Suggestions on how to show a new cruiser a great time.

frito58

I agree with a lot of the suggestions here to not overshare with one exception... make sure you give her enough guidance on what clothes to bring. If she's not aware of 'elegant night' or if you decide to do Chef's Table or want pics together, you may want to suggest that she mostly pack casual, comfortable clothes, but to bring 'one nice outfit in case we do something special'.

My friend's first cruise she didn't realize this and only brought cruise casual clothes and felt really embarrassed that she wasn't dressed to the same standard as the rest of us in our group on Elegant night. As a result, she ate by herself on the Lido deck for the second elegant night and nothing any of us said would ease her mind.

Ok your post made laugh , I'm not sure if mentioned it not we are in 2 different states so this a long distance thing for the time being so we are doing meet ups , she packs 2 suit cases for a weekend meet up . I cant imagine how much she bring for a week long cruise . But yes I did mention to her that she will need some nice clothes for 2 nights to dress up , I am even buying a new black suit to match her outfits cause I don't have one . Im sure she will pick ties to color coordinate us .

How about a steakhouse dinner? After 15+ cruises we still enjoy them.

I would let her select shore excursions and when you board, after you eat, walk the ship together so she can get the lay of the land. If she is a spa person, you could always splurge on something for her or for you as a couple.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So sorry for your loss...but I have to tell you that your post and responses just made me smile. Your joy comes right through! That alone is going to make for a wonderful trip.

We did NYE cruise last year. Each cabin received a bunch a cute hats, noisemakers, and decorations. Don't pay for it...you will get lots! Make sure you go to the countdown party too. It is a blast!

Other ideas: go to the Alchemy Bar and let her challenge the alchemists to make her a unique cocktail. Always fun. Play trivia games or bingo together.

Above all else, relax and have a great time!

First of all, so sorry for your losses.

Now I met my boyfriend on his very first cruise & my 7th. He lives in Ohio & I in NY. Its been nearly 2 years we've been living the long distance life.

Meeting him he knew nothing about cruising. He got a serious kick out of just being shown the ship, the comedy, the shows.

His 2nd cruise was with me. I planned some exciting excursions so he really got to see what cruising has to offer. He's hooked. Our 4th cruise together is next month.

So take a ship tour. Show her all of the entertainment offerings. Plan an exciting excursion. Plan a nice meal in the steakhouse or another specialty rerestaurant. Keep it casual. She will catch the bug like the rest of us!

So sorry for your loss...but I have to tell you that your post and responses just made me smile. Your joy comes right through! That alone is going to make for a wonderful trip.

We did NYE cruise last year. Each cabin received a bunch a cute hats, noisemakers, and decorations. Don't pay for it...you will get lots! Make sure you go to the countdown party too. It is a blast!

Other ideas: go to the Alchemy Bar and let her challenge the alchemists to make her a unique cocktail. Always fun. Play trivia games or bingo together.

Above all else, relax and have a great time!

Thanks and the joy she brings me makes me smile and trust me I didn't have much to smile about for a long time due to my wifes long illness. Oh I love the Alchemy bar and she loves a good cocktail so that will be fun. I googled the party and found some great youtubes so I now they will be fun . But I know we have a blast .. Oh and PS.. She is already planning an Alaskan cruise for us LOL

OP: So sorry for your loss. :( My traveling partner and I have been married for 20 years and have 7 cruises under our belts. My wife was diagnosed with MS back in 2014 and we cruise at least once/year no matter what, since we don't know what the future holds.

One of the things we want to do on our next cruise (Hawaii Journey's) is book a Dreams photo shoot. Something you might consider as well. They do an amazing job and you have a great photo package for memories.

Other things to consider:

• Spa treatments
  • Chef's Table
  • Behind the Scenes tour (Book right away when you get onboard)
  • Specialty dining

Also, contact John Heald on his page on FB and let him know your story. He often times arranges for small gifts in the cabin for those who ask and thank him.

She is already planning an Alaskan cruise for us LOL

So sorry for you loss but looks like it will turn out great if an Alaskan cruise is already in the plans. Hope you guys have great adventure together and many fantastic cruises to come!

So sorry for your loss.

I think the "don't oversell, let the cruise overdeliver" advice earlier was great.

If you're not already Platinum or Diamond, consider getting FTTF for your sailing if it isn't already sold out. Skipping a line or having quick access to your cabin would also enhance the experience.

So sorry for your loss.

I think the "don't oversell, let the cruise overdeliver" advice earlier was great.

If you're not already Platinum or Diamond, consider getting FTTF for your sailing if it isn't already sold out. Skipping a line or having quick access to your cabin would also enhance the experience.

I am platinum so we will get those perks , she jumps to the front of the line on her first cruise .

I'm very happy for you and there are so many good ideas here.

My sister had our room decorated last time and it was such a nice touch.

My Mom passed in 2013 - 2 weeks prior to what would be my parents 51st anniversary. The next two years my Dad was in complete heartbroken misery. He met a lady at Bible study and they married in a month. They are both learning new things together and it's been so wonderful for him. I've become a big believer in grasping all that life has to offer as fast as you can because we never know.

Hope the trip is perfect. I'm sure it will be. Please report back to us. We can't wait to hear!

I'm so sorry for your loss. There is a lot of great advice above. My advice, don't over think it. I'm not sure if anyone said this and I apologize if it's a repeat but my advice would be to let your new love experience and enjoy it for herself. Don't compare it to trips you'd taken with your wife and don't constantly remind her of things you and your wife did on your many trips. Act as though it's a brand new experience for you as well because, in a way, it will be. Relax and enjoy the newness of it all.

When. I read your beautiful story I cried for your loss. But then I rejoiced with your new found love. I hope you both find many more happy years to come.

Personally I would skip the decorations and have an arrangement of flowers or better roses with a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Bring some flameless candles.

My husband surprised me once by making an off cruise excursion "Dolphin Trainer for a day". It was 4 hrs long with lunch and is cheaper than what the dolphin experiences on cruise. There is only 4 people in your group and you spend 2 hrs with the dolphins. Don't know if you are in to that just putting it out there.

We were on the Miracle 2xs this year and it was our 3 time on her. Make sure you are located in a nice part of the MDR. Go there as soon as you board and find your table.

Lastly go to youtube and look up the Vista suites video, my husband made two of them, one on the 6th deck and the 4th deck.

Take a lot of pictures yourself and enjoy your cruise together, dont sweat the small stuff.

God Bless.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

So I have been on 20 plus cruises . I Lost my wife of 35 years and traveling partner to brain cancer which I thought my life ended , well the god has led me now down a path and shown me my life is not over and blessed me with crossing paths with a wonderful women who has also lost her husband before they could travel and she has never cruised so I kind of want to make her first cruise special . I kind of take it all for granted having been on so many , think I kind of forget what all the basics fun was about . I did snag us a vista suite on NYE cruise , so she is getting to start at in a great room . I am thinking of ordering room decorations , never have done that . I am getting a new black suit for formal nights , we had totally stopped dressing up and even going to the dining room on some cruises so figured we do them right . But if anyone can suggest anything else that would be great . Thanks a lot …. Steve

Well, Steve, you've spoiled her for life. How do you go down from a suite! LOL. Just have a good time and let her tell you what she kind of time she would like to have. You get to experience all this anew. Have a great time! I'm so happy for you. I can't imagine losing my traveling buddy. Gonna give him a big hug tonight and let him know how much I appreciate all our good times.

Well, Steve, you've spoiled her for life. How do you go down from a suite! LOL. Just have a good time and let her tell you what she kind of time she would like to have. You get to experience all this anew. Have a great time! I'm so happy for you. I can't imagine losing my traveling buddy. Gonna give him a big hug tonight and let him know how much I appreciate all our good times.

Do That because life is short . Thanks all for all the nice comments and wonderful suggestions. I will take all of them to heart and make it a wonderful cruise for both us .