Luggage forward service thru Viking?

wheredowegonext

I noticed on MVJ an option for using “luggage forward” service to get your bag(s) to the ship without lugging it/them through the airport.

I am considering this because I’m doing a 4-day pre-cruise extension, then joining the ship for my South America cruise. I can get away with a smallish carryon for the early part, but will need more, i.e., warmer layers and sturdier shoes for the actual cruise.

Any first-hand experience would be much appreciated.

Cindy

I noticed on MVJ an option for using “luggage forward” service to get your bag(s) to the ship without lugging it/them through the airport.

I am considering this because I’m doing a 4-day pre-cruise extension, then joining the ship for my South America cruise. I can get away with a smallish carryon for the early part, but will need more, i.e., warmer layers and sturdier shoes for the actual cruise.

Any first-hand experience would be much appreciated.

Cindy

What cruise are you taking? We are on Miami to South America.

What cruise are you taking? We are on Miami to South America.

Hello vnb2003,

I am on the Buenos Aires to Santiago leg on Viking Sun, January 25, 2019.

My pre-cruise extension starts in Rio de Janeiro.

Are you continuing all the way to Chile, or getting off in Buenos Aires?

Hello vnb2003,

I am on the Buenos Aires to Santiago leg on Viking Sun, January 25, 2019.

My pre-cruise extension starts in Rio de Janeiro.

Are you continuing all the way to Chile, or getting off in Buenos Aires?

Unfortunately getting off in Buenos Aires :(

We used this service on the World Cruise and it went flawlessly. Shipped two bags (heavy bags) to the ship and we enjoyed traveling with only carry ons. :cool:

The Best - No Problems - No Lugging!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 years later...
On 8/15/2018 at 12:36 PM, Jim Avery said:

We used this service on the World Cruise and it went flawlessly. Shipped two bags (heavy bags) to the ship and we enjoyed traveling with only carry ons. 🆒

Jim, if we use them from the ship on the return, do you recall if we have to hand the bag to them or does Viking get it too them without us being present on disembarkation as we will have a very early flight home.

I’m sure Jim will chime in,  but since I’m here... on our 2019 WC we had a very early flight home too.  We had to meet in the atrium at 3:45.  But Viking picked up the luggage the night before and got it to Luggage Forward.  It was all very easy, and luggage arrived home two days after we did.  Best money we ever spent!  We plan on doing it from now on!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SantaFe is right again.  Well worth paying the return fee.  Loved being able to ship bags with large size consumables (mouthwash, etc.) and not worrying about getting through security.  Then we had plenty of room for all the junk we collected along the way.  We say we don't get into souvenirs but we still managed to need the space.  Viking makes it all easy.🍸

• Thanks 1

I imagine that it would also be a great idea if you planned on staying in London ( or anywhere else in Europe at the end of the trip ) and didn't want to drag all that extra luggage around. Can't imagine that Viking wouldn't give the luggage to the Luggage Forward people if you were not taking a flight right at the end of the trip.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vslparis said:

I imagine that it would also be a great idea if you planned on staying in London ( or anywhere else in Europe at the end of the trip ) and didn't want to drag all that extra luggage around. Can't imagine that Viking wouldn't give the luggage to the Luggage Forward people if you were not taking a flight right at the end of the trip.  

If staying in London for a few days you also have Airportr Baggage Services. They pick your luggage up from the hotel and deliver to your airline at LHR. Still have to handle the bags at your home airport, but lots cheaper than Luggage Forward.

We give them our bags, take the Tube out to LHR, head straight to Security and are usually in the First/Business Lounge within 1/2 hr of getting off the train.

• Like 2