Spending the night in a hotel in St. Pet, instead of returning to ship?

In order to maximize the time in St. P., I'm thinking of booking a room for the night in a hotel, instead of returning to the ship in the evening and going out again in the morning, saving some travel time.

Do u have to be back on the ship for the night?

I'm fairly certain that would only be possible if you have your own visa. Otherwise, a tour guide or representative would have to stay with you. When we went out to eat, the guide left, but the driver stayed outside the restaurant.

I'm fairly certain that would only be possible if you have your own visa. Otherwise, a tour guide or representative would have to stay with you. When we went out to eat, the guide left, but the driver stayed outside the restaurant.

Interesting question.

I would suspect if the tour operator booked your hotel room, so it was part of your tour package, it would be possible.

Suggest you ask your tour operator.

Thank you both for the replies.

I didn't mention that, as an Israeli citizen, I don't need a visa for visiting Russia. Therefore, I can do it independently.

But, Russia still being Russia, I wanted to be sure that there is no, let's say, "security" reason for advising us to be back by 11.30. Should we decide to remain in the city, will RC alert the authorities that we are missing ???

I didn't mention that, as an Israeli citizen, I don't need a visa for visiting Russia. Therefore, I can do it independently.

But, Russia still being Russia, I wanted to be sure that there is no, let's say, "security" reason for advising us to be back by 11.30. Should we decide to remain in the city, will RC alert the authorities that we are missing ???

I doubt you’d have any issues. Honestly, the ship really only cares about having accurate info about who’s actually on the ship. If you do go missing, they probably wouldn’t even know until they’d left port and you didn’t show up for the announcement when they called your name to find out if you hadn’t gotten scanned in correctly.

While I haven’t done this in Russia, I’ve done it in the Seychelles. We actually took a ferry to another island and spent two nights there before returning to the ship. I think we may have run it by someone at the purser’s desk, but they were pretty nonchalant about it. It’s probably worth mentioning it to them, but they probably won’t care.

Thank you both for the replies.

Whoops. lol Didn't notice that in your post across from your name.

I agree with letting your cabin steward and/or guest relations know. But also agree the only issue will probably be whether or not you are back on board at sailing.

One thing we did do was to inform our tablemates at dinner beforehand. We were sharing a larger table and didn’t want anyone to worry or to think we were avoiding them. That’s probably less of an issue in SPB where lots of people book evening excursions, but we thought it would be nice to let them know. At the very least so they didn’t wait for us before ordering! :)

In order to maximize the time in St. P., I'm thinking of booking a room for the night in a hotel, instead of returning to the ship in the evening and going out again in the morning, saving some travel time.

Do u have to be back on the ship for the night?

We do this for all the overnights on all of our cruises. We have a hotel for SPB also. I called the cruise line and they thanked me for letting them know as this is standard and they can mark you down as not returning that night. Should be no problem.

I was told by princess to alert the ship I would not be returning and staying off the ship . there did not seem to be an issue as long as the ship was aware of of your intention. Have not done it but I did inquire.

We do this for all the overnights on all of our cruises. We have a hotel for SPB also. I called the cruise line and they thanked me for letting them know as this is standard and they can mark you down as not returning that night. Should be no problem.

Thank you both for your replies, much appreciated. That's what we will do:D.