quay LMA to the right there are the tram tracks some 200 meters away and then its a bit further either to the left or to the right to a tram stop in front of each of the car ferry terminals T1 & T2. At both stops there are two machines and the bigger one give day tickets accepting both credit cards and coins (but not notes). Tram 6T takes you to the main railway station while tram 7 takes you four blocks further to the Senate Square next to the Market Square.

At the end of the bay from quay LMA to the left there is a tram stop about half a kilometer away but you'll have to go through a building site. The stop is for tram 9 that will take you till the main railway station and also for 8 but until 31 August 2018 tram 8 is

replaced by bus 8X due to track repairs.

I assume there is a ticket machine there as well (I haven't been there) If you take bus 8X you'll be able to buy tickets (including one day tickets) from the driver. However line 8x is not taking you to downtown so you'll have to change to another tram or change to the subway that will take you to the railway station.

Here is a map of the tram lines with "M" for the subway. Quay LMA is near the bottom at the map and the ship stops about where it says "Västra" on the map.

https://www.hsl.fi/sites/default/files/uploads/ratikka_openstreet_810x1210_14052018_0.pdf

Hope it helps a bit.

Edited by Ultima Thule

I recall walking from the Rock Church back to the cruise terminal. I was MUCH YOUNGER then, and I do not recall how we got TO the Church. Plan on visiting again - what is best way to get there? That walk back (or maybe it was To?) was so much fun - we walked through a park, and I believe it was by a Sibelius monument that we encountered a large group from Israel singing folk songs. We joined the group for a bit before finishing our trek back to the ship. Is Uber a good option in Helsinki?

Is Uber a good option in Helsinki?

At the moment Uber is not available in Helsinki

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/07/uberpop_is_finnished_in_helsinki_until_2018/

However in July there will be a new taxi law, similar to the one in Sweden, so the prizes will be totally open and almost anyone can apply for a taxi licence.. No one knows what will happen but expect a total "wild west" where some taxis will take advantage of tourists. So beware! "Taxi Helsinki" should be a reputable company.

At the moment Uber is not available in Helsinki

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/07/uberpop_is_finnished_in_helsinki_until_2018/

However in July there will be a new taxi law, similar to the one in Sweden, so the prizes will be totally open and almost anyone can apply for a taxi licence.. No one knows what will happen but expect a total "wild west" where some taxis will take advantage of tourists. So beware! "Taxi Helsinki" should be a reputable company.

THank you. Uber's website does not know that they are not available there. :-)

We will be there in June.

Can I get Taxi Helsinki to or from Rock Church or do I have to reserve in advance?