Pearl Harbor on your own?

Jgilbert813

I'm wondering if anyone ever jumped off the boat early and grabbed a cab to head over to Pearl Harbor instead of going with a tour. I really want to visit and pay my respects, but my wife doesn't want to spend 5 or 6 hours on a Pearl Harbor tour.

We dock at 9, but I'm not sure if that is early enough to beat the crowds.

Any help would be appreciated.

First of all, it is a ship.

There are many discussions on what you are suggesting. It is a perfectly good idea, and has been done many times. 9 am will be at the start of the rush...I bet you are docked and people are getting off before 9am. We have arrived at Pearl Harbor shortly after 8am twice, and have had no problem getting tickets very quickly.

When are you going? Arizona has not be open due to maintenance issues of the dock. Not sure of the current status...check their website.

Here’s their current update

https://www.nps.gov/valr/faqs.htm

UPDATE: The USS Arizona Memorial will remain closed through fall, with a reopening date expected to be AFTER October 1, 2018. We cannot be sure at this time of the exact date of reopening. Please take a look at this LA Times article for more information.

Boat transportation to the USS Arizona Memorial has been suspended for several months due to movement of the loading dock and corresponding movement of the loading ramp to the memorial, which poses a safety concern for our visitors. The memorial itself has not suffered any significant damage. This issue is unrelated to any previous event involving the loading dock. We are working diligently to implement solutions to allow visitor access to resume as quickly as possible. Additional updates will be provided via our website and Facebook page.

Despite the restriction of visitor access to the Memorial, USS Arizona Memorial programs are running as scheduled and TICKETS ARE STILL REQUIRED. Instead of taking a boat to the memorial and disembarking there, visitors are taken on a 15-minute narrated harbor tour of Battleship Row and the area around the USS Arizona Memorial. In addition, the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center, museums, and bookstore are open as usual from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, seven days a week.

Our partner sites – the Battleship Missouri Memorial, the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum and Park, and the Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor – are also open as usual.

• 4 weeks later...

I was in the US Navy, and was in and out of Pearl countless times. But that was almost 50 years ago.

We are torn between a Tour or on our own.

I belong to a Facebook group of 7th fleet sailors and Fellow Vietnam vets, and Pearl harbor comes up in discussions.

I have learned little gems to see and do, some from people stationed there right now, that I am not sure a Tour will get to.

For instance...be at the USS Utah on the other side of Ford Island when they lower the colors (flag) at sundown.

Very Moving.

[quote=B-52;57026962

For instance...be at the USS Utah on the other side of Ford Island when they lower the colors (flag) at sundown.

Very Moving.

Unless you are in the military or have access to Ford island you are not going to get to the Utah. Ford Island is part of Joint Base Pearl Harbor and an active military base and the only way for non military folks is via the bus and they take you to the aviation museum and Missouri. Sadly not to the Utah. As a former Navy guy myself I would love to visit the Utah.

• 4 weeks later...