Choosing between these 2 ballets

Hi everyone,

I'm travelling to St Petersburg in August and would love to see the ballet. I know that the best ballet companies are on holidays at this time, which is a bit upsetting, but I have these other choices. Does anyone have any experience and know which choice would be preferable?

1) Yacobsons Ballet at the Mariinsky

2) St Petersburg Tchaikovsky Ballet at the Alexandrinsky

Thank you!

What a shame that the Marinsky (formerly Kirov) Ballet is not performing at the Marinsky Theatre.

IMO the Marinsky theatre is probably the preeminent ballet theatre in the world and I would never pass up the opportunity to see a performance there. Both those ballet companies are solid, but are not world class. I’d pick based on the theatre but that’s just me.

Throughout Europe the best orchestras and dance companies are usually on “vacation” in July and August which kind of sucks for us tourists.

But Russian Ballet is wonderful and I’m sure you’ll enjoy either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your replies everyone!

Both theatres look beautiful but I am leaning towards the Yacobsons Ballet. I've been trying to research it and it seems that it is the least "touristy" out of the touristy ballet companies. Although to be honest I can find very little about the Tchaikovsky Ballet.

I don't have a visa so if I want to go to the Mariinsky I would have to buy transfers with my tour company. If I decide to go to the Alexandrinsky my tour company can buy tickets for me. I just wouldn't get a say in where my seats are. I think price will be similar either way. (It will just feel strange paying more for the transfer than the tickets, which are quite reasonably priced by Australian standards!)