Caribbean ports w/ baby and toddler

lady_aj

We are doing a family vacation with grandparents, toddler (2.5yo) and baby (10months) for 11 nights on Celebrity Equinox. This is our first Celebrity cruise and first one with the littles. I've been combing the boards for travel advice and have found a lot of helpful hints for onboard the ship (inflatable pool, borrow toys from Fun Factory, etc) - thank you! Still all ears for any other on board tips but haven't read much about days in port. Does anyone have feedback for what to do in port? Specifically the following:

Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas)

St Croix

St John's, Antigua and Barbuda

Barbados

St. Lucia

Philipsburg (St. Maarten)

I don't plan to do any ship shore excursions. Should I plan every destination ahead (private tours) or will there be plentiful options upon arrival, eg can we just hail a cab or two and have them drive us around?

thanks for any and all feedback!

Inflatable TUB...not a pool! It will need to fit inside the shower for bathing, too!

As far as ports go...a bit of research via google or a guidebook will tell you ALL there is in each place, including "kid friendly" things. Also, you can find out about transportation, so you can DIY on your own schedule...important with littles!

I just took my 1.5 and 2.5 year kiddos to St. Maarten and St. Thomas. At both stops we shopped first and then went to a beach. In St. Thomas we went to Magens Bay and in St. Maarten went to the beach right beside the water taxi. In Magens Bay, we took a taxi and brought our beach toys and hung out by the lifeguard station since there was shade. At the beach in SXM, we rented 2 chairs and an umbrella. Both beaches and ports were great and we were able to keep the kids from getting too much sun.

With this trip and the last cruise in November, we didn't book any shore excursions and just took taxis everywhere we went.

• 2 weeks later...
I just took my 1.5 and 2.5 year kiddos to St. Maarten and St. Thomas. At both stops we shopped first and then went to a beach. In St. Thomas we went to Magens Bay and in St. Maarten went to the beach right beside the water taxi. In Magens Bay, we took a taxi and brought our beach toys and hung out by the lifeguard station since there was shade. At the beach in SXM, we rented 2 chairs and an umbrella. Both beaches and ports were great and we were able to keep the kids from getting too much sun.

With this trip and the last cruise in November, we didn't book any shore excursions and just took taxis everywhere we went.

Just curious did you bring car seats? We are cruising with a 14month old and a 3 year old. We plan on doing mostly beach days, but are worried about the whole car seat issue. Thanks :)

Just curious did you bring car seats? We are cruising with a 14month old and a 3 year old. We plan on doing mostly beach days, but are worried about the whole car seat issue. Thanks :)

Nope, no car seats. Have cruised twice with both kids and haven't needed them.

We are doing a family vacation with grandparents, toddler (2.5yo) and baby (10months) for 11 nights on Celebrity Equinox. This is our first Celebrity cruise and first one with the littles. I've been combing the boards for travel advice and have found a lot of helpful hints for onboard the ship (inflatable pool, borrow toys from Fun Factory, etc) - thank you! Still all ears for any other on board tips but haven't read much about days in port. Does anyone have feedback for what to do in port? Specifically the following:

Charlotte Amalie (St Thomas)

St Croix

St John's, Antigua and Barbuda

Barbados

St. Lucia

Philipsburg (St. Maarten)

I don't plan to do any ship shore excursions. Should I plan every destination ahead (private tours) or will there be plentiful options upon arrival, eg can we just hail a cab or two and have them drive us around?

thanks for any and all feedback!

With children I would plan ahead. In St Thomas you can do the aquarium. Barbados I would book a beach day, perhaps combined with a trip to the cave (which is viewed by riding a tram). St Lucia I am stumped because for us the big draw was a boat trip to Pitons (not baby friendly). St Croix is probably another beach day and it’s been forever since I have been to Antigua so no help on that one.

St. Martin definitely requires planning - she is still a disaster from the hurricane. There are few open beaches (and what was open like Maho was packed). I am not sure I would get off the ship with babies here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums