Parents First Cruise Leaving Toddler.....Any Advice?

tap_out

My wife and I our experienced cruisers and went on a cruise every year we have been together "10" up until we had our son in 2016. So we have been 2+ years without a cruise and were in a serious need of our upcoming Horizon cruise on August 8th. Let me say this.....to all the parents that bring your toddler or baby on board AMEN! but the wife and I both agree that wouldn't really be much of a vacation. He just turned 2 and we couldn't ask for a better baby but he is super active. I am thinking when he is 4 or 5 he might be ready for a cruise but by then we will probably have our second. So this could be the last cruise for awhile.

Initially even when my wife was pregnant I had already put the bug in her ear that we would be cruising when he was 2. She would consistently talk about how she didn't think she could leave him and how she wouldn't be ready. I pushed the issued and we booked the first of this year. So after being a teacher and without even having a day off and going right into the Director of a summer program my wife is more then ready for vacation. Of course she is still having some anxiety about leaving him but her excitement for vacation is outweighing it. On the other hand big tough guy I am who never thought I would have a problem leaving him am really struggling. How the tables have turned.

He will splitting time between my father and my wife's mother and going to day care during the day. He doesn't really have separation anxiety and is used to being left as we both work full time jobs with crazy schedules. So was just looking for some advice to parents who have done this in the past. We planned on purchasing the premium internet package which I hear is very good on the Horizon. That way we are able to use the video chat apps. I'm sure I will get over my anxiety and be able to enjoy my cruise but still nervous.

My family was always willing to babysit when my son was a toddler and I went on adult trips. This was in the days before internet so there was little or no contact depending on where I went.

It always worked out well. They had fun spoiling him...LOL and he always had a good time.

Now that my son is grown and has 2 girls, I've done the same but the girls are older now, 5 and 9, so they do travel with the parents as well for different trips..

More than likely, you will miss him more than he misses you!:D:D

Have fun...

We were lucky that we had 2 sets of grandparents to watch our son when he was that age and we wanted a vacation without him.

These days it seems that young people take their little ones with them wherever they go but we enjoyed some grownup time and the grandparents loved having our son for a week.

There was no internet so no calling all the time. He was find and they were fine and he turned out to be a very independent person.

Go and enjoy!

On the other hand there are tons of families with little ones on board so you could do that also!! Up to you.

It's a week out of his life..................think about it, he won't even have a memory of this. It is hard leaving, but once that ship pulls out you will be ok. Anything that happens, your relatives are equipped to deal with I'm sure or you wouldn't consider leaving him in the first place. It is ok to give yourself and your wife permission to have "couple time", so very important and underated in our society, imo. Enjoy your cruise!

Your child will be having serious BONDING time with the grandparents...that's a GOOD thing. Being alone, as a couple, is a GOOD and NECESSARY thing!

Do not have guilt. Be happy you have grandparents (your parents, who raised YOU perfectly!) to take loving care of your child. ( I guarantee they will take better care of their grandchild than they EVER took care of you!)

You do know the purpose of raising a child is to foster independence....and that's what leaving you child with loving others, will do. NO guilt. Go....have fun! Kids are quite flexible. No worries at all.

Leave a small little picture album with the person caring for him, and if the caretaker needs to show pictures of you, it can help.

I am just jealous! When my kids were young I didn't have anyone to watch them, both our parents felt that they were to active when toddlers. We had a rule that at 3, we would cruise again, and we did, twice with the oldest one, before the younger one was born. Then we waited until 3, and cruised again! We didn't get a cruise alone until our 20th anniversary, and I paid a college student who babysat for us to watch them!

Take the time, you need it! Enjoy being a couple again! I am 3 years out from the youngest going to college, and my husband can't stop talking about a 10 - 14 day repositioning cruise!

I am sure your wife needs the break! It will be wonderful!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Your child will be having serious BONDING time with the grandparents...that's a GOOD thing. Being alone, as a couple, is a GOOD and NECESSARY thing!

Do not have guilt. Be happy you have grandparents (your parents, who raised YOU perfectly!) to take loving care of your child. ( I guarantee they will take better care of their grandchild than they EVER took care of you!)

You do know the purpose of raising a child is to foster independence....and that's what leaving you child with loving others, will do. NO guilt. Go....have fun! Kids are quite flexible. No worries at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd leave a notarized authorization for medical treatment with the grandparents while you are away.

I think your child will have a wonderful time with the grandparents, and you will have a lovely vacation. My kids grandparents were overwhelmed so this wasn't an option for us. If after the second comes this is the same situation for you (I hope not but just in case) please note that Disney has drop off fee based nurseries on all of its ships and Royal Caribbean has them on all new and most refurbished ships for children aged 6 months - 3 years. Carnival, P&O, and Cunard accepts children into their drop off kids clubs starting at the age of 2. I don't know about P&O, but Carnival and Cunard will change diapers for 2 year olds.

Have a great trip!

Baby will be fine! Grandma knows what to do! She got it!! Go on and enjoy the cruise!

I’m not sure if you remember when there was no internet and Skype, FB, instagram and IM and all this newfound unnecessary BS people MUST have, but there was a time that once you left home, that was it. You didn’t hear anything about the real world until you got back, or if someone paid $8/minute to tell you about Fido!!

You and your wife should have alone time. Who knows baby #2 might be a water baby?!!!! Enjoy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely be sure to leave a medical authorization with your parents. Some states have a fillable form for such purposes. Google your state and power of attorney for medical decision making. Or medical power of attorney for children.

Beyond that, relax. Take the time to focus on each other. Sure, check in with the video chats etc but don’t dwell on it or let that dictate your schedule. I firmly believe that sometimes the best thing parents can do for their kids is to take care of themselves. You’re doing that!

Mom here!! Thank you for all of your positive posts. I had never thought of medical authorization, so great advice! Personally, the Facetime is more for him than me. He's starting to realize when mommy and daddy are gone so I want him to be able to talk to us "face to face" at least.

I am SO ready for this cruise!! Minus the fact that I literally have 2 days to get everything done between the end of my summer program and the day we leave. Mike and I haven't had time to ourselves like this since Bhody was born and it will be a much needed refresher course on being a couple.

I hate to tell you this, but you are going to miss your child WAY more than he is going to miss you. In fact, don't be surprised if he's not even interested in talking to you when you videochat. If the grandparents are doing everything right (which I have no doubt they will), your child will be having so much fun with them that he really won't care about your being gone. In fact, I might recommend just keeping in contact with the grandparents and only videochatting with the toddler if they say he's been asking about you. It can be kind of wrenching to see a child's total dis-interest in you (but that's how all kids, even toddlers, can be.)

I hate to tell you this, but you are going to miss your child WAY more than he is going to miss you. In fact, don't be surprised if he's not even interested in talking to you when you videochat. If the grandparents are doing everything right (which I have no doubt they will), your child will be having so much fun with them that he really won't care about your being gone. In fact, I might recommend just keeping in contact with the grandparents and only videochatting with the toddler if they say he's been asking about you. It can be kind of wrenching to see a child's total dis-interest in you (but that's how all kids, even toddlers, can be.)

I agree! I think it is harder on all involved to video chat! I'd just check in with a text or FB message from the grandparents, and only chat if there is a problem or severe separation anxiety! It's easier sometimes just to "not know." Out of sight, out of mind. We left our first daughter around that age, and try to make an "alone" trip every year! It's well worth it!

Mom here!! Thank you for all of your positive posts. I had never thought of medical authorization, so great advice! Personally, the Facetime is more for him than me. He's starting to realize when mommy and daddy are gone so I want him to be able to talk to us "face to face" at least.

I am SO ready for this cruise!! Minus the fact that I literally have 2 days to get everything done between the end of my summer program and the day we leave. Mike and I haven't had time to ourselves like this since Bhody was born and it will be a much needed refresher course on being a couple.

ENJOY!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I agree with this, but this technology wasn’t available when we left the kids behind. We didn’t even talk to them on the phone, because they were so FINE without us. Heck, when we got back, they acted like we only left them for an hour or so. You will miss him, but you will also feel SO relaxed! It got easier and easier each time we left ours, I used to get giddy thinking about it (we had 5 kids in 6 1/2 years, I was a SAHM...). Now that they are teens/young adults, I hate to vacation without them.

We left our 1st child when she was a Toddler to do a 12 day Mexican Cruise. We left a notarized letter, medical letter authorizing my Mother to make decisions on behalf of our child, medical cards, a copy of our will, and lastly a copy of important information including emergency contact number to the ship, her social security number, her doctor/dentist information with phone numbers, etc. I would ensure both your care providers have correctly installed carseats anchored in their cars and ensure they are able to work them. Most important thing you can do is have full and complete trust in the person caring for your child.

Nine years later... our children (11, 5, and 3) now travel with us fulltime around the country in an RV and do an occasional 2 month stint in another country. We still have a folder with all the above information when the Grandchildren go to my Mom's for vacation.

We left DS with his grandparents to go on a cruise when he was 9 months and 2 yo. My parents were already his day care providers, so it didn't change much for the kiddo. He stayed in his house, in his bed, so, at least the surroundings and the timing of the routine didn't change for him.

We didn't purchase either the data plan or called home with intl roaming... They were fine. If something happened, they would have called my cell and left a message.

We missed him terribly, though (he is not super active, like OP's kid), so when he was 3, he started cruising with us. :) It's been great, and he doesn't even go to kid's club. He is 7 now and has already been on 4 cruises.

P.S. A tablet with games and cartoons is a must in MDR if you want to enjoy your dinner and adult conversation. :)