Status of Russia port of call

Hi,

Does anyone know how the removal of the diplomats will impact St. Petersburg port of call. I heard if there are no consulates there it will impact the cruise passengers and the economy of Russia. Meaning that the cruise ships will not go there, and this will put a strain on Russisa's economy. Does anyone have any insight on this? I was so looking forward to going. I hope this gets all straigtened out before any of us leave.

Thank you

ML

Hi all:

This is the same concern that I now have - I am booked for a cruise next year (post-retirement), but I am wondering if I need to plan something else instead. As far as modern cruise times goes, I do know that the Lines will remove a port stop for safety/political reasons, but St. Petersburg is the main highlight multi-day stop for most Baltic cruises. IDK.

- jdk

The current political squabbling between Russian and other western powers can impact US travelers headed to Russia. However, it is too early to tell what that impact might be.

Those of us that are looking at a Baltic cruise 9 months or more in the future have a little more flexibility than those who have already made final payment.

We can speculate all we want but it is literally to early to know how current events and the closing of the US Consulate in St. Pete will affect cruise ship passengers in that city .

Hi All,

I have to make a decision in a few days on whether to pay in full for the Aug 8th sailing of the Azamara Club cruise for 3 nights is St. Petersburg among other ports. As an American, I am very worried about the escalation of bad relations between the US and Europe as to Russia. The closing of the US Consulate in St. Petersburg is very troubling. Here are some specific questions:

1. Will cruise lines dock in St Petersburg?

2. What measures can be reasonably anticipated that cruise lines will implement to protect its passengers?

3. If the cruise lines dock, are US, British & others safer with the Cruise-sponsored sightseeing tours of St. Petersburg safer than the private operators like Alla, TJ, etc.? If so, how?

I am a very well seasoned and independent traveler, willing to assume some risk. But the Cold War-Soviet tactics that Putin is pursuing are unnerving. We just wanted to have a wonderful trip to a city high on our bucket list. Your knowledge and insights are very much appreciated!

We too have out final payment coming up and this is unsettling not knowing if the cruise will be going to Russia. It is why we booked this cruise and I wouldn't want an additional 2 sea days added to the itinerary. Our airfare is also booked and paid for with the cruise line. Hopefully we will know more before final payment is due.

I imagine they’ll just go to a different port. At least isn’t that what happened with cruises set to overnight in Istanbul last summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They might change the port, add an overnight or add a sea day. We are past our final payment.

I think it's a valid concern, but with no real way of knowing the actual impact at this point.

That said, I'll admit SPB was my least favorite port on our Baltic cruise. Perhaps due to underlying political assumptions, perhaps because I'd been to Vladivostok with the military, so the essential Russian-ness was not new. Who knows?

I'd gladly do the Baltic again, even without SPB. I think to skip the entire area because of possibly missing SPB would be a mistake. The other countries and ports are vibrant, fascinating cultures. Tallinn and Stockholm were our favorite, and our 2 day stopover in Iceland on the way there was bad for my pocketbook, since I am now completely in love with Iceland and am planning trip number 3. Dh says I should just buy a retirement home there and call it a day.

But the Cold War-Soviet tactics that Putin is pursuing are unnerving.

Hi,

Cold War tactics are being pursued on both sides of the pond: the closure of St.Petersburg consulate is a tit-for-tat for closure of the Russian one in Seattle. Unnerving it definitely is, though.

1. Will cruise lines dock in St Petersburg?

2. What measures can be reasonably anticipated that cruise lines will implement to protect its passengers?

3. If the cruise lines dock, are US, British & others safer with the Cruise-sponsored sightseeing tours of St. Petersburg safer than the private operators like Alla, etc?

1. No one can tell you with 100% certainty, but most likely yes. It's up to individual cruise lines.

2. Reasonably, none. Presence of consulate or lack thereof shouldn't have a direct impact on cruiselines' safety protocol. That said, having a consulate is handy when it comes to replacing a lost or stolen passport, for instance.

3. Emphatically, no. Cruise-sponsored sightseeing tours are subcontracted to local operators anyway. Safety-wise, there should be no perceptible difference.

We had the same discussion a few years ago when Russia invaded Crimea.

The conclusion was that nothing happened with tourists being denied access to Russia etc.

I'm no expert but I'm guessing its the same this time around, also with the World Cup around I'll imagine Putin don't want to risk anything.

I'm no expert but I'm guessing its the same this time around, also with the World Cup around I'll imagine Putin don't want to risk anything.

Good point about the World Cup. Putin will need to let all of the diplomats/embassies back from all of the other UK countries, otherwise I doubt there would be a World Cup. Not having tourists for this event certainly would impact the Russian economy. So this most likely will blow over before we leave.

ML

Honestly - I would not worry. I spent probably 10 days in the Soviet Union (in the 80's) as a tourist and had no problems. There was some tension between the US and the Soviet Union when I was there and the tourist sites were just that. Things are better now... I returned later under "Russia".

They want to look really good for the World Cup. They are even waiving visas for people attending the World Cup. Things will be fine.

I hope the cruises won't be affected, as we all loved St. Petersburg (not the government, just the city). We took our Baltic cruise at the height of the conflict 4 years ago, and aside from Russian customs being a nightmare (which I'm guessing it always is) you couldn't tell that you were in the middle of a political situation.

If it does get cancelled, I do hope they give you 2 days in Stockholm, as that's also a gorgeous city, with lots to see and very deserving of an overnight visit. Not sure they have enough docking space for all the ships, but maybe the ships can drop you off in Stockholm so you can see the archipelago and then go to Nynashamn overnight?

We are due to sail in 36 days and i’m tracking Foreign Office advice which i’m sure Celebrity are also doing.

We were in SPB 6 years ago and had a truly wonderful experience, if we missed it this time it would be extremely disappointing as it’s the jewel in the crown of a Baltic cruise imo.

FG

Post Russia invasion and annexation of Crimea the EU directed several actions, to include cessation of cruise ship calls in Russian held Crimean ports. That edict was reissued in 2017. The same could happen for the Baltic depending on how Putin escalates "reciprocal" actions. Remember, this started because Putin ordered the execution of two people on British soil.

I'm concerned as well, SPB was the ONLY reason we booked this tour. I'm guessing if they nix SPB they won't allow you to cancel.

I think final pmt is sometime in April, didn't really pay to much mind as I paid back in December when I booked.

That is two full days and one night they would have to fill, I don't want sea days for that long

I'm concerned as well, SPB was the ONLY reason we booked this tour. I'm guessing if they nix SPB they won't allow you to cancel.

I think final pmt is sometime in April, didn't really pay to much mind as I paid back in December when I booked.

That is two full days and one night they would have to fill, I don't want sea days for that long

The contract you have with the cruise line does not guarantee specific port visits, as we've all read/heard/experienced during hurricane season in the Caribbean.

We will be there in just a few weeks, and we are now wondering how this will play out. Ultimately, our safety should be the priority, and I expect the cruise lines will ensure that is the case. But if they DO end up cancelling the St Petersburg port, I'm curious as to what, if any, ports they would replace it with. We are schedule for two days there... and I'm not keen on an extra two sea days as the replacement. :(

Celine

As long as you are not one of the mentioned diplomats I think you are fine.

I am willing to bet a beer when you guys are in Copenhagen that your call at Sankt Petersburg won't be can cancelled (not talking about weather or similar). And here I'm only talking about the 2018 season, 2019 is so long out in the future that I'm not willing to bet on that.

Even though I think it's a bit of an overreaction for now, the cruiselines won't cancel just yet, unless it escalates to a worse situation, the stop is extremely profitable for the cruiselines. I wouldn't think for the regular traveller there will be much difference. Most of the Russian public don't really care about discussing political issues from the Kremlin or Whitehouse so I doubt you will experience any backlash from the general public.

The cruise won't just have Americans on board so the cruiselines won't just cancel a cruise because the American consulate is closed.

As far as tours go, I don't think it really makes a difference between ship tours and private tours.

With alternate ports, if it has to be cancelled, a lot of cruiselines have an overnight in Stockholm, but also there are nearby Baltic ports of Klaipeda (Lithuania), and Riga (Latvia) which can serve as an alternative.

The world cup is in Russia this summer. I would be surprised if some type of travel restrictions were imposed in the mist of this world spot light.

Th concern is not on travel restrictions by Russia. Its more on your personal safety and security, and even your ability to depart Russia afterwards. Russia/Soviet Union has a long history of detaining foreigners on "trumped up" charges based on innocuous local laws and practices. They have also employed gangs to "rough up" foreigners. You are on their turf, so to speak. Being a citizen of country "X" and its laws has no bering on your status in Russia. Your country's laws do not apply. There is only so much your embassy can do to assist.