Attractions within walking distance of the Oahu cruise port

emarismom

Are there any attractions with walking distance of the cruise port? Since we may have an extra day in Oahu, I would like to have something nearby to do. We will have three days precuise and to days post cruise in addition to this day, so I am hoping to find something simple that will not be an all day affair.

The Iolani Palace is within walking distance. If it is the first Friday of a month you can enjoy the First Friday Art Walk in China Town. I love Oahu so can think of a million things to do but you probably already have things planned during your pre and post cruise stay. And, if it is pre-cruise you can purchase some fabulous flowers for your cabin at a local florist. Cherie

I second the motion for the Iolani Palace. Our flight didn’t leave until 3PM so we had some time to kill after disembarking. We stored our luggage at the pier and walked over to the palace. It was an easy 15 minute walk. We had pre arranged a tour with a docent . She explained everything we saw and gave us some history. They also have audio tours and general admission. It was a perfect way to fill the morning and end our stay up Hawaii.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, Iolani Palace is excellent. While you're in the area, you'll also find The State Legislature Building (very unique), King Kamehameha Statue, an interesting and free historical exhibit inside Aliiolani Hale (the building behind the statue), and Kawaiaha'o Church and Mission Houses Museum.

Ala Moana Beach Park and Ala Moana Shopping Center will feel like a long 25 - 45 minutes of walking. The Bus will take you there from Ala Moana Blvd out front of the cruise terminal in under 10 minutes. Several buses run this route throughout the day. See: TheBus.org . The Bus also has a good app for your phone giving real time information on the buses.

Are there any attractions with walking distance of the cruise port? Since we may have an extra day in Oahu, I would like to have something nearby to do. We will have three days precuise and to days post cruise in addition to this day, so I am hoping to find something simple that will not be an all day affair.

Hawaii State Capitol

The State Capital Building is The State Legislature Building. I totally agree that I should have called it the State Capital. Anyway, it's very unique and worth walking through. There are no organized tours that allow you inside the building, but it has open air access through it.

• 2 weeks later...

After our POA cruise last week, we had a 5:30 flight out of Honolulu, so we did most of the following walking tour before our flight https://www.hawaii-guide.com/oahu/sights/top-10-historic-sites-of-downtown-honolulu-a-walking-tour.

We didn’t do it in order. After dropping our bags at the luggage storage facility at the port ($5 a bag), we walked to the ‘Iolani Palace. It’s about 0.6 miles from the port. We paid $27 (adult price) for a tour with a docent. The last tour is at 11:15, so we didn’t want to miss it. It was really worth it. After the tour, you can go in the basement for a self-guided tour of additional artifacts, including a 13 carat diamond.

We managed to visit six of the locations. Then, we walked back to the port, picked up our luggage, and sat inside on the benches so we could reshuffle the items in the luggage in preparation for our flights. There are restrooms which we used to freshen up before our flight, as well.

If you want an active excursion before sitting for hours on a plane, I definitely recommend this plan.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it easy to store your luggage at port?

Yes, the luggage storage area is right next to the luggage drop off that you use before your cruise. You don’t even need to go outside. They tag each bag with a claim tag, so you get the correct bag when you pick up your bags.

For flower / botanical lovers I would recommend the Foster Garden close to Downtown Honolulu. Bus #4 takes you just a block away. Lots of orchids and exotic tropical flowers and trees. Only costs $5. Or a 20 -30 min walk.... And don't forget to ride the elevator up Aloha Tower to get a grand view of things... cost $0.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone else has recommended the Palace which is excellent but there is also Doris Dukes House. The tours leave regularly from the Art Gallery/Museum which is a short walk from the Port. The house is amazing and can only be accessed by the tour bus from the museum and is pretty popular so would need to be booked at least a couple of weeks in advance. If you are interested in a quick look at what you can see

http://roscoesseafever.blogspot.com/2018/06/tea-with-doris-hawaii-published.html

and if you want a preview of the Palace....

http://roscoesseafever.blogspot.com/2018/04/hawaii-but-not-as-you-expect-it.html

Certainly either of the venues offer really different experiences from the usual hype of Oahu.

Edited by roscoe39