Newport, Rhode Island Favorite Restaurants Please!?

nini

My wife and I are on a cruise this month too and will be visiting Newport, RI along with Boston, Bar Harbor, Saint John, NB, and Halifax NS. Apparently, there are lots of great seafood eateries in all these ports. Based on my research we are leaning towards trying The Black Pearl (know for their clam chowder), The Mooring, and Brick Alley Pub. Of course, these are just a few of the great places. Hopefully, other cruisers who have been to Newport, RI and the other ports will way in with their suggestions. In the meantime, you might check out this link called Toms Port Guide for Newport RI: https://www.tomsportguides.com/uploads/5/8/5/4/58547429/newport-rhode-island-08-25-2013.pdf. Tom has done a nice job summing up his visit to this and the other puts along the New England/Canada route. By the way, we will be departing on the Regal Princess next Saturday, 9/22. Hope this helps get you started. Lee and Shelley

Each time we visit Newport RI we always go to The Red Parrot on Thames Street.

Have are always satisified with the quality and service with a variety on the menu.

We are booked on a sailing next year and will do some updated research but keeping The Red Parrot as first choice.

Let us know which restaurants you end up going to. Im on a cruise out of Boston in October and have 4 days pre-cruise.

I grew up in Boston so going home to see family, foliage and hop on a cruise.

One of the 4 pre cruise days I will be taking the other Golden Girls who are coming with me on the cruise to Newport RI to see the mansions.

Newport is filled with wonderful restaurants. Of the restaurants in the Harbor District in Newport, my vote would be for the Mooring. The Mooring has the BEST clam chowder and the scallop chowder is very popular also. We typically eat at the bar. We love the bar tenders and it is more fun/entertaining than eating at a table. They all know the menu and specials well and give great advice. However, if it is a nice day, the view from the porch is lovely.

We also enjoy 22 Bowen's especially sitting on the patio on a beautiful day.

The best lobster is one fresh off of the boat and that is what you get at The Newport Lobster Shack. It is located on Long Wharf about a block down from the park where the tenders dock. They are a group of lobsterment with a food truck. All of their food is fresh and delicious!

Many people enjoy Brick Alley Pub is very popular, but it doesn't really appeal to my husband and me. I have always liked The Black Pearl, but I had an incident at The Black Pearl in July that will result in my needing a long break before I go back.

If you don't mind a bit of a walk, there are loads of amazing places on Broadway. It isn't that far and every step is steeped in history.

Enjoy!

We were in Newport yesterday and because it took SO long to get a tender into town, we had just enough time to to purchase tickets for a 1.5 hour "trolley tour" for sightseeing and then get in line for the tender boats back to the ship. So, no lunch in Newport. But the tour and guide was excellent! ;););):)

We were in Newport yesterday and because it took SO long to get a tender into town, we had just enough time to to purchase tickets for a 1.5 hour "trolley tour" for sightseeing and then get in line for the tender boats back to the ship. So, no lunch in Newport. But the tour and guide was excellent! ;););):)

Just curious, but why did it take so long to get a tender??

SBtS