Twice a day service...

Ugh. I am DREADING this part of our upcoming cruises. On my last cruise in October of 2016, when the steward asked whether I wanted morning or evening service, and I politely requested both, he definitely gave me an attitude and told me I should only pick one. Having knowing that I was allowed to request both, I clarified that I wanted twice daily service.

He didn’t speak to us for the rest of the cruise when he saw us in the hallway. [emoji19] I’ve always loved my interactions with stewards until that cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ugh. I am DREADING this part of our upcoming cruises. On my last cruise in October of 2016, when the steward asked whether I wanted morning or evening service, and I politely requested both, he definitely gave me an attitude and told me I should only pick one. Having knowing that I was allowed to request both, I clarified that I wanted twice daily service.

He didn’t speak to us for the rest of the cruise when he saw us in the hallway. [emoji19] I’ve always loved my interactions with stewards until that cruise.

Many people prefer once a day, it is a question they ask. You can choose one of three answers. I can guarantee your answer will not affect the friendship between you and the room steward.

Many people prefer once a day, it is a question they ask. You can choose one of three answers. I can guarantee your answer will not affect the friendship between you and the room steward.

Jimbo, you can hardly guarantee it if the poster has experienced the opposite.

Our room stewards have so far agreed to twice a day service with a smile. Apparently heatherkristen's experience was different.

Jimbo, you can hardly guarantee it if the poster has experienced the opposite.

Our room stewards have so far agreed to twice a day service with a smile. Apparently heatherkristen's experience was different.

The point was that they were not friends before the cruise and won't be after the cruise. The real point is pick what YOU want for the reasons YOU want (the you is generalized to mean anybody). As a semi related side note, we asked our room steward on the Horizon how many cabins picked "both" when asked. Her answer (obviously not scientific) was about 60% and most of these were plats or diamonds. I asked how that impacted her doing her job and her answer was there were also the people that slept in late, affecting her completing her job.

I would have reported him. You are entitled to be treated with respect and it is your right to choose twice daily service. I know that that is what I will be picking.

I would have reported him. You are entitled to be treated with respect and it is your right to choose twice daily service. I know that that is what I will be picking.

My husband suggested the same. I didn’t want to get him in trouble, even though I know he was definitely in the wrong.

My husband suggested the same. I didn’t want to get him in trouble, even though I know he was definitely in the wrong.

I probably would have said something to the Deck Supervisor and if nothing changes, I probably would then consider reaching out to the Hotel Director.

I wake up, get breakfast and then go to breakfast/pool/port. We come back to shower and get ready for dinner and the night. My ice is stocked, towels are fresh, bed is made, etc. Anything else is completely unnecessary for me, even if it is "available." I also don't want them coming in when I am in the room. If I really need something, I call and they help me out.

No offense, but I find a lot of these responses to be snobby. If you can really use the extra service, then by all means get it. We all have worked hard for our money. No need to tell us why you deserve it twice. Carnival employees are there to help us with literally anything we need. I don't find myself getting whatever I can just because I feel entitled to it though.

Funny how you tell others not to say why they need it twice, but you explain why you only need it once. What is the difference?

Twice for us. Naps/showers usually occur during the day especially after a port, especially since there is no such thing as a nap in my normal life. I like the bed made for the nap and when I turn in for the night.

(y) Exactly. I require the level of service we've become accustomed to, which is a big part of why we've made cruising one of our most frequent vacations. I simply don't understand why anyone would imply it's wrong to want that. I treat the crew with courtesy, am polite and tip appropriately. What I don't do is consider how to make their jobs easier by settling for less on my vacation (which, btw, I've earned by doing my job without expecting pity from my valuable customers).

That about sums it up perfectly.

We always have twice a day service. Never had a problem with any room steward. They always do a great job! We also give a cash tip on the first and last days, along with CCL tip added tip to the sail-n-sign account.

Personally, I feel bad for the stewards who have a lot of work to do. They are so friendly, and give great service. 2x is really not "included", but they will do it if asked.

2x daily has been standard on every cruise I've been on-I've never been asked at all anything about service from our steward aside from whether we wanted the kids' bunks put totally away or just made up. I agree that for the most part the housekeeping staff are very friendly and that they do work quite hard. But, there are some times that staff ISN'T friendly and you can't always just assume it's the passenger's fault. I actually had a cabin steward tell me that if my son was HIS son, he wouldn't put up with my son's attitude. That was pretty shocking.

2x daily has been standard on every cruise I've been on-I've never been asked at all anything about service from our steward aside from whether we wanted the kids' bunks put totally away or just made up. I agree that for the most part the housekeeping staff are very friendly and that they do work quite hard. But, there are some times that staff ISN'T friendly and you can't always just assume it's the passenger's fault. I actually had a cabin steward tell me that if my son was HIS son, he wouldn't put up with my son's attitude. That was pretty shocking.

Makes one want to know what he did

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To be fair, my son was being an ass. He was 15 and didn't want to get up and get out of the cabin-it's been nearly 15 years so I can't remember exactly what his problem was, but I was fussing at him to act like he had some manners and the steward was standing outside the (open) cabin door waiting for us to leave so he could get in. As I was walking out so my son could change out of his pajamas, the steward said to me something along the lines of in his family, a son who acted like that was a disgrace.

I was pretty shocked, but then I just figured the steward was pissed that my kid was holding up his day-and I've never had any other cruise staff be anything but super in my face friendly. Everyone has bad days, he was an excellent steward and just wasn't a fan of my son. Honestly, I wasn't either when he was 15.

To be fair, my son was being an ass. He was 15 and didn't want to get up and get out of the cabin-it's been nearly 15 years so I can't remember exactly what his problem was, but I was fussing at him to act like he had some manners and the steward was standing outside the (open) cabin door waiting for us to leave so he could get in. As I was walking out so my son could change out of his pajamas, the steward said to me something along the lines of in his family, a son who acted like that was a disgrace.

I was pretty shocked, but then I just figured the steward was pissed that my kid was holding up his day-and I've never had any other cruise staff be anything but super in my face friendly. Everyone has bad days, he was an excellent steward and just wasn't a fan of my son. Honestly, I wasn't either when he was 15.

Fair enough

For the most part one time a day is less work. But in some respects it’s just twice as much work done once a day instead of half-and-half. For example, there will be twice as much trash and things will be a little more dirty so it will take longer. I myself will be asking for two times and feeling comfortable with it based on this thread. Thank you.

For the most part one time a day is less work. But in some respects it’s just twice as much work done once a day instead of half-and-half. For example, there will be twice as much trash and things will be a little more dirty so it will take longer. I myself will be asking for two times and feeling comfortable with it based on this thread. Thank you.

It takes as much effort to take out a full can of trash as it does to take out a half full can of trash. It takes as much time to vacuum up 24 hours worth of dirt as it does to vacuum up 12 hours worth of dirt. It takes as much time to clean a window that has been looked through for 24 hours as it does to clear a window that has been looked through for 12 hours. It takes as much time to clean a shower that has been showered in twice as it does to clean a shower that has been showered in four times.

It takes as much effort to take out a full can of trash as it does to take out a half full can of trash. It takes as much time to vacuum up 24 hours worth of dirt as it does to vacuum up 12 hours worth of dirt. It takes as much time to clean a window that has been looked through for 24 hours as it does to clear a window that has been looked through for 12 hours. It takes as much time to clean a shower that has been showered in twice as it does to clean a shower that has been showered in four times.

Except it is being done twice....correct? DO you do half the work emptying the trash when it is half full? Am I missing something?

The point I’m trying unsuccessfully to make is that generally it’s less work, but in the few cases where there are guests that are very messy with trays and messes etc., it would take longer.

I get it but what difference (either way actually) does that make to you? You choose whether it is morning, evening or both. For many frequent cruisers who have experienced both, they either need or want both. If they get or feel pressured for less they feel cheated or deprived and the only they can express that displeasure is in tipping (or to guest services).

The majority of new cruisers (Carnival’s model btw) have nothing to compare (unless reading about it here) and will probably pick one or the other.

I get it but what difference (either way actually) does that make to you? You choose whether it is morning, evening or both. For many frequent cruisers who have experienced both, they either need or want both. If they get or feel pressured for less they feel cheated or deprived and the only they can express that displeasure is in tipping (or to guest services).

The majority of new cruisers (Carnival’s model btw) have nothing to compare (unless reading about it here) and will probably pick one or the other.

Makes no difference to me. I was just making the point because others were saying that having to clean the room once a day is half the work and I was pointing out that isn’t so in every case

Makes no difference to me. I was just making the point because others were saying that having to clean the room once a day is half the work and I was pointing out that isn’t so in every case

Got it. Makes no difference to me either.

Except it is being done twice....correct? DO you do half the work emptying the trash when it is half full? Am I missing something?

The person said that once/day service for the most part is twice as much work done once a day. I am stating that is not the case. By what you said, you are agreeing with me.

Next time read the quote and the comment - not just the comment.

The person said that once/day service for the most part is twice as much work done once a day. I am stating that is not the case. By what you said, you are agreeing with me.

Next time read the quote and the comment - not just the comment.

I did, I should have quoted hers