Cruise travel tips & secrets

LOVE the Rootbeer to make rootbeer floats idea. Why haven't I thought of that?

Carnival cruisers: Love banana splits? In the MDR, banana splits are on the children's menu! :p

I am a bit - ok, a lot :rolleyes: - obsessive/compulsive and cannot stand clutter in the cabin. Throwing our non-hanging clothing onto the shelves in the closet makes me cringe. Dollar General to the rescue. I've purchased several of the fabric "drawers." They cost less than $5 each for the larger square/cube ones and @ $3 for the rectangular ones, weigh practically nothing, and fold completely flat. When we get our luggage in the cabin, I open our "drawers" and put things away. The smaller rectangular ones are great for corraling bedside items, too.

We've also started leaving things on hangers when we pack. Makes unpacking a breeze. When shopping, I ask to keep the store hangers and put the black ones away for cruising. Even the Hubs likes this one. :o

Prepacking items in packing cubes works great for cabin shelf organization too. Make unpacking so much easier too. Last cruise I bought an inexpensive set from ebay that had 3 cubes and 3 pouches. It was great!

I truly appreciate your list...but do want to point out that many tips may or may not be necessary. But I think it is always good to have many points of view--I know I have picked up many tips fro these boards due to people like you & me who are willing to put tips out there!

Great tips:):)

Powder helps get sand off your skin. And helps with athletes foot too!

I wish I had read this before my last cruise. For some reason (maybe it was wearing dress shoes more), my feet were on fire after 1 night. I went to the infirmary (1st time) and they offered me a small bottle of antifungal powder and it was going to cost $15. I was really wishing I had remembered the Gold Bond! I actually ended up putting anti-perspirant on my feet and it fixed the problem.

There are some great tips on this board.

There were several mentions of clocks and alarm clocks early on. While this might be necessary for some folks, on many ships the phone has a clock and there is wake up service. We also use room service as a wake up call. We order coffee and tea every morning and they call before they come. There is no charge (except what you choose to tip) for this service on RCI. Many watches have alarms too.

I use synthetic boxer briefs on cruises. They rinse out easy in the shower, dry overnight, and are lighter than cotton boxers. I can pack fewer and rinse textra plugs. hem or back enough for the cruise and they don't take up any room.

I don't know why people need extra plugs either (CPAP machines notwithstanding). There were three plugs in our room and the only thing that needed charging was the camera battery. We did charge our phones the night before we left, but even that only took two outlets. My wife uses a flat iron for her hair; so that too.

We used to bring the shoe bag, but most rooms have enough storage now and if we only need something once or twice, we put it in the suitcase under the bed.

We packed one carry on (mine), one garment bag for tux and dresses, and one larger suitcase (wife's) last trip; and we drove in. I am working on getting us down to two carry ons. We'll see how that works out.

• 2 months later...

If one of your cruise perks is free laundry

Sometime during the cruise I’m on I will put a couple of paper laundry bags and laundry slips in my luggage for my next cruise. As sometimes there not either the bag or laundry slip in the cabin. during the first day I have my travel clothes

ready to send out to be clean

• 4 weeks later...
If one of your cruise perks is free laundry

Sometime during the cruise I’m on I will put a couple of paper laundry bags and laundry slips in my luggage for my next cruise. As sometimes there not either the bag or laundry slip in the cabin. during the first day I have my travel clothes

ready to send out to be clean

That’s a good idea. I never send stuff out on the first day because I figure the laundry crew is going to be super busy with all the turn-around laundry (sheets, robes,etc) from the previous cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

The more days you go to Disney the cheaper it is per day.

might want to bump the cost estimate of disney up a few hundred ;) adult tickets now are approx $100 each (for only one park!). parking was $20 last time we went there and lunch for two adults was approx $20.

• 2 weeks later...
On a letter size sheet of paper, write your work email and your work address and take a picture of it. If you loose your camera, somebody will certainly look at the photos.

That’s a very good idea!! Tanks for sharing !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums