Help! 14 day carnival hawaii cruise (out of lax) vs 7 day ncl hawaii cruise out of hi

aurra

Hello Fellow Cruise lovers!

We are a young couple looking to spend about 2 weeks in Hawaii next year.

I have recently been considering the Carnival Journeys 14 day Hawaii Cruise out of LAX (October 2019)..... has anyone sailed this itinerary before or planning to in the future?

The price seems like a great value in comparison to other cruise lines in the summer (like NCL, double the price for only 7 days June-July). Has anyone sailed on the Pride of America?

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or advice are welcomed!!

Main questions:

Is it worth the value to do 7 days in July versus 14 days in October?

We are trying to make a decision

Thank you all 1f642.png:)

I have recently been considering the Carnival Journeys 14 day Hawaii Cruise out of LAX (October 2019)..... has anyone sailed this itinerary before or planning to in the future?

The price seems like a great value in comparison to other cruise lines in the summer (like NCL, double the price for only 7 days June-July). Has anyone sailed on the Pride of America?

Main questions:

It all depends what you are looking for. The POA does 7-day cruise every week, so you don't have to limit yourself to June or July. The ship acts as a floating hotel. Hawaii is the focus, and not the ship.

The POA will overnight in Maui and Kauai as well as doing the Big Island and Oahu. Carnival is skipping Kauai for some reason, and we doubt there are any overnight stops.

Most cruise lines coming from the mainland take four or five days to get here and the same to get back. Are you looking for that many sea days? Many people love that. Make a list of what is most important to you and see which pleases you the most.

As mentioned, it all depends on what you are looking for. An in depth experience, or a brief introduction?

If I had 14 or so days, I would probably skip the cruise, and do a land trip of, say, 3 islands, 5 days each, for an in depth experience.

I'm with the PP. 14 days would give you a wonderful land vacation (however I would probably pick just 2 islands and do 7 days each). There is no way I would spend so much of the time at sea when I could be in Hawaii. You could also do the 7-day NCL cruise and 7 days on land on one island if budget permits. That would really be the best of both. You can also post on the Carnival and NCL boards about the particular ships and itineraries.

If you have 14 days and really want to see Hawaii and not just a simple tour at each stop, then just fly there and spend time on the islands.

We're doing a 14-day Journey's cruise, but only because my wife can't tolerate long flights and she loves sea days. Yes, we've had to be very picky with what to do in each port, but that's just how it is with these cruises.

Hello Fellow Cruise lovers!

We are a young couple looking to spend about 2 weeks in Hawaii next year.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or advice are welcomed!!

Main questions:

We are trying to make a decision

Thank you all 1f642.png:)

We did the 7 day NCL cruise around Hawaii. It was wonderful. It was my husband's alltime favorite trip. We arrived in Oahu 4 days early to get rid of jet lag and see Oahu more in depth. I definitely recommend the cruise and adding time on land either before or after the cruise. Best of both worlds.

Our first visit to Hawaii was to sail on the now-defunct Amer. Hawaii 7-day cruise (Pride of America has since replaced it) 20 years ago. It was a great introduction to the islands and we've been back every 4-5 years since on our own, choosing 2 islands (not Oahu) to visit over a 10-14 day period. Has worked great for us.

I have done a 15-day RT to Hawaii from LA on Princess many years ago and since then have done a few land vacations. It really does depend on if you love sea days. We specifically chose the itinerary because my husband hates to fly and it was the only way I was going to get to Hawaii. It was a nice taster of the islands (although we had to skip the Kona port) and was enough to get my husband to fly back there 3 more times. I absolutely love sea days, he does not. It is a LOT of sea days, some of which can be quite rough. Again - I loved it. Many do not. If you are set on cruising instead of a land vacation, the question really will be about how much you both like sea days. I only do land vacations there now, but if cruising was an important part of the vacation to me, I would do a combo island cruise/land stay.

Thank you everyone, this thread has been so helpful!

Carnival Fascination – June 2005 – 3 Day Bahamas

Carnival Liberty – July 2009 – 7 Day Western Caribbean

Norwegian Sky – August 2011 – 5 Day Bahamas

Carnival Breeze – July 2013 – 7 Day Eastern Caribbean

Norwegian Sky – July 2015 – 3 Day Bahamas

Carnival Breeze – August 2015 – 8 Day Southern Caribbean

Carnival Splendor – May 2016 – 9 Day Bermuda - Carnival Journeys

Norwegian Sky – October 2017 – 3 Day Bahamas

NEXT: Norwegian Epic – July 2019 – 7 Day Western Mediterranean!!**

We are going to be on the Carnival Splendor this October for the Journey cruise to Hawaii. We'll see how the sea days go - I'm hoping I'll finally relax enough to enjoy the sites!

One question I don't seem to find anywhere is what the weather will be like "mid-ocean" and that time of year?? Temperatures??

BlondeValor…… if you are sailing out of Long Beach you can expect the weather to be cool the next day. Once you get into the westerly wind currents day two will be warm enough to probably wear shorts. Should be smooth sailing after that. Enjoy those nice sea days.

One question I don't seem to find anywhere is what the weather will be like "mid-ocean" and that time of year?? Temperatures??

Discussed here regularly. Cooler (and the seas a bit rougher) the first couple of days away from the west coast, and the last couple of days going back. Warming as you approach Hawaii, and for the first couple of days coming back.

Compared to what? The temps in the departure city...a little research on what those generally are (nobody is going to be able to predict) will get you some ideas. Say, mid to upper 50s for highs.

BlondeValor…… if you are sailing out of Long Beach you can expect the weather to be cool the next day. Once you get into the westerly wind currents day two will be warm enough to probably wear shorts. Should be smooth sailing after that. Enjoy those nice sea days.

Thank you so much!!

I've done the RT out of San Diego on Norwegian and liked it, such as it was, but I'd never do it again. I grew up on Oahu so seeing the islands wasn't the reason for going, it was just to cruise.

I'd either do all land based for two weeks splitting 7 & 7 on Oahu and Kauai or do a 7 day cruise and 7 days on Oahu.

Daughter& I will be on the Emerald March 11th out of San Pedro. We love the sea days so don't mind the 15 days, If you want to see more of the islands your better probably to do a land trip so you can spend more time on each. Have never grown tired of visiting the Hawaiian Islands.

We've done the PCL 15 day once, and I think it is the best cruise I've ever done. We're scheduled for the same cruise (LA to HI and back) in October, 2018. Can't wait. Last year we did a family reunion on Maui for 7 days, and it was also great! But for me, the more days laying on my butt, sipping a drink, and reading by the pool is what I really want out of cruising. When I want to see ports and cities, I take Viking River Cruises, and will try their ocean cruises next year. They look expensive, but EVERYTHING is included on board. Had a friend who was given a gift of OBC, and had no way to use it. She bought two jackets, just t use up the money?!?!

Also, quick comment on weather. Many people say 1-2 days 'cold.' If you count sail away as one day, then it will be two days of weather similar to home port. If you don't count it, then it will be one day. Also, there can be some rough patches on those days coming and going. This has to do with the Pacific Current meeting on-shore winds, and the ship sailing outbound. They all meet at the same place, and can cause some roughness. For me, it only meant holding on to my drink tighter. LOL

I have been to all the Hawaiian islands several times. Last month my husband and I sailed on the Pride of America and we LOVED it! We were in a different port everyday and really experienced all that Hawaii has to offer. Out of our six vacations in Hawaii this was by far the Best! The POA has a wonderful Hawaiian ambassador on board for the entire sailing and she is so informative. We learned so much from her port talks about the history and culture of the islands. There were so many opportunities to make leis of various kinds (all free) and enjoy Hawaiian musicians. As an added bonus, we were able to,view the spectacular volcano eruption from the ocean at night.....it was incredible! POA also gives you a great view of 5e Nepali coast. Go....you will. Love it!!

We are going to be on the Carnival Splendor this October for the Journey cruise to Hawaii. We'll see how the sea days go - I'm hoping I'll finally relax enough to enjoy the sites!

I am interested in the weather as well. DH and I will be on the NCL Jewel Vancouver to Hawaii in October

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Daughter & I will be on the Emerald Princess next March, 15 days, but I love the sea days, daughter not as much. for me I would prefer to cruise the 5 days over & back and see the Islands then the 6 hours of flying over & back. It really depends on what you feel you will enjoy the most. Compare the cost of flying over and visiting the Islands with food etc against cruising over & back.