Wonderful Copenhagen 2018 edition.

Bella Sky and Park Inn are around 10-15 minutes away from the city center with metro so its not so bad.

But Webers is located on Vesterbrogade and Mayfair is located very close to Vesterbrogade on Helgolandsgade.

So if you just avoid Istedgade and walk to your hotel via Vesterbrogade you will never see anything.

All the funny shops are located in and around Istedgade.

Thanks so much. I don't mind the shops, etc. but wanted to make sure it was a safe area. I appreciate your time to reply ! Looking forward to our visit.

I didn't find the time last weekend to experience the rush hour at Oceankaj but this article mentions that there is no problem this year.

The article is in Danish but just translate it.

https://standby.dk/for-mange-taxaer-i-koebenhavns-havn/

Interesting reading. I do believe Oceankaj works as a turn-a-round terminal, mostly arrival and departure passengers will use taxis. For day visits that is not the case as a lot of visitors DIY on public transport, I do think if they continue to have more and more day visiting ships there will be issues ongoing. Imagine terminals 1, 2 and 3 all day visitors wanting buses into Copenhagen.

I'm also excited to see what happens when the larger terminal 4 opens in 2020, it will be larger and better equiped to handle the +4000 passenger cruise ships.

When that happens there will be road access from both ends of Oceankaj.

They will have to enter/exit the harbour as today but with 2 road leading into Oceankaj then the traffic should flow better.

It also looks as like there is room to expand Kalkbrænderihavnsvej from 2 to 4 lanes until the Nordhavn tunnel opens around 2024.

Now I'm just speculating but if they put 2 busses in service from 2020 when the Orientkaj metro station opens they could run a dedicated shuttle between the station and Oceankaj in a 8-10 minute interval.

Danish Viking,

We will be staying near the Forum metro stop. Would you be able to tell me how we can get there from the airport and then to Oceankaj from there? Does it make sense for us to buy a two-day travel card (can't recall what it's called)?

Danish Viking,

We will be staying near the Forum metro stop. Would you be able to tell me how we can get there from the airport and then to Oceankaj from there? Does it make sense for us to buy a two-day travel card (can't recall what it's called)?

From the airport it is easy. You just take the metro from the airport and get off at Forum station. The metro ride takes 17 minutes and a single ticket (3 zones) costs 36 DKK.

To Oceankaj, you can take the metro towards the airport and get off at Nørreport station to connect to bus 25. Single ticket (2 zones) costs 24 DKK.

It takes around 15-20 minutes to walk from forum station to the city centre, so if you are able-bodied you might not need public transport during your stay in the city.

There is a 48 hour citypass which costs 150 DKK. It covers all public transport in the centre (including going to the airport and the cruise ship terminal). It doesn't include excursions to, say, Roskilde or Frederiksborg castle.

Additionally there is the Copenhagen card, which costs 575 DK for 48 hours. Besides public transport it includes entrance to most attractions (museums, tivoli, canal tour etc). You need to visit quite a few attractions for it to be worth the money. The Copenhagen Card works in the entire Copenhagen Region, so including Roskilde, Frederiksborg castle (Hillerød) or Kronborg castle (Helsingør)

I have friends who need to drive to Copenhagen prior to the cruise and will have 3 days pre cruise and then 9 days on the cruise to park. I think they will park at the port during the cruise but would it be possible to park earlier then the cruise ?

If that’s not an option, would you be able to suggest an affordable safe parking spot for the 12 days ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Danish Viking,

My husband and I loved your day trip suggestion in post #225 about visiting both Frederiksborg Palace and Kronborg Castle in one day. Would that be possible (train-wise) on a Sunday? If so, what would be the train times? We are looking at Sunday, August 12, 2018.

Many thanks for all of your help!

From the airport it is easy. You just take the metro from the airport and get off at Forum station. The metro ride takes 17 minutes and a single ticket (3 zones) costs 36 DKK.

To Oceankaj, you can take the metro towards the airport and get off at Nørreport station to connect to bus 25. Single ticket (2 zones) costs 24 DKK.

It takes around 15-20 minutes to walk from forum station to the city centre, so if you are able-bodied you might not need public transport during your stay in the city.

There is a 48 hour citypass which costs 150 DKK. It covers all public transport in the centre (including going to the airport and the cruise ship terminal). It doesn't include excursions to, say, Roskilde or Frederiksborg castle.

Additionally there is the Copenhagen card, which costs 575 DK for 48 hours. Besides public transport it includes entrance to most attractions (museums, tivoli, canal tour etc). You need to visit quite a few attractions for it to be worth the money. The Copenhagen Card works in the entire Copenhagen Region, so including Roskilde, Frederiksborg castle (Hillerød) or Kronborg castle (Helsingør)

Thank you Frederik, this is very helpful.

We are staying at Ibsens and will have 2 full days in copenhagen. I am looking at ways of getting Ocenkaj in the morning when we’ll need to get there by noon. I read about bus 26, but can’t figure out from that map if I goes near ibsens. Since we would have all our luggage wondering what the easiest way to reach the port is, is the bus simple from Ibsens?

EDITED TO,ADD: I looked at Viking’s helpful guide on the 1st page. Looks like actually we’d get the bus #25 easily from osterport to oceankaj, and the station would be a short walk from Ibsens, is that correct?

Edited by KittyloverCA

Hi Danish Viking,

My husband and I loved your day trip suggestion in post #225 about visiting both Frederiksborg Palace and Kronborg Castle in one day. Would that be possible (train-wise) on a Sunday? If so, what would be the train times? We are looking at Sunday, August 12, 2018.

Many thanks for all of your help!

Yes it is but there are a few changes.

Its a weekend so its S-train line B instead of E, only different is that it stops at all stations but it will only add 5 minutes to the trip.

The travel time will then be 47 minutes.

The Lokalbanen train to Helsingør only departs once each hour from Hillerød, so you probably want to catch it at 12:55 in order to optimize your time in Helsingør.

Travel time is 27 minutes.

Now the bad thing comes.

There is track works on the rail line between Helsingør and Copenhagen.

But luckily there is a non stop bus from Helsingør to Ryparken S-train station.

From here you catch line A towards Køge and then finally get off at the central station.

Travel time is 59 minutes including the change from bus to train at Ryparken.

Its on the free way for most of the trip so its rather quick.

Edited by Danish viking

We are staying at Ibsens and will have 2 full days in copenhagen. I am looking at ways of getting Ocenkaj in the morning when we’ll need to get there by noon. I read about bus 26, but can’t figure out from that map if I goes near ibsens. Since we would have all our luggage wondering what the easiest way to reach the port is, is the bus simple from Ibsens?

EDITED TO,ADD: I looked at Viking’s helpful guide on the 1st page. Looks like actually we’d get the bus #25 easily from osterport to oceankaj, and the station would be a short walk from Ibsens, is that correct?

Its Nørreport that is in walking distance from the hotel.

But its still bus 25, just use my guide from page 7.

I have friends who need to drive to Copenhagen prior to the cruise and will have 3 days pre cruise and then 9 days on the cruise to park. I think they will park at the port during the cruise but would it be possible to park earlier then the cruise ?

If that’s not an option, would you be able to suggest an affordable safe parking spot for the 12 days ?

There is a parking lot next to terminal 1 at Oceankaj.

There is a parking lot next to terminal 1 at Oceankaj.

Thank you so much... do you know if we would be allowed to park 3 days prior to the cruise or is it only open when there is a cruise ship in for embarkation ?

We will be in Copenhagen the end of August for 2 days

Prior to our cruise.

We are staying at Hotel Bethel and friends are staying

At Wake Up Borgergade.

We plan on meeting for dinner then on to Tivoli Gardens.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for restaurant along the way that would be convenient.

Is Groften worth the extra cost for the location?

I’ve read it’s alittle pricey.

Thanks

Christine

If we would like to take a taxi from our hotel (near Tivoli) to Oceankaj the morning our cruise departs is this something we should arrange for ahead of time? Or are taxis plentiful enough that it won't be hard to get one that morning?

If we would like to take a taxi from our hotel (near Tivoli) to Oceankaj the morning our cruise departs is this something we should arrange for ahead of time? Or are taxis plentiful enough that it won't be hard to get one that morning?

The hotel will call a taxi for you. You will be fine.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for restaurant along the way that would be convenient.

What kind of food are you looking for?

I would only go to Grøften if you are looking for something Danish in the traditional way.

There are a lot of other good restaurants in the centre.

Thank you so much... do you know if we would be allowed to park 3 days prior to the cruise or is it only open when there is a cruise ship in for embarkation ?

I don't know for sure, but I am almost certain that the parking lot is just self-service where you pay the ticket for your desired number of days. I shouldn't matter what your cruise itinerary is.

What kind of food are you looking for?

I would only go to Grøften if you are looking for something Danish in the traditional way.

There are a lot of other good restaurants in the centre.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be Danish, a nice mix would be nice.

Was just wondering if anyone knew of anything outside

Tivoli for a nice dinner beforehand.

Thanks for your response

Yes it is but there are a few changes.

Its a weekend so its S-train line B instead of E, only different is that it stops at all stations but it will only add 5 minutes to the trip.

The travel time will then be 47 minutes.

The Lokalbanen train to Helsingør only departs once each hour from Hillerød, so you probably want to catch it at 12:55 in order to optimize your time in Helsingør.

Travel time is 27 minutes.

Now the bad thing comes.

There is track works on the rail line between Helsingør and Copenhagen.

But luckily there is a non stop bus from Helsingør to Ryparken S-train station.

From here you catch line A towards Køge and then finally get off at the central station.

Travel time is 59 minutes including the change from bus to train at Ryparken.

Its on the free way for most of the trip so its rather quick.

Thanks so much for all of your helpful information. We've been planning to do this too. Do you know how long the track work is supposed to last? This is our plan for a Friday in about 8 weeks.

Doesn’t necessarily have to be Danish, a nice mix would be nice.

Was just wondering if anyone knew of anything outside

Tivoli for a nice dinner beforehand.

Thanks for your response

For 'new Nordic' food (nothing weird), you can head to Høst or Vækst. A three course menu will cost around 300-350 DKK (this would be the normal range of a medium-priced restaurant in Copenhagen). These two restaurants are run by the cofoco chain which has a lot of restaurants in the same price range. There are also italian, french etc. Usually the restaurants have a very limited menu but the food is generally very good.