Maui POA itinerary critique please

jeweladdict

This is our planned POA itinerary. Hoping you guys can answer some questions and tell us if it is doable with a 2 year old :D

Day 1: 8AM Arrival

11AM: Haleakala National Park + Crater to get our Junior ranger badge

Lunch? Any recommendations on our way to Lahaina area?

3PM:Drive to Kaanapali Beach, black rock snorkeling

Explore Lahaina

6:15PM Old Lahaina Luau

Back to ship, park at Maui Mall or airport

Day 2:

Road to Hana

Early start 7am?

Halfway to Hana Bread shop at mile 17

Pua'a Kaa State park for swim and waterfall at mile 22

Coconut glen's mile 27

Wainapanapa state park for black sand beach mile 32

Hana

What time do we need to drive back to ensure we can return our car and get on boat by 6pm?

Wow your itinerary sounds very similar to ours!

Day 1:

Ka'anapali beach

Lunch/Whalers Village

Explore Lahaina

Old Lahaina Luau

Day2:

Early start on Road to Hana - go halfway or so

Hookipa Beach to see some windsurfing

Late lunch at Mama's Fish house

I'm trying to figure out if we have time to do all we have planned on day 2, and if so where on the Road to Hana is a good place to turn around. I'd like to go all the way to mile marker 32, but that may be pushing it. Any advice would be appreciated - tia!

Yea, I was super iffy on our day 2 itinerary. Daughter is ok on car rides, but full day might be pushing it. We're going to do the Molokini snorkel excursion on the Calypso (glass bottom + slides + snorkel in 2 spots) and then hit up Wailea and Maluaka if we have time.

Thanks for the input!

Day 2:

6:45 Snorkel Excursion with Calypso ($110 pp)

Slip 82, South Ferry Dock 101 Ma’alaea Road, Wailuku, HI 967931PM returnwailea (secret beach)Maluaka Beach snorkel and turtle

1PM returnwailea (secret beach)Maluaka Beach snorkel and turtle

If you find you have had enough of snorkel and turtle time when you finish your sail, consider going to Iao Valley. It will give a wild tropical atmosphere such as the road to Hana if you want to experience that sort of thing. It is also close to the ship.

• 1 month later...

Be careful. Most of the rental car companies do not allow their cars to be taken up to Haleakala. Read your agreement carefully.

I've done Haleakala and part of the road to Hana and I have to say this is a very ambitious schedule, especially with a two year old. Whoever drives is going to be tired- there are tons of switchbacks on the Haleakala drive and it can be nerve wracking on both that drive as well as road to Hana, which also has many hairpin curves and is extremely narrow. Throw in the drive to Lahaina... dude. For me that one was the craziest, because you're driving on the edge of a cliff. I'm a very confident driver, but it was a bit harrowing at times. Not saying it can't be done or rain on your parade, just trying to let you in on what my experience has been.

We had a great time at the top of Haleakala, totally worth it- actually planning on returning to the peak for sunrise when I cruise POA in Oct... but I'll be paying someone to drive me up this time!

we only got so far on the road to Hana- made it to the Garden of Eden Arboretum and Botanical Garden, then headed back after our visit there. The place is gorgeous, with a view of Puohokamoa Falls and all kinds of amazing plants and flowers.

Maui Ocean Center is also really cool. There are areas where you can touch starfish and other marine life, so super cool for the kids.

Hope you all have an awesome time!!

Be careful. Most of the rental car companies do not allow their cars to be taken up to Haleakala. Read your agreement carefully.

I've done Haleakala and part of the road to Hana and I have to say this is a very ambitious schedule, especially with a two year old. Whoever drives is going to be tired- there are tons of switchbacks on the Haleakala drive and it can be nerve wracking on both that drive as well as road to Hana, which also has many hairpin curves and is extremely narrow. Throw in the drive to Lahaina... dude. For me that one was the craziest, because you're driving on the edge of a cliff. I'm a very confident driver, but it was a bit harrowing at times. Not saying it can't be done or rain on your parade, just trying to let you in on what my experience has been.

We are unaware of any restrictions in driving a rental car up Haleakala. Perhaps you are thinking of the drive around the "back side", which continues on from Hana. That road can be a bit challenging, and if your rental car breaks down you may find your cellular phone isn't working either and help is hard to find.

As to the drive to Lahaina, it sounds like you took highway 340 which, as you learned, is not the safest way to go. Next time try highway 30 for a pleasant and beautiful drive to Lahaina.

My experiences have been that morning is the best time for beach activities because the winds generally strengthen in the afternoon.

We drive our car so It’s been years since we last rented a car but have not heard of any restrictions going to Haleakala. Even if not restricted, I wouldn’t recommend driving around either the north or south ends of Maui.

We are unaware of any restrictions in driving a rental car up Haleakala. Perhaps you are thinking of the drive around the "back side", which continues on from Hana. That road can be a bit challenging, and if your rental car breaks down you may find your cellular phone isn't working either and help is hard to find.

As to the drive to Lahaina, it sounds like you took highway 340 which, as you learned, is not the safest way to go. Next time try highway 30 for a pleasant and beautiful drive to Lahaina.

Actually the Aloha rental agreement stated several areas that were restricted: yes the back side of Hana, as well as Haleakala and at least one more site.

Actually the Aloha rental agreement stated several areas that were restricted: yes the back side of Hana, as well as Haleakala and at least one more site.

Maybe the Haleakala restriction is due to drivers not using a lower gear & too much heavy braking while going downhill. I’m not familiar with Aloha rental...wonder if the larger companies have the same restrictions.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Aloha is a local company, so their rules may differ from the nationwide chains. Always wise to check your contract though.

Yes, Aloha is local, which is why I went with them. I figure keep more money on the island rather than going to a national chain…

Yeah, it was a great thought. however, The company is not great. The little girl that checked us out had such a terrible attitude it was anything but aloha. And the car was a dog with fleas! It had so many dents on there that the rental agreement diagram of the car literally had just marks all over it. It was crazy. It looked like it had been parked on a driving range it had so many dents on that car. We got a convertible thinking oh that would be so special… Not so much. Definitely do not go through aloha!

Edited by Djdarleen
Add a sentence

One more thing to note: Hawaii insurance requirements are very different from some other states. I had to get my insurance company on the phone to talk to the rental agent. Definitely bring your proof of insurance. Not sure if anyone else can offer any more helpful advice about how to make the process a little bit easier…:confused:

One more thing to note: Hawaii insurance requirements are very different from some other states. I had to get my insurance company on the phone to talk to the rental agent. Definitely bring your proof of insurance. Not sure if anyone else can offer any more helpful advice about how to make the process a little bit easier…:confused:

We had Ohana visit us this summer & they rented a van for the 7 of them from Kihei Rent A Car for two weeks with a total price of $615.

Their cars are often rented by visitors who stay for a longer time but are well priced. They pick up & drop off at the airport but are more well worn than from the larger rental companies. They’re a family run business & my Ohana were happy with their service.

Discount Hawaii Car Rentals checks rental companies & is regularly recommended on this forum. Whenever I’ve checked them Costco Travel had better rates for the major car rental companies.

Sounds like a very ambitious itinerary on Day 2 with a lot of time in the car. I can't imagine doing Haleakela AND Kaanapali for snorkeling in the same day. It's been our experience that traffic is pretty heavy on the road to Kaanapali (unless they've widened the 2-lane highway we're familiar with) so it can be slow especially as far as Lahaina.

We get the feeling they might have been afraid that their cars wouldn't have lasted through the areas mentioned.

My thought as well! The brakes weren’t so great either. I believe the other restriction was the road out to Kaanapali... good to hear there’s a locally owned place in Kihei that is reliable.

We drove our rental car up to Haleakala on a land visit to Maui some years ago with no problem. BUT it IS mountain driving (from sea level to 10,000 ft) with lots of curves etc. If one doesn't have much experience driving in that kind of situation, I would caution against it and take a tour up there instead.

The Road to Hana isn't going to interest a child too much. I think it's totally overrated, unless you have an entire day to kill.....it's a LONG trip! Yes, it's pretty, but so is the rest of Maui!

We DID have a day to kill before our flight so it was a great way to spend it as there's nothing to do in Kahului. The first part is green, lush landscape and then once you "turn the corner" at the SE corner of Maui (where you can visit Lindbergh's home), it turns dry and almost desert-like because it's in the "rain shadow" of Haleakela. I thought it was cool to drive around the base of Haleakela for a change rather than driving to the top. Also, Oprah has a home down near Lindbergh's. I think we could see a bit of it as we drove by. Not sure how she accesses it!