Iceland - questions answered

Thank you so much for the info. I am currently agonizing over whether we should just book a rental car & go ourselves, or book a private tour, we enjoy hiking & I worry that on a guided tour there won't be enough free time to hike up to waterfalls, etc. First world problems, right? ;)

I vote for the rental car. We did that and it worked out great. Very easy driving, and as another posted said, we could stay in one place as long as we wished and just adjusted our day as we went. Weather will play a big part in how long you may want to visit one area....with a car, it's your choice.

Hi,

We are stopping in Iceland on our way to Copenhagen for a cruise. We will be arriving on a Monday at 6 am and leaving Wednesday around 3:00. We are looking for ways to get from the airport to our AirBNB near the hotels in Reykjavik and back on Wednesday. Also looking to do any tours we can. Definitely a full day tour on Tuesday (including Golden Circle, not as concerned with the Blue Lagoon). Can anyone recommend some reasonable forms of transportation as well as a tour company. The taxi rates I looked up were very expensive to/from the Airport.

We visited for a few hours via cruise ship in 2014. It's isolated and there isn't much time to get anywhere else. Just walk around the town. There is a maritime museum IIRC (didn't go). There is about a mile walk to the end of the fiord for the views, and a stream with waterfalls a little inland (opposite direction from the end of the fiord). Both are worth walking to. I posted some pics and a description of the town in my August 2014 trip report (link in my signature).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

There are a couple of bus services that run constantly from the airport to the city. We take the Flybus Plus, as the basic services take you to the bus terminal in Reykjavik, but the "Plus" takes you right to or near your hotel or other lodging in the city.

Lots of good tour companies in Iceland. We liked Icelandhorizon, but there are many others.

Hi,

We are stopping in Iceland on our way to Copenhagen for a cruise. We will be arriving on a Monday at 6 am and leaving Wednesday around 3:00. We are looking for ways to get from the airport to our AirBNB near the hotels in Reykjavik and back on Wednesday. Also looking to do any tours we can. Definitely a full day tour on Tuesday (including Golden Circle, not as concerned with the Blue Lagoon). Can anyone recommend some reasonable forms of transportation as well as a tour company. The taxi rates I looked up were very expensive to/from the Airport.

Car rental?

The Flybus is reasonable and reliable to get to/from the airport. It brings you to the main bus station in Rey, then you could taxi from there. Flybus Plus includes a transfer from the bus station to a variety of hotels. You could check to see if there is one near your bnb. You sign up online and they email you a QR code they scan when you get on the bus. Easy peasy.

There are so many tours. Decide if you want cheaper, on a big bus with 50 people, or more expensive in a smaller vehicle. GreyLine does the big bus ones. Arctic Adventure/Extreme Iceland and Goecco are some of the smaller vehicles. There are others that are also good. A TripAdvisor search would be helpful.

Consider a Monday afternoon Golden Circle tour and a south coast tour Tuesday. You could do the Blue Lagoon Wednesday am to say you did it. It is a bit touristy, but still fun, and not something you can do at home.

We will be on a cruise next year that spends several days in Iceland. I have not read all 40 pages of this thread so some of my questions may have been covered. I have been to Reykjavik before and so I am familiar with thatarea. I have also read on this thread thatwe will be able to rent a car in Akureyri, which is our preferred method of touringin cruise ports of call. Can you tell meif there are car rentals in Isafjordur and, if so, will there betaxis available at the cruise port

One of the few places in Iceland that we haven't visited. Always wanted to go but that area is really remote!

Europcar has an office in town, which appears to be within walking distance (1/2 km or less) from any of the piers. It is a tiny place. I doubt that you'd need a taxi. I'd just worry that they will run out of cars!

Here is a map of the port: http://www.cruiseiceland.com/harbor/isafjordur/

And Europcar's website, where you can find the location of the office in Isafjordur: https://www.europcar.is/locations

Glad you're planning ahead. Europcar is my go-to agency in Iceland - they have a very convenient location in Akureyri too. Isafjordur is just so remote! It looks close, but all the roads are so winding that it's almost a 300km drive from the ring road!

We are two couples, our first time in Iceland, and I am torn about what to do while in port in Akureyri. I'm torn because I can trace my Icelandic roots back to 1685 to an area about 60 km or 55 minutes from Akureyri. It's the Ólafsfjörðuri area. I would love to stand on the same ground of my ancestors but at the same time I don't want to miss the typical tour of Lake Mývatn, waterfall Goðafoss, Dimmuborgir, Námaskarð and possibly Jarðböðin. Since we are only stopping in Akureyri from 7:30 AM to 4 PM in August, I don't feel we can risk doing both and I would feel guilty for the other three with me to have to go on my quest which is in a different direction not knowing what we will find. Has anyone been to the Ólafsfjörður area and if so, can it possibly be near something to match the splendor of the usual top tour mentioned above? Were we spending the night, there is no doubt that I would rent a car and do both but, alas,we're not.

Glynda

Glynda, I have had excellent results (twice) working with Taxi No. 17 in Akureyri. It is a small family owned taxi-tour company that can do custom excursions. Just describe what you are looking for and let them give you a quote. Fair warning, they are not the least expensive but then nothing is in Iceland. Marshall

Miss Puppy:

It depends on how many people are on your ship, which port you're talking about, what time you dock, and what tour.

In Reykjavik you can likely walk off and get on a whale watch or Golden Circle Big Bus tour, most likely. Anything more "different" or in a smaller port and you will risk having zero options.

We are going to stop in Reykjavik on our way home from Copenhagen after our cruise. Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel? Any help would be appreciated. This will be the end of May 2019.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've stayed twice at the Reykjavik Residence Hotel. It's a block off the main road, no bars around, so quiet, but an easy walk to anywhere downtown. They have an amazing breakfast delivered to your room if you wish - fresh bread, fruits, hard boiled egg, meat, cheese, yogurt. Enough for breakfast and a light lunch.

I've stayed twice at the Reykjavik Residence Hotel. It's a block off the main road, no bars around, so quiet, but an easy walk to anywhere downtown. They have an amazing breakfast delivered to your room if you wish - fresh bread, fruits, hard boiled egg, meat, cheese, yogurt. Enough for breakfast and a light lunch.

We stayed there also last summer on our second Icelandair stopover from Hamburg to Toronto. The kitchenette was already partially stocked. We fixed breakfast and lunch there and had a place to wait out intermittent rain. Bought flybus tickets to airport online. Pickup was across the street.

On the first stopover from Montreal to Hamburg, we stayed at the Aurora Star Hotel right next to Keflavik airport, rented a car, drove past Blue Lagoon and Grindavik along south coast first afternoon. Second day drove Golden circle. Turned car in and walked to terminal next morning.

I vote for the rental car. We did that and it worked out great. Very easy driving, and as another posted said, we could stay in one place as long as we wished and just adjusted our day as we went. Weather will play a big part in how long you may want to visit one area....with a car, it's your choice.

Anita - did you just the car for the day or were you in Akureyri for multiple days?

Just an FYI. On June 2, 2018 we docked in Akureyri on the Celebrity Eclipse. The Norwegian Jade was also in port that day. By 11 am, all taxis were committed and unavailable. We couldn't find a taxi near the port so we walked to the BSO taxi station (in really windy conditions) and were told all taxis were out. Since we had booked an independent flight tour to Grimsey Island (which was eventually cancelled due to high winds,) we were in a huge pickle to get to the airport. Luckily, the dispatcher at BSO actually handed her keys to a friend and had him drive us to the airport (thank you so much & super kudos for helping us!!!)

Once it was determined our flight was cancelled, we called BSO for a cab from the airport back to the pier. We were told (again) all taxis were committed on other tours and they had no idea when we would get a taxi. We lucked out and the tour driver from the cruise line allowed us transport back to the ship.

Bottom line ... Akureyri does NOT have the taxis to support one cruise ship, much less two, in port. We were very disappointed with transport options independently at this port. Get another taxi service!!!

Just an FYI. On June 2, 2018 we docked in Akureyri on the Celebrity Eclipse. The Norwegian Jade was also in port that day. By 11 am, all taxis were committed and unavailable. We couldn't find a taxi near the port so we walked to the BSO taxi station (in really windy conditions) and were told all taxis were out. Since we had booked an independent flight tour to Grimsey Island (which was eventually cancelled due to high winds,) we were in a huge pickle to get to the airport. Luckily, the dispatcher at BSO actually handed her keys to a friend and had him drive us to the airport (thank you so much & super kudos for helping us!!!)

Once it was determined our flight was cancelled, we called BSO for a cab from the airport back to the pier. We were told (again) all taxis were committed on other tours and they had no idea when we would get a taxi. We lucked out and the tour driver from the cruise line allowed us transport back to the ship.

Bottom line ... Akureyri does NOT have the taxis to support one cruise ship, much less two, in port. We were very disappointed with transport options independently at this port. Get another taxi service!!!

We were also on the Eclipse with you...So glad we booked a private tour with Traveling Vikings for our Akureyri port stop....Amazing day, we saw so much with our wonderful guide...in particular the Game of Thrones locations.

• 3 weeks later...

I am cruising into Reykjavik on 1 and 2 September. Arrive 8am.

On 2 September I am snorkeling in Silfa. All booked and paid.

On 1 September, my friend and I have a private taxi tour for 1 to 4 people for 5 hours to Reykjankes area. (my not to be missed Bridge Between the Continents area) leaving at 10 am. At the moment we haven't been able to connect up with another couple to share the cost so I am thinking of (free) canceling.

So I need a plan B for the 1st. We have all day

Can we catch a public bus to the International airport, then catch a taxi from the Airport to the bridge area? How doable and cost effective is that? We are also aware the Light festival is on that weekend. If we go later in the afternoon, is this the area to see the lights? Could we combine these? Are there tours to the light show?

Does anyone know of a tour to this area that leaves later than Port pickup 8:30 to 9am. All the ones I have seen do not have favorable missed pickup policies and we can not guarantee the cruise ship will be on time for us to meet the early pickup.

We could make our way to the airport if there is a tour from there.

I know there is the hire a car but I am not prepared to drive on the other side of the road.

Many thanks for the advise on this interesting thread.

Are you British? Iceland drives on the same side as the US. I can’t tell from your sig.

Try the TripAdvisor forum for Iceland. I suspect you may find more specific answers there, particularly regarding the festival.

Are you British? Iceland drives on the same side as the US. I can’t tell from your sig.

Try the TripAdvisor forum for Iceland. I suspect you may find more specific answers there, particularly regarding the festival.

Thanks for the reply. No from New Zealand so a long way from home.