AT&T Cruise, Talk, Text and Data? Hidden Charges? or Wi-Fi calling? Input Appreciated

JanJanG

Has anyone used the AT&T Cruise plan for on board cell use?

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/cruise-packages.html

Is it just $100 for onboard use or are there additional roaming fees. I really don't want to come home to a crazy cell phone bill; but, I will need cell use to keep up with work commitments.

The other option is wi-fi calling from my internet package. Does that work without charging roaming fees?

I would LOVE to turn my phone off and shove it in the safe; but, unfortunately that is not feasible with my job.

Any input, explanation of programs use, or personal experience with these options would be greatly appreciated.

:):)

I’ve always been under the impression that if your phone is even off airplane mode, you will run up a huge bill. I’ve never heard of any plan that makes it feasible while cruising. That’s not to say that it doesn’t exist. I just totally unplug from the internet and back home when on a cruise. That’s my vacation time. I know that you said you need it for work, but aren’t you allowed vacation time? That is your time, not your employer’s. My hubby and I were professionals prior to our retirement, and we never felt the need to stay in touch with the job. I’m so surprised of all the people that feel the need to stay in touch with their jobs. Before cell phones and internet, nobody even questioned this. When they were on vacation, they remained on vacation. But I guess times are different, and today’s work force always feels that need to stay connected. So, my advice to you is to call AT&T and clarify what they mean by this plan, or you could run up a huge bill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

WiFi calling with the premium internet plan has worked well for me in the past. This AT&T plan is definitely interesting. The fine print says the plan will be in effect when connected to Cellular at Sea so the only potential charges should be data overages or connecting in a non-covered port which if you keep data roaming off should not be an issue. Definitely give them a call to verify but it looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

I’ve always been under the impression that if your phone is even off airplane mode, you will run up a huge bill. I’ve never heard of any plan that makes it feasible while cruising. That’s not to say that it doesn’t exist. I just totally unplug from the internet and back home when on a cruise. That’s my vacation time. I know that you said you need it for work, but aren’t you allowed vacation time? That is your time, not your employer’s. My hubby and I were professionals prior to our retirement, and we never felt the need to stay in touch with the job. I’m so surprised of all the people that feel the need to stay in touch with their jobs. Before cell phones and internet, nobody even questioned this. When they were on vacation, they remained on vacation. But I guess times are different, and today’s work force always feels that need to stay connected. So, my advice to you is to call AT&T and clarify what they mean by this plan, or you could run up a huge bill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am allowed 5+ weeks off from work so if somebody needs to reach me for an urgent issue, I don’t mind.

• Like 1

While we have never used this new program ATT has, I do always use the international day pass plan they have. It is $10 a day while in port, and runs off your ATT plan, so whatever data, text, etc. you have, that is what you use. While on the ship I keep my phone in airplane mode, with data/data roaming off. I use the free Carnival hub app to keep in touch with dd on ship if I am somewhere she isn't. When I get to a port I just turn on my data and take phone off airplane mode, and get charged $10 for 24 hours. As we only go to 3-4 ports, it turns out way cheaper than the ships internet, or ATT ship plan. If I need to make a call back to dh at home, the cabin phone is $1.99 per minute, and I usually just make a fast call home - runs $2-$6.

b38400b0d223695082605abaee88ac50.jpg

My understanding of ‘cruise plans’ and the way this is worded is how I would think this works - is that they are only work in port, not at sea. This is because when you are on land you can connect to cell towers and the cellular companies work out roaming rates and agreements between each other. When you are at sea, you don’t connect to cell towers, you connect to a satellite service called ‘cellular at sea’.

It really depends on how much you need to be in touch. If it’s all day every day, you’ll probably need a combination of this cell plan for ports and WiFi on the ship for when you are at sea. If you just need to check in occasionally you can probably do one or the other.

• Like 1

I have used to AT&T plan and there were no hidden charges. Paid the flat fee and had internet access with no problems the whole cruise.

I'm still debating whether I'm going to get it for my cruise leaving this Saturday (yay!) or if I'm going to completely unplug.

Edit: Also, I did not have to pay anything extra to connect to the Cellular at Sea on the ship. The AT&T plan is all you need.

Edited by SRQbeachgirl
Added info
  • Like 1

The AT&T assured me there would be no other charges as long as the Cellular at Sea was connected. It does not work while in ports. The calling is unlimited but the data is limited but you can call to keep track on the data usages.

Enjoy.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

Has anyone used the AT&T Cruise plan for on board cell use?

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/cruise-packages.html

Is it just $100 for onboard use or are there additional roaming fees. I really don't want to come home to a crazy cell phone bill; but, I will need cell use to keep up with work commitments.

The other option is wi-fi calling from my internet package. Does that work without charging roaming fees?

I would LOVE to turn my phone off and shove it in the safe; but, unfortunately that is not feasible with my job.

Any input, explanation of programs use, or personal experience with these options would be greatly appreciated.

:):)

I think the link is self explanatory. The only reason you would come home to a huge bill is if you overuse your data. The data offered is minimal. don't try watching a movie.

The issue with “cellular at sea” is that it is only available when the ship is in international waters. You have to decide if you want to call, text, and use WiFi at sea or if you prefer at port then you need a land based international calling plan, either daily or monthly.

• Like 1

Has anyone used the pay as you go method? We have at&t and when we sail Norwegian we just make sure roaming is turned off. Texts are free to receive and 50 cents to send and i can get phone calls which i pay by the minute for. I of course do not have internet or anything like that, but i really just need to know if there's an emergency. It's our first time on carnival and i wasn't sure how it worked on their ships.

check your carrier, it's about $2,50 a minute
I have. I know the theoretical fees. I am told it doesn't work this way on Royal Caribbean, that you will be charged as if roaming. Was just wondering if anyone knows if Carnival operates like Norwegian or Royal?

• 6 months later...
On 7/15/2018 at 8:50 AM, SRQbeachgirl said:

I have used to AT&T plan and there were no hidden charges. Paid the flat fee and had internet access with no problems the whole cruise.

I'm still debating whether I'm going to get it for my cruise leaving this Saturday (yay!) or if I'm going to completely unplug.

Edit: Also, I did not have to pay anything extra to connect to the Cellular at Sea on the ship. The AT&T plan is all you need.

So using the plan...no extra charges from the ship? (Norwegian is what I'm sailing) 

• 4 weeks later...

When you’re off the ship

• Your cruise option covers you on land in Mexico, Canada, and select Caribbean islands.

I copied this from the AT&T Support page.  Did you find this to be true?  With the cruise package, you would have no additional charges for using the phone on the ship or on land  -- provided you were on a "designated" island.

Yes if you go with the $100 unlimited text and talk plan.... true for talk and text... but Data is limited and if you go over there are extra charges. They will text you when you’ve used up 80% of your data. Just make sure you deactivate any international plan you may have as you won’t need it if you are docking in a covered place as this plan would cover that.  Bottom line  Ithink it makes sense to keep phone in. Airplane mode and only use ATT designated networks while on board. Sailing Monday! 

21 hours ago, coevan said:

will airplane mode allow you to get AT&T? 

I have AT&T and I turn off only my data when we get on the ship in settings.  This allows me to receive calls and text for emergencies.  You won't get AT&T, you will get either Cellular at Sea or when on land the local carrier.  Before this plan I had the $10 international plan that allowed you to use your AT&T plan for 24 hours at $10 each 24 hour you used it.  This included calls, texts, and data but it honestly all looked like roaming.  It did not however include Cellular at Sea.  We will be traveling in a few weeks and because my husband is not going with us and he still likes to talk to the kids and I each day I am going to try the $50 plan since I won't be using any data.

I have never used the plan you mentioned.  But I do use AT&T wi-fi calling with the ship's value internet plan.  It has worked well for me.  Just make sure you turn on wi-fi calling before you get on the ship.  Put your phone in airplane mode and then connect to the ship's wi-fi.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:50 AM, SRQbeachgirl said:

On the AT&T page it indicates there is the normal charge for incoming text, pictures, and video. Do you know does this mean if I get a text, I am charged at the Cellular at Sea rate or my normal rate (that is at no additional charge for me)? 

On 7/15/2018 at 12:18 PM, Purvis1231 said:

The AT&T assured me there would be no other charges as long as the Cellular at Sea was connected. It does not work while in ports. The calling is unlimited but the data is limited but you can call to keep track on the data usages.

Enjoy.

So then this seems dumb to me. I have att and Im going to pay 50 for a week, with limited data, and 10 a day for ports? Then its better to get the ships internet and use internet calls and then pay in port.