Questions about Oslo airport

We are going on a Norwegian Fjords cruise that leaves from Copenhagen. Our flight is not non-stop. We change planes in Oslo. My questions are

1. How large an airport is it. Both flights are on SAS and I am wondering how far I will have to walk.

2. I would like to get some Norwegian currency at the airport if possible. Are there any bank ATMs in the airport that would have a good exchange rate?

Thank you.

1. Where are you flying from?

If you’re coming in from outside the Schengen (e.g. the US or UK), you’ll need to clear passport control. That’s near the end of the pier with the F gates (https://avinor.no/globalassets/_oslo-lufthavn/avgang-departures.pdf). If you’re arriving on a long-haul flight, you’ll most likely park at a gate in that area. On a short-haul non-Schengen SAS flight (e.g. London), you may park closer to the center of the airport and have to walk out to clear passport control and then back. For international connections, there is a small security checkpoint after passport control to allow transit passengers back into the departures area. Look for the signs for international connections.

If you’re arriving on a flight from within the Schengen, you’ll be parked at any one of the Schengen international gates (C/D or E). The E gates are the original international area (from before last years’ opening of the new C/D pier), in which case you typically depart into a dedicated exit level, so you should look for the international connections signs. At the C/D gates, you typically deplan straight into the airport departures area, so you can just go straight to your next gate.

In either case, it’s not far to walk. It’s a pretty small airport. From the farthest of the F gates to the farthest of the C/D gates is typically no more than 20 minutes max. If you hurry, you can probably make it in 10 without running. (There are longer stretches on the domestic Norwegian side, since there are so many more domestic flights.)

However, if you need to clear passport control, it can take a bit of time with a non-European passport. 20-30 minutes is fairly common, and waits are sometimes longer if you’re unlucky. If you have a tight connection after a non-Schengen flight, try to get close to the front of the queue (and/or watch for the European line to clear out, in which case they’ll often take other passports).

2. If you’re after Norwegian kroner (NOK), any ATM will probably be the same, since your bank will be the one doing the conversion. I’m not sure which bank currently operates the majority of the ATMs (DnB or Nordea), but they’re pretty much the same.

Most of the ATMs at the airport offer multiple currencies, but I’d wait to pick up your Danish kroner (DKK) until you get to Copenhagen. The Norwegian banks probably won’t give you the best rate, and depending on how they charge your bank, you might end up paying twice for the conversion if they charge you in NOK.

Sine times you Also nede to get through a Security check. Departure airport dependent. The last two time I have been passing OSL to CPH from USA we had to go through security check, however SAS know that you are coming and they will also have your checked luggage onboard the flight bound for CPH so transfer time should not be an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Compared to big transfer airports it is relatively small but you will likely have to switch gate areas if your first flight originates in the US or Canada. There are whole sets of currency issuing ATM’s in the terminal. I would get some NOK there, but unless you have specific items you know require them, like a tour, I would not get a lot. Most of your purchases in Norway will be with your CC.

Thank you for your replies. I am flying from the United States. I have difficulty walking long distances or very fast. I have requested a wheelchair but of course no guarantee it will be there. I do hope we have enough time but since the airline booked our flights I assume it should all work out.

My main reason for wanting NOK is so I can get change for public toilets in our ports.

Thank you for the update - quite sure that you wheelchair will be there and you will have sufficient time.

I would not spend time searching for an ATM in the airport - you should be able to get NOK on the ship.

I also believe most toilets in the ports are fee.