Hamburg Port to Lubeck

Will be in Hamburg port from 7AM to 7PM. Want to travel to Lubeck and spend as much time there as possible. Planning on taking taxi to train station in Hamburg. It seems there are many trains that travel there ....will there be an information desk where I could assistance in purchasing tickets, quickest and least expensive? My understanding trip is about 48 minutes with trains running about every hour? What is the most comfortable time you would plan return train to get back to the cruise ship in time. I have read some posts saying German trains can be very late and often delayed. Any help or tips would be great! I have searched and read many posts on board about Lubeck from Hamburg but still feel I could use some practical advice and reassurance from those who have done this. I often use public transportation in Med ports. Looking for any help or tips.

I lived in Germany for many years and late/delayed trains were never a thing I encountered. We took the train from our port stop in Kiel to Luebeck on our Baltic cruise and everything worked like clockwork. I don’t think you have to worry about the trains—just choose one that gets you back to Hamburg by 6pm and you won’t miss the ship.

I lived in Germany for many years and late/delayed trains were never a thing I encountered. We took the train from our port stop in Kiel to Luebeck on our Baltic cruise and everything worked like clockwork. I don’t think you have to worry about the trains—just choose one that gets you back to Hamburg by 6pm and you won’t miss the ship.

Thank you, any special places or activities you would recommend for Luebeck?

see your other post .....

trains from ALTONA station about every 30 minutes. My experience with trains in/out of Hamburg was I could set me watch by them!

You can buy tickets on line in advance and not worry about the lines - your only problem then will be navigating the station itself which is large ....

Altona station is about .6 miles from the cruise pier

you can find all this geography via google earth

see your other post .....

trains from ALTONA station about every 30 minutes. My experience with trains in/out of Hamburg was I could set me watch by them!

You can buy tickets on line in advance and not worry about the lines - your only problem then will be navigating the station itself which is large ....

Altona station is about .6 miles from the cruise pier

you can find all this geography via google earth

Thank you Capt! I thought the Berlin station might be very busy and large, so in addition to buying tickets at station and size of station is going to eat up precious time....so you suggest purchase ahead. We will take a cab from pier directly to train station

• 3 weeks later...

DB Navigator app is very helpful in planning. Just go to http://www.bahn.com and buy your tickets now. You can print in advance or download to the app. I did this for our ICE connection from Berlin to Hamburg a couple of days before embarkation. Prices are cheaper in advance also.