Hong Kong Hotels

reps23

Hi,

We will be disembarking in Hong Kong on December 10 sailing on Holland America Westerdam. My husband and I will be staying at the Four Seasons in Macau on the 10th. but will be looking for hotels for December 11 and 12 in Hong Kong. What area would any of you suggest to stay in for sightseeing. Also, any hotel suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know that the transportation in Hong Kong is great but I am also thinking of taking a private tour. My daughter, sister in law and brother in law will be meeting me in Hong Kong before we leave for Thailand, last stop for our trip. They are first time visitors to Hong Kong and I thought maybe a private tour would make this easier to put together. Does anyone have any suggestions for private guides.

Thanks for all your help.

Phyllis

Review how much you want to spend first. The rates for some hotels at certain time periods can be astronomical. Tourists usually stay in central or Admiralty on the island side, south end of TsimShaTsui on the Kowloon side. If more adventurous, you could consider outlying areas such as WanChai, Causeway Bay and North Point on the island side, Jordan Rd on the Kowloon side.

Last stay there was at a Novotel in the Jordan Road area which was not close to anything of interest except for the lady street night market and perhaps WongTaiSin temple (never been). It was chosen as it was closer to where we boarded the CMA CGM Libra bound for Long Beach (not that it mattered - the line sent a car and driver to get us there).

Oh wow I love the four seasons in Macau, one of my fav hotels ever. It really is a 5star+ hotel. I love all the outdoor pools and the indoor hot tubs and gym area. The service is second to none. the breakfast buffet superb and the location is smack bang in the centre although most people wouldn't know it was there. After leaving the Four seasons you will be disappointed in any hotel you stay in Hong Kong. There is no comparison. Having said that, we have stayed in a couple of good hotels there over the years. Have stayed at the Icon twice on the Kowloon side. It is always rated in the top 5 on Trip adviser. Fairly modern with nice touches and the rooftop pool has great views over the harbour. My preferred hotel though is the Royal Plaza also on the Kowloon side in Mongkok. It has a much better pool and the rooms are just as good as the icon. However the Royal Plaza is built above a huge shopping mall and MTR called MOKO which is super convenient. Both hotels are on the free airport express bus route linking to Kowloon station. Taxis are cheap and easy around Kowloon also.

We stayed at the Royal Plaza also a few years back. They have the biggest hotel rooms in HK. Walking distance to Ladies market but not close to any touristy sites. Subway station right there so making it convenient.

We loved the Hyatt Regency in TST. A block from Nathan Road, right above the subway station and K-11 Mall. Tons of eateries around that area. Second stop on the free shuttle from the Airport Express Kowloon Station.

Good stay at the YWCA Salisbury also. Room quite small but convenient location right next to the Peninsula and near the Star Ferry.

If you want a million dollar harbor view, book a harbor view room at Intercontinental Kowloon. We did not get the harbor view room but quite happy with the upgraded penthouse suite.

We had an amazing stay at Hotel Icon at the end of our Azamara cruise in Dec 2016. Wish we'd stayed longer! We booked a club harbor room and were upgraded to a suite. The view was so lovely (ESPECIALLY with holiday lights up at night!) I almost didn't want to leave the room to explore ;-)

The hotel is quite green, very beautiful - and is a teaching institution! It is staffed by students at the School of Hotel & Tourism Management from the Hong Kong Polytech University. They are fantastic! My husband had one of the best Manhattans he's tried at the club lounge....

Your hotel choices will depends on a number of factors -- mainly depends on your budget, and the sights that you want to see. If you give me an idea of what you and your group is interested in seeing or doing in Hong Kong, I can give you some idea of what area you can look into for your Hotel stay.

BTW, I live in Hong Kong -- feel free to ask me question and I will try my best to answer them. You can also PM me if you wish,,,

Enjoy.

Your hotel choices will depends on a number of factors -- mainly depends on your budget, and the sights that you want to see. If you give me an idea of what you and your group is interested in seeing or doing in Hong Kong, I can give you some idea of what area you can look into for your Hotel stay.

BTW, I live in Hong Kong -- feel free to ask me question and I will try my best to answer them. You can also PM me if you wish,,,

Enjoy.

Hi,

Thank you so much for offering information especially from someone that lives in Hong Kong.

We will be arriving in Hong Kong on December 10 from a cruise on the Westerdam. From there we will take the ferry to Macau. On December 11, we will leave Macau and stay in Hong Kong on December 11 and 12 leaving for Thailand December 13 in the morning.

I have booked a tour from Hello Hong Kong for 8 hours on December 12. They will pick us up at our hotel of which we have not booked yet.. I have read a lot of good reviews for The Salisbury YMCA and am leaning towards them. What do you suggest? My husband and I were in Stanley last year and would like to take my daughter and brother in law and sister in law there who will be meeting us in Hong Kong. We will take them to Stanley on December 11 after we check in a hotel. What other sites should we visit after Stanley? Whatever we see on that day will not be repeated with hello hong kong.

Again, I really appreciate your help. This is why I always am reading cruise critic.

Phyllis

Hi,

Thank you so much for offering information especially from someone that lives in Hong Kong.

We will be arriving in Hong Kong on December 10 from a cruise on the Westerdam. From there we will take the ferry to Macau. On December 11, we will leave Macau and stay in Hong Kong on December 11 and 12 leaving for Thailand December 13 in the morning.

I have booked a tour from Hello Hong Kong for 8 hours on December 12. They will pick us up at our hotel of which we have not booked yet.. I have read a lot of good reviews for The Salisbury YMCA and am leaning towards them. What do you suggest? My husband and I were in Stanley last year and would like to take my daughter and brother in law and sister in law there who will be meeting us in Hong Kong. We will take them to Stanley on December 11 after we check in a hotel. What other sites should we visit after Stanley? Whatever we see on that day will not be repeated with hello hong kong.

Again, I really appreciate your help. This is why I always am reading cruise critic.

Phyllis

Staying at Salisbury YMCA is a great idea as it's close to Ocean Terminal where I believe you'll be docked. If you plan to head off to Macau on the same day of arrival, you can drop off some of your luggage first. Macau ferry terminal is also in the same area but might be a bit difficult to walk with luggage.

You can easily get from the Hotel (assume YMCA) to Stanley by taking the Star Ferry (nice view of Victoria Harbour) then a short walk to the Bus Terminal at Exchange Square. You will be able to find Bus number 6 (or 6A, 6X) and get off at Stanley Market.

As for other sights to see... Not sure if you've been to the Big Budda @ Lantau Island yet -- it's a great full-day trip.

Staying at Salisbury YMCA is a great idea as it's close to Ocean Terminal where I believe you'll be docked. If you plan to head off to Macau on the same day of arrival, you can drop off some of your luggage first. Macau ferry terminal is also in the same area but might be a bit difficult to walk with luggage.

You can easily get from the Hotel (assume YMCA) to Stanley by taking the Star Ferry (nice view of Victoria Harbour) then a short walk to the Bus Terminal at Exchange Square. You will be able to find Bus number 6 (or 6A, 6X) and get off at Stanley Market.

As for other sights to see... Not sure if you've been to the Big Budda @ Lantau Island yet -- it's a great full-day trip.

Hi,

We will be docking at the Kai Tak Terminal. We will be in Macau overnight, then Hong Kong the next two days so unfortunately we will not have time to go to Lantau Island. Does the Star Ferry just go to one destination so we know which one to take? Will we be able to find the Bus Terminal easily? I guess I can check on goggle maps for directions. Then we will take the bus that you suggest to Stanley Market. My family will think I really know my way around. (Maybe)

After checking in to the Salisbury, we will take the ferry and bus to Stanley. It will probably be late afternoon. Is there anywhere else to go to after Stanley market? Any suggestions for a restaurant for dinner?

Thanks.

Phyllis

Does the Star Ferry just go to one destination so we know which one to take? Will we be able to find the Bus Terminal easily? I guess I can check on goggle maps for directions. Then we will take the bus that you suggest to Stanley Market.
You'll need to go to Central, not Wanchai: http://www.starferry.com.hk/en/service

It's about 400 yards to the bus terminus at Exchange Square, which is just the other side of the IFC (the complex with the very tall building). The route should be reasonably well signposted. It's better to use the overhead walkway rather than trying to do it at street level.

You'll need to go to Central, not Wanchai: http://www.starferry.com.hk/en/service

It's about 400 yards to the bus terminus at Exchange Square, which is just the other side of the IFC (the complex with the very tall building). The route should be reasonably well signposted. It's better to use the overhead walkway rather than trying to do it at street level.

Thank you for the information. So we take the Star Ferry from Tsim Sha Tsui to Central. Then board a bus to Stanley. Google maps has us walking to the Jardine House but that looks to complicated with a bus change. According to your directions we then walk the overhead walkway to Exchange Square and board the bus to Stanley. Is there a bus number or do we just look for sign on bus that says Stanley.

Phyllis

Google maps has us walking to the Jardine House but that looks to complicated with a bus change. According to your directions we then walk the overhead walkway to Exchange Square and board the bus to Stanley. Is there a bus number or do we just look for sign on bus that says Stanley.
Jardine House is next door to Exchange Square - Google Maps will show you that clearly.

MicrostormHK has already given you the bus numbers. I can't vouch for them myself at the moment as I haven't checked, but I took a bus back from Stanley to Central at the end of last year and those numbers do ring a bell.

Jardine House is next door to Exchange Square - Google Maps will show you that clearly.

MicrostormHK has already given you the bus numbers. I can't vouch for them myself at the moment as I haven't checked, but I took a bus back from Stanley to Central at the end of last year and those numbers do ring a bell.

Thank you. We will follow both of your directions.

Phyllis

Extra/supplemental info - to boost what's been provided by others already:

Zoomable map of Central, HK - https://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/hongkong/central.htm

Skybridge that connect over the roadway to ES, the bus terminal, downstairs

________Pedestrian_Footbr-Exchange_Square-20000000009484155-500x375.jpg

Central @ Exchange Sq. to Stanley, take CTB 6 - all days/hours or 6A or 6X.

https://wikiroutes.info/en/hong-kong?routes=39344

A virtual tour ot the Rt. 6 bus trip from Central to Stanley

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed in Shangri La Kowloon in March after a Celebrity Cruise, booked a club room with harbour view, wow just amazing and one of the best hotels we have stayed in. Breakfast was the best ever, we could have sat at the window in our room for hours just watching the views. Easy walking to Star ferry and shopping centres and hop- on-hop - off bus stop across the road.