Most Active Cruise?

Frenchberet

Hi, we just returned from our first Viking ocean cruise "Into the Midnight Sun", and loved it. We enjoyed several of the optional excursions like deep sea fishing, king crab safari, and hiking with huskies.

We are looking at itineraries for our next cruise and although we like city walks and museums, we'd really like to do some more active excursions. Just wondering if you've done any Viking cruises that offered opportunities to be a bit more adventurous.

We also just did the Midnight Sun cruise and agree that we loved it and liked especially to be more active. It seems that many of the Viking Ocean included tours are just panoramic. We only booked one optional because we thought they were rather expensive. For instance we hiked to the farm in Geiranger by ourselves at nc and took the funicular in Bergen without doing the tour. We did arrange for two private excursions, one in Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, which was fantastic. We saw many wonderful sites in a smaller vehicle with just the guide and one other couple. Through CC we found 5 others to join us for a tour on Lofoten, also much less expensive and more personal than a large group tour on a bus, organized by Viking. In most of the ports, we wandered around on our own at least part of the day.

Viking is really aimed at us geezers. On Viking Homelands we took the tram up the mountain in Bergen, but I hiked the several Km down to and through the town to work off the excellent food. V Homies did have a kayak tour option, but a 40ish guy lamented to me a lack of more adventurous options. With creativity you can find your way to add more adventure to their tours. Viking is not aimed at a more physical demographic. Mainly because the people with the time and money to take the cruises are geezers.

As I have been looking at the itineraries of the Ocean cruises and all the optional excursions they are adding, I get the impression Viking is adding a lot of more active excursions (always optional) to target a bit younger demographic. I have done only one Viking ocean but there were a lot more younger couples on the "Into the Midnight Sun" cruise than we have found on the river cruises.

A nice mix of excursions but you will almost certainly have to do optionals for things like hiking, biking, kayaking.

Yes, do optional tours or plan your own. Planning your own can be tricky in small towns since the cruise may take over all of the tour options. Changes in port arrival times can impact privates also but I had good luck with the two I planned.