Iceland’s Majestic Homelands

Babr

I’ve been looking for reviews of this cruise, but I’m coming up short. Is this a new itinerary?

I’m wondering about the excursions on this sailing or other Scandinavian / Northern Europe ones because I am not comfortable doing bus tours on steep, winding narrow roads. Are there enough choices to allow me to see things without doing the white-knuckle rides?

Descriptions of the tours that Viking is planning to offer in each port is on the Viking website: https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/icelands-majestic-landscapes/index.html#itineraryday/2

Viking has already called at some of these ports on its Into the Midnight Sun and In the Wake of the Vikings itineraries.

Here is what I remember encountering when we did Midnight Sun in 2016.

Bergen--the included tour used to be a walking tour of the Bryggen area in the old port, not far from where the ship usually docks. Now it is a bus tour and honestly I never got further from the ship than I could walk.

Geiranger -- the only place it is flat is along the water near the dock. Any tour that is on a bus will be on narrow curving roads. However, you can take a nice boat ride on the fjord. The view is a lot different a few feet off the water vs 6 stories up on a cruise ship. There are a few more things to do in town but all of them are up hill or up steps from the dock area.

Alesund itself is flat but once you leave town, you will encounter winding roads. It is like this in a lot of Norway; it is not a flat landscape.

Shetlands roads are narrow but not much in the way of switch-backs,more like driving through gently rolling hills.

We did not get to Flam, Faroes Islands or Iceland.

Thank you for the replies.

I expected mountain roads in this part of the world. I was hoping for alternatives, but I’m sure the most spectacular scenery is not in town.

It is the steep drop-off right outside the bus window that bothers me - no room for mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Iceland on our own, not on a cruise. (I forget what month it was, but it was summer - I don't know if I'd be up for Iceland in winter!!) We rented a car and drove the circular route (Golden Circle?) that's very popular for people going to Reykjavik. There were few places with any elevation. Reykjavik itself is flat, so no scary dropoffs.

I don't know if you're going to Nordkapp, the North Cape, but if so, the trip up to the Cape (which Viking provided as the included tour) was probably a little scary for people who don't like curvy mountain roads. Also don't know if you go to Kirwall, Orkney Islands. It's pretty much like the Shetlands - rolling hills, not scary.

Thanks for the reassurance, Roothy 123. I have been reading the descriptions of the shore excursions, and I found a few in Norway with disclaimers that they were not suitable for people who are uncomfortable with heights. I’ve also been watching some youtube videos of popular tourist sites in Noway and Iceland to get a feel for things. With a little planning, I’m confident I’ll be able to enjoy the trip.

We did a Grand Circle Tour in Iceland on our 2015 WC and don't believe you would have any issues with the tour, as I wouldn't describe any of the route as driving on mountainous roads. Departing Reykjavik we passed through some hills, but it was on a high speed road. The roads around the fault line were probably the worst, but no drop-offs.

Anyone on the August 1, 2019 cruise?

My wife and I are booked on the August 1st trip. Been so since this time last year when the itinerary was announced. We are really looking forward to it! Please join our roll call: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2554517 . Not much going on right now but I expect it to pick up as the ship is just about sold out.

My wife and I are booked on the August 1st trip. Been so since this time last year when the itinerary was announced. We are really looking forward to it! Please join our roll call: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2554517 . Not much going on right now but I expect it to pick up as the ship is just about sold out.

We are also booked on the August 1 cruise and like you we booked it when the itinerary was first announced. The cruise is almost sold out. I think it will be a great cruise!