Portland, Maine

Melady

The Old Port shopping and restaurant area is adjacent to the cruise terminal. Virtually everything in downtown Portland is within 3/4 mile of the terminal. In addition to sites mentioned, there is the Longfellow home and museum, the Portland Observatory for views of Casco Bay, Shipyard Brewery tours, the famous "lobsterman" statue, the director John Ford statue, the Victorian mansion for a restored Victorian home tour, the Eastern Prom walkway for more views of Casco Bay, the Casco Bay Ferry mailboat run to the islands of Casco Bay, and schooner cruises in Casco Bay.

• Like 1

The Old Port shopping and restaurant area is adjacent to the cruise terminal. Virtually everything in downtown Portland is within 3/4 mile of the terminal. In addition to sites mentioned, there is the Longfellow home and museum, the Portland Observatory for views of Casco Bay, Shipyard Brewery tours, the famous "lobsterman" statue, the director John Ford statue, the Victorian mansion for a restored Victorian home tour, the Eastern Prom walkway for more views of Casco Bay, the Casco Bay Ferry mailboat run to the islands of Casco Bay, and schooner cruises in Casco Bay.

If you are a hearty soul (the ocean in Maine is COLD, even in August), if you take the Eastern Promenade walkway, you will end up at East End Beach. Free but no amenities (except restrooms).

Lisa

• 2 months later...
Yes, it is a very cute little town with lots of unique shops and restaurants.

More like a small city with 67,000 people who live there permanently. The Old Port district near the ship has a tremendous amount to offer - just walking around is the way to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's what the five of us did recently in Portland. Walked to Holy Donut shop and each selected a donut. (Huge and delicious which we ate at a nearby small park bench). Continued walking up the hill and took the 11:00 Eastern Cemetery Tour. Continued along that street and visited the Old Observatory. Left there and walked to the end of street to stroll along the Eastern Promenade which eventually wound back at the ship. Had a late lunch in town. Made for a very fun day.

• Like 2

Here's what the five of us did recently in Portland. Walked to Holy Donut shop and each selected a donut. (Huge and delicious which we ate at a nearby small park bench). Continued walking up the hill and took the 11:00 Eastern Cemetery Tour. Continued along that street and visited the Old Observatory. Left there and walked to the end of street to stroll along the Eastern Promenade which eventually wound back at the ship. Had a late lunch in town. Made for a very fun day.

This is exactly what I have planned, with a brewery or two thrown in the mix. Glad it was a fun day and now I'm even more excited!

If you had a choice, would you take a city tour of Portland or the one to Kennebunkport?

I wouldn't consider the Kennebunkport...a long drive not worth it ..... Stay in Portland...there's a city tour that uses an old fire engine...Google it for more info.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/17/2018 at 10:26 AM, rimmit said:

It’s a nice area to walk around.

https://thesmallworldfamily.com/2018/09/02/canada-and-new-england-live-blog-day-4/

That was what we did in Portland that day. We took a tour and walked around for a bit.

What beautiful pictures and a great blog!  Thank you for sharing.  I am thinking that we will copy your day.  

• 7 months later...

If you're visiting Portland and need to have a gluten-free bakery fix, I highly recommend Bam Bam Bakery. My sister has celiac disease and it has made us really appreciate the top-notch GF places in ports. Hope this is helpful to someone!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Check out Maine Foodie Tours. I've done their tours in Portland and Bar Harbor. Excellent guides, especially in Portland, and nice selection of food stops. Contact them to see if their tours can do GF choices. It isn't all baked goods, so some stops might not be an issue for GF.

• 1 month later...

My sister uses the app called Find Me Gluten Free (or similar name). We had a good lunch in Portland at a sandwich shop that offered GF options. Turned out the owner's wife had to avoid gluten.