Silver Cloud Expedition Cruise Expedition Staff

markham

I have just been reading a few recent reviews of this ship as I have am booked for summer, 2019 on one of its Arctic itineraries. I am looking forward to the unique route that is not available on other lines and Silversea’s fine Italian cuisine most of all.

My question for Silversea expedition cruiser veterans who know Cloud since she was refitted as such last January:

Please comment on the land arrangements including the charter air transfers to/from the ship in terms of efficiency and handling on the ground. Also, please comment on the (onboard) expedition team’s professionalism and service.

The recent Cloud reviews on CC show that these 2 areas let Silversea down. This is awful and not right; it was the expedition leader’s video we saw on Whisper last year that prompted me to book this very expensive cruise and he talked confidentally about how well managed his team is.

FWIW, we have cruised with the Expeditions Team on Seabourn Quest and Encore itineraries to Antarctica, Iceland/Greenland and SE Asia and they were terrific. Always visible and helpful with faultless organization. I trust that Silversea will do what is necessary and deal asap with any management, training and execution issues.

Happy and healthy sailing!

We just did the Greenland to Newfoundland cruise, and thought the expedition staff was top-notch. Obviously, their roster changes over time, but the recent group gave terrific lectures and went above and beyond with service. For example, on the many nights we were invited to watch the Aurora from the top deck, I always saw plenty of expedition crew mingling around and willing to talk--and this is when they were presumably "off duty." They were great with the zodiac trips. In one harbor with extreme tides, there were at least 6 crew in waders who had to work incredibly hard to drag the filled zodiacs across the shallow bottom in order to launch. They were really heaving and ho-ing, chest deep in cold water at times, and always smiling and laughing. I thought they all should be given the next day off! Expedition staff were friendly, and seemed happy to interact with guests at meals and around the ship. So I wouldn't worry if I were planning a trip to the Arctic!

We didn't use the Reykjavik transfer and hotel, but I heard that was a bit disorganized and disappointing. The charter from Reykjavik to Greenland was reasonably efficient, though it would have been nice to get some food onboard. It was a pretty slow process to check in, go through security, and board, so people were hungry. On departure, we used our shipboard credit to buy a transfer to the airport that was preceded by a city tour of St. Johns, and it was very good.

Edit: I just found the reviews the OP was referring to, and it appears a few were from the trip directly before ours. Maybe Greenland just isn't for everyone, but I found the variety of towns and nature a good mix for an excursion ship. I want to point out that there is a video shown at the first briefing about how to get in and out of a zodiac; it's also available on everyone's TV. IMO, safety is a huge priority on the Cloud. The expedition staff clearly explained what one should do in the boot room, and they informed us whenever possible which would be dry and wet landings. I had no trouble determining who the staff members were, and saw no inappropriate behavior. I should also add that I was really impressed with their efforts to provide kayaking experiences to all-comers, even though the weather didn't always cooperate. And the crew were able to facilitate amazing animal-viewing experiences, while still respecting the animals' space.

Edited by FauxNom
respond to reviews

I read the review. I haven't been on Cloud yet (4 cruises scheduled though, so I better like it), but I have been on Explorer 6 times, almost 100 days. There has never been any trouble distinguishing expedition staff from passengers. On Arctic trips, the passengers have bright red parkas and the staff have either blue or grey and always have name badges on.

There is a briefing where you are given clear instructions on how to get in and out of the zodiac. On some cruises, this is mandatory, whereas on others, it is not. So I guess a person could choose to not attend if it is not mandatory, but that is their issue--not Silversea.

I have just been reading a few recent reviews of this ship as I have am booked for summer, 2019 on one of its Arctic itineraries. I am looking forward to the unique route that is not available on other lines and Silversea’s fine Italian cuisine most of all.

My question for Silversea expedition cruiser veterans who know Cloud since she was refitted as such last January:

Please comment on the land arrangements including the charter air transfers to/from the ship in terms of efficiency and handling on the ground. Also, please comment on the (onboard) expedition team’s professionalism and service.

The recent Cloud reviews on CC show that these 2 areas let Silversea down. This is awful and not right; it was the expedition leader’s video we saw on Whisper last year that prompted me to book this very expensive cruise and he talked confidentally about how well managed his team is.

FWIW, we have cruised with the Expeditions Team on Seabourn Quest and Encore itineraries to Antarctica, Iceland/Greenland and SE Asia and they were terrific. Always visible and helpful with faultless organization. I trust that Silversea will do what is necessary and deal asap with any management, training and execution issues.

We cruised on the Cloud to Antarctica in February. We had a great cruise and I posted a review that you can look up on CC.

The charter flights between Santiago and Ushuaia were handled well. They also put us up in a hotel for one night in Santiago pre-cruise. The only bad part was we all had to be in the lobby at 4 in the morning to take the bus to the airport for the charter flight.

The expedition team on our cruise was first rate. We had Kara Weller as the expedition leader. Unfortunately she recently left Silversea and went to Scenic...we have booked an Arctic cruise with Scenic for 2020 but they are building two ships so we don't know if she will be on our cruise. The rest of the Cloud expedition team were all really excellent. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I am very pleased to hear from you all, FauxNom, RachelG, and Carol From California! You have added the needed "color" to the b/w

movie I was seeing in those Cloud reviews.

As long as people learn as they go- and even before they go- they will know what to do and what to expect. It makes sense that everyone see the onboard videos, do as they are told, do it on time, and that the expedition staff wear recognizable outerwear. It is also helpful to everyone else to make whatever small efforts they can to educate new cruises to these ships when we ask for it. And for all of us to participate fully to make our cruises and interactions a success.

I am very much looking forward to the Cloud cruise smaller ship experience to Greenland and Canada this August!

Markham, are you on the sailing after us? We are on August 5-14, Reykjavik round trip.

Like RachelG, we have been on Explorer (but only 4x) and we have many good things to say about it. Our last Explorer cruise may have been the best ever (review below). Expedition staff are, with rare exceptions, fantastic.

We also are looking forward to our first expedition cruise on Silver Cloud. I think it will be a great trip.

FauxNom, how would you compare Cloud to our Explorer cruise last October/November?

jpalbny,

Yes, we are on Cloud right after your cruise and we are excited to see the sights and enjoy Silversea Italian cuisine. Also on my mind is traveling on a 200 passenger luxury ship which would be our first opportunity since the old 200 passenger Seabourn triplets that were replaced by their three 450 passenger ships. It will be fun see how Whisper at 380, which we know, compares to these ships, and we hope that Cloud is very special.

Markham, I'm glad to help, and I'm sure you'll have an amazing trip!

FauxNom, how would you compare Cloud to our Explorer cruise last October/November?

JP, there's a lot to say about this one! This cruise was so different because it was a more physical adventure, with more exciting wildlife and the bonus of the Aurora borealis. Our only bus rides were in remote Arctic villages, where roads are short. Lots more Zodiac rides, and some pretty interesting weather on this trip. You kind of felt more like you were on a boat, where plans had to adapt to conditions, unlike the South America trip, where everything went according to plan except that one island we had to skip.

As for the ships, we missed the intimacy of the Explorer. While the physical space on the Cloud is nicer (cabins are great!), the Explorer is small enough that you really do feel like you meet everyone. I like having more dining options on the Cloud, which made dinner service feel like less of a crush. But sometimes I'd look around and wonder where all the people were. Alec felt strongly that the food was better on the Explorer, and I agree, but less vehemently. I suspect that's because we were on the Explorer's culinary cruise--wish they had more of those because I thought that aspect was a blast!

Staff and the expedition team were equally great on both, I thought. All told, I'd happily return to either one!

Thanks for the comparison, Kathy! It would be difficult to beat the food on our culinary cruise, I agree. Though we liked the food last week on Silver Wind, and it was certainly nice, it didn't compare to what we had on Explorer. That may have been the best cruise food ever for us.

Interesting point about the intimacy of Explorer. We have been on pre-expedition Cloud once when it was half full (maybe 160 pax out of 296 capacity) and indeed, it did feel empty. So on a Polar voyage with only 200 pax I can see how it might feel that way.

We too are looking forward to the additional dining venues on our next expedition cruises. Sounds like it will be a great trip. Happy travels wherever your next cruise is.