Train station in Hamburg

there are 3 large train stations in Hamburg.

Hauptbanhof is the 'main station' but most ICE trains will terminate/originate at the Altona station .... between these is the Dammtor station.

When we took ICE from Regensberg on ICE EXPESS it stopped at all 3 of these stations, ending in Altona ....

so question is 'which one'?

a quick look at DB BAHN found trains from Altona to Luebeck about every 30 minutes ..... the Altona station is about .6 miles north of the Altona pier .... walk or taxi seems reasonable

http://www.hvv.de/en/index.php

enter ALTONA and LUBECK and search .... TA DA!

Edited by Capt_BJ

Your information was spot on and worked perfectly! I followed your link and yes indeed the times came up. Perfecto! Please help me with baby steps as a newbie to Germany.....go to the Altona station and take an ICE train....is this a regional train? Trains run almost every half hour. It will stop along the way but I will not have to change trains and I will then arrive in Luebeck about 50+ minutes later and the fare one way is approx 14 Euro?

Questions 1. Is DB BAHN one particular train line? 2. I prefer to purchase ticket that day....bad idea? 3. Will station have a help desk if I get confused. I have very successfully taken trains in Italy, Spain, France but I just feel a bit apprehensive about Hamburg so I am very appreciative of your help and guidance.

if you've done trains in other EU countries I doubt you'll have issues in Germany ...... you know how to read the schedules posted in the stations. As first timers we were happy to have done a dry run the day b4!!!!!

But as you know, the EU rail system is VERY well done and run ..... when people talk about trains here in FL I roll my eyes!!!!

I'm trying to do the same, Altona to Lubeck on June 4. As I read the DB Bahn site, after the 10 min ride to Hamburg Hbf, we have just a 3 minute transfer time for the Lubeck train. That worries me. Is this feasible without reading signs in German, or are we 4 better off taking a 20 min taxi to Hamburg Hbf?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm looking at the schedule for June 4, and the times starting at about 8 am. I can't post pics anymore so I can't show you but:

You get on the train at Altona on track 2 and arrive at the Main Station (Hbf) on track 3 .... then you have 13 minutes transfer time to get to track 5, 6 or 7 depending on which train you are taking, which is very doable. You just need to go up to the main floor and find the right track to get to and go back down.

This is a pdf of the station layout. http://hamburger-hbf.de/wp-content/uploads/hamburg-hbf-karte.pdf

lageplan_hamburg_hbf.gif

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Here is the capture of the 8:11 train, as you can see the Umsteigzeit (transfer time) is 13 minutes, not 3.

YyNJBg.jpg

As you can see this train leaves Hbf from track 7 between platform points A-D (these are letters that hang from the ceiling so you know where the train will be stopping -- this must be a short train).

The trains run on 11 past and 41 past the hour, so you have your pick of times. The only thing that will change is the track number so make sure you know what it is before you leave.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Here is the capture of the 8:11 train, as you can see the Umsteigzeit (transfer time) is 13 minutes, not 3.

As you can see this train leaves Hbf from track 7 between platform points A-D (these are letters that hang from the ceiling so you know where the train will be stopping -- this must be a short train).

The trains run on 11 past and 41 past the hour, so you have your pick of times. The only thing that will change is the track number so make sure you know what it is before you leave.

Sauer-kraut, thanks so much for you wonderful details and help. I found similar times for ~9a.m. June 6 on the bahn.de site and will rely on that. The hvv.de site is what led me astray, showing a trip at 9:21 from Altona to Hamburg at 9:31 (S31) and departure to Lubeck at 9:34 (RE80). I'll stick with bahn.de and your instructions! thanks again.

Thank you for very specific instructions, I am the OP and assumed I would NOT have to switch trains at Hamburg. With NO German at all, I am thinking to just take taxi to train station Hamburg rather than Altona with direct service to Luebeck. I’ve gone to website but have trouble even navigating that🤪 .Looking for relatively inexpensive direct train to Luebeck on Sept 13 in morning. I guess I could manage train switch but getting me nervous. Appreciate your help.

Thank you for very specific instructions, I am the OP and assumed I would NOT have to switch trains at Hamburg. With NO German at all, I am thinking to just take taxi to train station Hamburg rather than Altona with direct service to Luebeck. I’ve gone to website but have trouble even navigating that🤪 .Looking for relatively inexpensive direct train to Luebeck on Sept 13 in morning. I guess I could manage train switch but getting me nervous. Appreciate your help.

Well, this might help its the DB website in English. https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml

If you want to give me your dates, I can play with the times and find out the track numbers. There is always a chance they might change due to construction or something but at least you'll have something to go on. If you see a conductor on the platform they will be able to help you as most will speak English.

Sauer-kraut, can we expect to buy tix on the spot or should we prepurchase? After finding my preferred route/time, I don't see a button saying "purchase." Do I have to register under My Bahn to buy tix online?

Ritaly, I'll report back after our June 4 adventure!

Sauer-kraut, can we expect to buy tix on the spot or should we prepurchase? After finding my preferred route/time, I don't see a button saying "purchase." Do I have to register under My Bahn to buy tix online?

Ritaly, I'll report back after our June 4 adventure!

You can buy tickets for regional trains as well on the spot - there is no advantage in buying them beforehand. Price does not vary and they do not sell out. There are vending machines, which also "speak" english as well as staffed counters on the bigger stations (but allow some time, as there can be waiting lines).

Fare is 14,50 Euro one way, 27,80 Euro return for one pax. If travelling with 2 or more people, it will be the "Schleswig-Holstein-Ticket" at 29 Euro plus 3 Euro for additional travellers (Mo-Fr from 0900 hrs, weekend all day).

To buy tickets online you have to register beforehand with credit card or other means of payment.

Well, this might help its the DB website in English. https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml

If you want to give me your dates, I can play with the times and find out the track numbers. There is always a chance they might change due to construction or something but at least you'll have something to go on. If you see a conductor on the platform they will be able to help you as most will speak English.

Yes thank you Sauer-kraut, I need LOTS of help. I tried English, but there seem to be numerous Lubeck stations and not sure which Altona to select. To be specific, we are on Princess Royal arriving Hamburg Altona dock at 7:00 AM Sept 13 Based on possible delays, getting to train station any train around 9:00 seems a good time and return to same station around 3:30 or 4:00 at latest. Thank you so much for your assistance!

Yes thank you Sauer-kraut, I need LOTS of help. I tried English, but there seem to be numerous Lubeck stations and not sure which Altona to select. To be specific, we are on Princess Royal arriving Hamburg Altona dock at 7:00 AM Sept 13 Based on possible delays, getting to train station any train around 9:00 seems a good time and return to same station around 3:30 or 4:00 at latest. Thank you so much for your assistance!

I am not familiar with Luebeck, so I only looked at trains that left from the main station (Hbf) usually the main station is downtown in the city, but if you get a guide book it should tell which station for what you want to visit.

So...let's start! The explanation is UNDER the capture.

BT1Px4.jpg

The 9:11 from Altona leaves the S-bahn station on platform 2 (train number S-31) and arrives in Hbf on platform 3. You then have 13 minutes to get to platform 6 (between A-C) for the trip to Luebeck (train RE 80) with an arrival time of 10:20 am.

If you can't make this train the NEXT train will be:

GucKy0.jpg

Leaving Altona at 9:41 from track 2 (train S 31) and arrives on track 3 at the Hbf. You then have 13 minutes to get to Platform 5 for the 10:04 to Luebeck (train RE 8) which arrives at 10:48 am.

On the way back:

TQpaUV.jpg

This is an Inter-City train so it might cost a bit more, but it is a more comfortable train with a dining car. It will also be quite quick.

Leave Luebeck at 2:15 pm from track 6 (train ICE 1681) and arrives in Hamburg Hbf 2:56 pm on track 8.

You then have 10 minutes to get to the S-bahn station track 1 (train S 3) for the 3:06 back to Altona which will arrive at 3:18 pm.

There is this train:

FvbnAV.jpg

Leaving Luebeck at 2:08 pm from track 7 arriving Hamburg Hbf 2:51 pm on track 7. 10 minute transfer time to track 2 S-bahn train to Altona which arrives at 3:11 pm.

Good luck!!

Just piggy-backing on my previous post, there are 2 later trains that leave Luebeck that day that will get you back to Altona around 4 pm.

2:43 pm arr Altona 3:48

3:08 pm arr Altona 4:11

Not knowing when your all aboard time is I would plan your trains accordingly. As for right now one never knows if there is track construction or delays that will change your times.

I am not familiar with Luebeck, so I only looked at trains that left from the main station (Hbf) usually the main station is downtown in the city, but if you get a guide book it should tell which station for what you want to visit.

So...let's start! The explanation is UNDER the capture.

BT1Px4.jpg

The 9:11 from Altona leaves the S-bahn station on platform 2 (train number S-31) and arrives in Hbf on platform 3. You then have 13 minutes to get to platform 6 (between A-C) for the trip to Luebeck (train RE 80) with an arrival time of 10:20 am.

If you can't make this train the NEXT train will be:

GucKy0.jpg

Leaving Altona at 9:41 from track 2 (train S 31) and arrives on track 3 at the Hbf. You then have 13 minutes to get to Platform 5 for the 10:04 to Luebeck (train RE 8) which arrives at 10:48 am.

On the way back:

TQpaUV.jpg

This is an Inter-City train so it might cost a bit more, but it is a more comfortable train with a dining car. It will also be quite quick.

Leave Luebeck at 2:15 pm from track 6 (train ICE 1681) and arrives in Hamburg Hbf 2:56 pm on track 8.

You then have 10 minutes to get to the S-bahn station track 1 (train S 3) for the 3:06 back to Altona which will arrive at 3:18 pm.

There is this train:

FvbnAV.jpg

Leaving Luebeck at 2:08 pm from track 7 arriving Hamburg Hbf 2:51 pm on track 7. 10 minute transfer time to track 2 S-bahn train to Altona which arrives at 3:11 pm.

Good luck!!

THANK YOU! Fabulous, I will take your directions with me.....I feel like I owe you big time. I am sure this will also help many others!

• 4 weeks later...

We did the train trip from Altona to Lubeck a couple weeks ago, using the schedule info from the website. We planned to taxi to the Altona station (since we weren't 100% sure where we were going first thing in the morning) but our ship (HAL Prinsendam) provided a shuttle to/from town, so we used that and then walked to Hamburg station. The Schlesweig-Holstein ticket deal was great for our group of 4. It's an option when buying tickets thru the machine at the station. Names of all in the party must be signed in the ticket when ticket dude checks tickets on the train. The train worked great for us, and we really enjoyed Lubeck!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk